Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of having a list of the major exhausts. and if we could also include info on them including:
price
hp gain
1-10 loudness factor
f1 sound or am muscle sound

I gathered the folowing brands:

Name----------------------Hp gain---------price----------1-10 L.F.--------SOUND

APR------------------------------------------7,300---------------------------------
capristo-------------------------------------6,900-------------------------------f1
hamann-------------------------------------6,000---------------------------------
hms--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kreissieg------------------------------------7,800-------------------------------f1
meisterschaft gt----------------------------4,000---------------------------------
miltek-------------------------------------~4,200-----------------------------AM
pico---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ppi------------------------------------------9,000?--------------------------------
quicksilver--------------------------------~2000?----------------------------------
rsc tuning---------------------------------~2000?----------------------------------
supersprint ------------------------------------------------------------------------
stasis---------------------------------------4.900-------------------------------f1

feel free to add in any that you know, and also to say which is you favorite

please help this list get better thank you

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Good Thread !! Miltek solid 20 H.P. or more

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Good thread, but I do suggest that ALL posted HP claims on the charts, be supported with real dyno testing, along with the posting of the actual dyno test sheets. Preferably any before and after testing, should be made on the same equip under as similar conditions as possible.

There is just too much personal bias involved with "seat of the pants" dyno testing, and the purpose of the thread is to gain as much objective information and comparison, as is possible. These type of posting protocols are essential to give this thread the desired credibility that we all look for.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Everyone knows that the Miltek adds more than 20 H.P. Do you doubt this Bodhii?? I did give a Seat Of The Pants generalization,sorry.I will stick to the facts and only the facts.I do not want to mislead. Which exhaust will please Bodhii??:)

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Hey Harrison, I think it's great to hear everyone's impressions on their own exhausts or any new mod. Such remarks are all fun and provocative. Its just that an owner's or vendor's subjective HP numbers should probably NOT go up on the actual list. Let's put only objective dyno proven HP numbers as they become available up on the chart itself. And let's be sure to show if the HP figures are measured at the clutch or at the wheels.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I guess most of us will be testing at rear wheels.:)

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have the PPI, and it's the American Muscle sound for sure. Big bassy V8 roar that is brutally loud when the valve opens. With the valve closed, it's very similar to the stock sound. I have not dyno'd it.

mt

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought the Capristo was more of an American V8 sound? Good thread idea though. It would be nice to have a relatively concrete list of exhausts and their attributes.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
We should probably add a column to the chart for whether or not the exhaust has the vacuum actuated valves - i.e. If it has 2 different loudness levels.

mt

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Come on guys,I hope you are not listening to sound clips through a weak-sauce laptop. (I have only seen one laptop with descent sound). My vid is made for a home theater system ,and I have smarted up and relistened the sound clips through a descent sound system. Capistro-Screams at REVS ,Miltek with valves disconnected just like American muscle at Idle and down low.Screams but not as high pitch as Capistro :)(too loud for me). Stasis seems in between the two,correct? The neighbors seem to have tolerated me . (so far ).:) Is the PPI anything like the Miltek?? Valved system would only sound louder at low revs...Sound clips at idle with valve/no valve would be helpfull, W.O.T. under load clips are hard to get without being strapped down to Dyno.Load souns are deeper than free revs.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Bodhii ,how many % difference between testing at clutch or rear wheels.At clutch testing done with computer or engine out of car?? Rear wheel figures must be Low due to all wheel drive thus four wheel dyno ??:) Getting in over my head again!!:)

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Stasis dyno showing 363hp at wheel is pretty impressive. Still hoping to get my car on dyno before I get my stasis installed this Monday. And if there are any R8 owners in the MA area I would be glad to let them here mine to help them decide on which to go with

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
It is normal to expect 15% to 20% loss from the crank to the wheels on any dyno test. It is also usual to see some significant single number differences between different dyno machines. And remember that the air temperatures during the actual dyno testing can make big differences. Almost all auto industry sources will use the higher crank numbers simply cuz they look significantly better.

Harrison, I would think that you could contact Milltek and get a copy of one of their R8 dynos. Its become pretty standard for all exhaust makers to show a printed dyno test result in order to support their increased HP claims.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Mngolfer1 and his buddies have a lot of Dyno time.Have any figures to relate? Buddy.:)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I purchased a Milltek non-valved system for my R8 well before I had the car. In fact, when the car arrived, it was an '09 R8. I had purchased the Milltek for a 2008 R8. After a frantic phone call to Stratmosphere, they assured me it would fit the '09 without any problems. I was able to purchase the non-valved system for $2500 in Feb of '07. When the car did arrive, Oct of '08, the price of the non-valved system had doubled to $5000. I do not have any Dyno info and I can't compare the before and after, since the Dealer installed it for me when I bought the car. I can tell you that it's for sure an American Muscle sound with deep throaty lows working up to a howl, but not a high pitched F1.
I was impressed with Milltek from an Audi V8 S4 with the resonated cat-backs. So much so, that it led me to get down pipes, sport cats, and non-resonated valved for my RS4. It to sounds like AM. Without the resonaters, even louder than the R8 but tame under normal driving.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts