Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
big 2nd, you didn't skimp on the R8, don't skimp on the exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to agree with others, sometimes the cheapest option isn't the least expensive.

Don't get an exhaust just to get an exhaust. Shop around and find the one you like best. You spent $150K+on the car don't ruin it with a bad exhaust.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you shop around you can get the Remus for just about that.
Can you steer me in the right direction for the remus at that price? Thx!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have to think that many people who ask about low-cost exhausts are probably more on the side of wanting value-for-money versus just getting a “cheap” exhaust.

There’s an unfortunate truth to the “car tax” one pays on cars in excess of the “typical” cost of a car most buyers go to.

The first thing that comes to my mind are the $300 designer jeans my wife will buy, versus my stodgy ways of not being willing to pay more than $50-$70 for a pair of jeans.

Likewise, given the same materials, same quality fabrication, same quality welds...why should we just accept paying for the higher cost just because the system is going on an R8?

Now, the variables we do NOT see - which ultimately contribute to the purchase prices - are the research, development, testing, and analyses that goes into the systems.

Even if the same type of materials, same amount of materials, same fabrication guy, and same welder are constants...

All of these remain variables that can drive up costs, which of course drives up purchase pricing:
- engine dynamics
- fuel requirements
- EPA targets (laughable for an exotic/supercar I know)
- the availability of dimensions
- the availability of vehicles for actual fitment and testing
- the interfaces and equipment necessary for the engine/emissions electronics
- and many other things I’m probably missing or forgetting

After all of this being said, I figure there’s an element of R&D,and an element of exotic/supercar inflation for every R8 aftermarket part or component.

Which comes back to where I started, with the true value-for-money proposition.

Every one should make a living, especially given their own blood, sweat, and tears going into their products creation.

But there is a distinct difference between a reasonable amount of R8 tax, versus sheer profiteering....which I think is really the challenge when I see a posts such as this about wanting to find a solid Gen2 exhaust system for under $2500.

Given Remus’ reputation in the BMW market, I’d personally feel comfortable with the cost/quality ratio of one of their R8 systems - so long as that is the sound you want.

Otherwise, if for example you want a Capristo sound, you’re not likely to find that exact likeness south of $2500 new. Likewise, Larini’s, Akropovic’s, and other well-known brands all have their own sound and price points...which sometimes what you have to pay for.

·
Registered
721 Posts
call me crazy but i have heard many exhausts on this and other cars. maybe some people are born with world class hearing equivalent to those hypergustatory folks that are professional wine tasters or food taste critics, or similar to those extremely hearing endowed people that can actually tune pianos and string instruments down to the minutest variance. i can detect subtle differences, but- and although it is very subjective- i cannot for the life of me tell a significant difference between a 2k and a 7 k exhaust especially at idle- and unless you're buying it to provide hearing pleasure for pedestrians that hear you drive by the sound differences at WOT for most of the ones i've heard may be noticeable but overall not that different especially within the car. and i've never heard of an exhaust falling off, corroding, or failing structurally- even in pro late model or those homemade outlaw contraptions they race in your local dirt raceway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just my layman observations:

- A titanium-based Akrapovic system sounds different than the stainless steel-based systems like a Capristo or a Larini
- On my Gen1 R8, the Larini system had a throatier sound below 5000RPM than the Top Gear system I had; however, over 5000RPM the Larini both louder and higher pitched than the Top Gear

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think we are taking about Gen2 system here.
Gen1 or Gen2, my point is that there is a distinct and noticeable sound difference based upon the material used as well as the articulation and bending of the pipe, along with pipe diameter, valves, etc.

Reactions: ervikingo
1 - 20 of 65 Posts