Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I stopped by the forum and had quick read around before I pull a trigger on 2018 RWS R8.

I have always owned a rwd cars with na engines.. Had a 2015 991.1 Porsche C2S which was a great daily driver and awesome build quality/exhaust sound.. Prior to that had a corvette c6 z06.. Which had great power but lacked build quality and wasn't nice to daily drive. They both very good resale value with very slight depreciation..

I wanted something nice and exotic.. Wanted feedback on the r8 reliability.. I found a 2018 blue rws r8 with 12000 miles asking for $85k USD. Drove great and felt really good.. Great interior and exceptional sound but not sure about long term reliability and resale value compared to my previous cars.. Appreciate some insights on those two factors just like many of us I'm OK with losing up to 5 grand a year in value..

Also being both the v10 plus and rws are same engine then where does the extra 70hp come from? Better tuning or performance exhaust?

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
So far the R8 has given me several but minor problems, snapping sound under the car that no one can figure out, peeling off exhaust pipes, random errors for the front turn signal blinker malfunction, horrible quality of their leather gets damaged pretty easily, R8 tax that you have to pay for everything. Other than that is a good car. Definitely not as overpriced as any Porsche.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far the R8 has given me several but minor problems, snapping sound under the car that no one can figure out, peeling off exhaust pipes, random errors for the front turn signal blinker malfunction, horrible quality of their leather gets damaged pretty easily, R8 tax that you have to pay for everything. Other than that is a good car. Definitely not as overpriced as any Porsche.
Were those problems done under warranty? And was it a one off or common problem? Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
85k??wht does that sound like the deal of the century?
He asked for $90k initially and I offered 85.. He also bought the car for $140k new which is the normal cost of the rws so it will have that instant depreciation I guess

·
Registered
838 Posts
Were those problems done under warranty? And was it a one off or common problem? Thanks for the tips!
tip peeling common problem for a fucking 200,000 usd car. Dealer fixed tips but techs had no idea how to fix noise under chassis... Again there you go superior German quality. Also forgot the rusting pain in brake rear caliper, only the exhaust tip was a sucssess changed under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either a scam or it comes without the engine for 85k..........
LOL won't bother further seems like you guys are stuck not knowing how non US markets value cars not to mention a global recession. I'll post some pics of the $85k if deal goes through :)

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
The guy is asking for feedback on the car so no point questioning the deal unless you have useful knowledge of the Bahrain car market.

The 70hp is just a software difference and nothing mechanical - done only to provide some separation in spec between the V10 and the V10 plus. 540hp in an RWS should be plenty.

I've owned my V10 from new - its almost 3 years old now and no issues to report; the only time it went back to the dealer was for a recall modification to the breather hose.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd pay 100k. 85k... you can flip it for $120k and make profit. If its real.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey guys.. I stopped by the forum and had quick read around before I pull a trigger on 2018 RWS R8.

I have always owned a rwd cars with na engines.. Had a 2015 991.1 Porsche C2S which was a great daily driver and awesome build quality/exhaust sound.. Prior to that had a corvette c6 z06.. Which had great power but lacked build quality and wasn't nice to daily drive. They both very good resale value with very slight depreciation..

I wanted something nice and exotic.. Wanted feedback on the r8 reliability.. I found a 2018 blue rws r8 with 12000 miles asking for $85k USD. Drove great and felt really good.. Great interior and exceptional sound but not sure about long term reliability and resale value compared to my previous cars.. Appreciate some insights on those two factors just like many of us I'm OK with losing up to 5 grand a year in value..

Also being both the v10 plus and rws are same engine then where does the extra 70hp come from? Better tuning or performance exhaust?

Thanks
R8 is as reliable as Porsche and Vette. The race cars go 12,000 miles between rebuilds and 6,000 miles between services and those are the same engine as the street car. That’s insane for a racing car. Mine is a daily driver and has had zero issues. I think people that have issues don’t drive them enough. Cars dont like to sit for long periods and then occasionally taken out and flogged. I’ve had numerous Porsche’s too and the build quality of the R8 is on par for sure, but Miles ahead of Corvette’s . The R8 is a more rare car too and you’ll get people following you, taking pictures of it, posing with it, lots of thumbs up....never had that in my Porsche’s. Resale of the RWS has already taken the big hit, should be stable now. The RWS didn’t hold it’s value like the Plus cars. When I bought my used Plus, I could have bought a brand new RWS for the same money. I wanted AWD and the extra HP, but if I didnt live someplace that needed AWD I would have taken an RWS and tuned it up to Plus power levels. That’s the only difference in the engines as far as I know. The Plus has different gearing with closer ratios and no overdrive gear. Great car though. Love the sound, sounds even better than by buddy’s GT3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The guy is asking for feedback on the car so no point questioning the deal unless you have useful knowledge of the Bahrain car market.

The 70hp is just a software difference and nothing mechanical - done only to provide some separation in spec between the V10 and the V10 plus. 540hp in an RWS should be plenty.

I've owned my V10 from new - its almost 3 years old now and no issues to report; the only time it went back to the dealer was for a recall modification to the breather hose.
Exactly what I was looking! Thank you sir for the feedback

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
R8 is as reliable as Porsche and Vette. The race cars go 12,000 miles between rebuilds and 6,000 miles between services and those are the same engine as the street car. That’s insane for a racing car. Mine is a daily driver and has had zero issues. I think people that have issues don’t drive them enough. Cars dont like to sit for long periods and then occasionally taken out and flogged. I’ve had numerous Porsche’s too and the build quality of the R8 is on par for sure, but Miles ahead of Corvette’s . The R8 is a more rare car too and you’ll get people following you, taking pictures of it, posing with it, lots of thumbs up....never had that in my Porsche’s. Resale of the RWS has already taken the big hit, should be stable now. The RWS didn’t hold it’s value like the Plus cars. When I bought my used Plus, I could have bought a brand new RWS for the same money. I wanted AWD and the extra HP, but if I didnt live someplace that needed AWD I would have taken an RWS and tuned it up to Plus power levels. That’s the only difference in the engines as far as I know. The Plus has different gearing with closer ratios and no overdrive gear. Great car though. Love the sound, sounds even better than by buddy’s GT3.
The sound is one of the things that motivated me :) sounded better then my 911 for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... Will be active here after purchase is made

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes reliable but quality wise is not perfect again when your caliper pain starts to rust, tail pipe paint peels off in a 200,000 USD is not acceptable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts