Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You won’t find something with valves for under four grand probably.
As I posted above the Larini Club Sport. I bought it used but new it's significantly under $4,000 and is valved and works with the factory equipment.

I get people saying "don't skimp on cost, it's a supercar" but to counter that, the amount of piping needed from the headers to the exhaust is hilariously low, so charging above $3k for 3 feet of piping just because it's a "super car" is stupid. Yeah yeah, supercar tax, but there's a reason Soul exhausts are so popular -- they're $2k and sound great, instead of being slightly louder and costing $5k.
100% agreed. It's why I won't go forced induction same crap. Lambo/R8 tax. I've had my fair share of LS cars (mostly Corvette) and I can tell you a supercharger is about $6,000 and a twin turbo is about $10,000-$12,000. Want to tell me why a bolt-on SC from VF is over $30,000 and a twin turbo setup is over $35,000. I know where that extra $20,000 is going and it's certainly not in the tune or labor. It's just padding a pocket. It's literally just bolted on. There's no engine work or transmission work being down for that money.

Bottom line: There's a premium to pay sometimes for a quality product but that's a big difference than just paying more because the "we can" mentality. I'm not getting ripped off sorry.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Larini valved is right around 4K usd. If you want the desirable incontel, it's more like 7K. It's silly money for some tubing and an actuator IMO. My Avior Titanium sounds better than any valved system I've heard, and I've been privy to hearing many brands in person over the past few years. It also cost me under 1600 and weighs 5 lbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ordered this exhaust from JTLD: Exhaust System For AUDI R8 V10
Honestly, looks like a great build. Talked to another member who bought one from them before. Fits fine, sounds great, awesome price.
Only issue is, it takes 15-20 days because of the Covid-19... so the waiting game beings. I'll do a review and post some pics of install and sounds clips once I get it.
This is how much the exhaust should cost, in my opinion. The whole "Supercar tax"... Bs!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ordered this exhaust from JTLD: Exhaust System For AUDI R8 V10
Honestly, looks like a great build. Talked to another member who bought one from them before. Fits fine, sounds great, awesome price.
Only issue is, it takes 15-20 days because of the Covid-19... so the waiting game beings. I'll do a review and post some pics of install and sounds clips once I get it.
This is how much the exhaust should cost, in my opinion. The whole "Supercar tax"... Bs!
How much is it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
$1000 plus shipping is what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. 1K is to build the exhaust, then you pay the shipping once it's ready to be shipped. Right now it's a bit expensive, but in a few weeks, it should go down... either way, at 1500 shipped, for a valved exhaust, still better than the "open piped one". My personal opinion... which means nothing :)

·
Vendor
4,583 Posts
What sort of warranty is offered on the electronic valves. They are welded in place so when they fail do you have to cut to exhaust to install new ones?
I would not trust the electronic valves due to the heat they will fail pre-maturely.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm currently looking at the soul exhaust. How loud is it? I don't mind loud. I feel the car is way to muted for a V10 supercar. I always drive with the valves open anyway so I don't really mind having no valves.
it is loud. cold start up in a garage will rattle the windows. we had just come back from an airshow when i lit it up for the first time like this on the following sat morning- everyone in the house thought an F-22 had done a fly by. it will drone at highway speeds, but not bad. having said this i would never go back to the stock. just too boring. this car is so smooth and civilized that it NEEDS this exhaust imo. i'll put the sound up to any akrapovic or tubi... it is very subjective, though, of course.

the car is faster. never dynoed it. but the Soul weighs like 20 lbs. that's it.

Soul is wayyyy too expensive for just 2 darn pipes and a flange. Come on... r8 tax my ass.
- too expensive at like 2K? sorry. you're nuts. i think it is very reasonable.

·
Registered
721 Posts
As I posted above the Larini Club Sport. I bought it used but new it's significantly under $4,000 and is valved and works with the factory equipment.

100% agreed. It's why I won't go forced induction same crap. Lambo/R8 tax. I've had my fair share of LS cars (mostly Corvette) and I can tell you a supercharger is about $6,000 and a twin turbo is about $10,000-$12,000. Want to tell me why a bolt-on SC from VF is over $30,000 and a twin turbo setup is over $35,000. I know where that extra $20,000 is going and it's certainly not in the tune or labor. It's just padding a pocket. It's literally just bolted on. There's no engine work or transmission work being down for that money.

Bottom line: There's a premium to pay sometimes for a quality product but that's a big difference than just paying more because the "we can" mentality. I'm not getting ripped off sorry.
well.. in all fairness the R and D needs to be factored in there somewhere. however, i would agree that the 20K profit is very high, but theirs for the taking since some people have the cash and want to throw it out like that. that's the beauty of capitalism. and the absurdity of it, as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could always use the valves off the standard exhaust?

What sort of warranty is offered on the electronic valves. They are welded in place so when they fail do you have to cut to exhaust to install new ones?
I would not trust the electronic valves due to the heat they will fail pre-maturely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The other member I talked to, that has this exhaust, has it on his R8 for 18 months now... no issues. I'm not worried about it... doubt i'll have the car long enough for the valves to break.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
well.. in all fairness the R and D needs to be factored in there somewhere. however, i would agree that the 20K profit is very high, but theirs for the taking since some people have the cash and want to throw it out like that. that's the beauty of capitalism. and the absurdity of it, as well.
...and the same R&D is done on other platforms too and that's factored into the cost. I agree if suckers are willing to pay for it and "have to have it" hell I'd charge the same thing for a product. It's unfortunate though because by working up throughout the years from cheaper cars to exponentially more expensive cars I have a decent understanding of what things "should cost." If I blew up an LS motor back in the day I can be up and running for a fraction of the cost of blowing a motor in an R8, GT-R, or some other higher end vehicle. It's ridiculous and not something personally I'm comfortable with and why I've been rather reluctant to modify this car (or other certain types of cars I own or owned in the past).

·
Registered
721 Posts
...and the same R&D is done on other platforms too and that's factored into the cost. I agree if suckers are willing to pay for it and "have to have it" hell I'd charge the same thing for a product. It's unfortunate though because by working up throughout the years from cheaper cars to exponentially more expensive cars I have a decent understanding of what things "should cost." If I blew up an LS motor back in the day I can be up and running for a fraction of the cost of blowing a motor in an R8, GT-R, or some other higher end vehicle. It's ridiculous and not something personally I'm comfortable with and why I've been rather reluctant to modify this car (or other certain types of cars I own or owned in the past).
agreed. you get to a point of diminishing returns with that mark up delta and as you get close to the apex of disposable income the curve gets nearly vertical. some of us lucky enough to be able to get a car like an R8 are in rarefied territory already, but it gets even more expensive for other cars. there's a 2k mile 812 superfast on cargurus with a sticker of nearly 430 k plus 75 k in aftermarket options that is on sale for 320k! kudos to the guy that has that kind of money to blow- and yes- this is why you have to factor in the real cost of modding your car if something breaks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get soul performance! If you want straight pipe. My friend has on his huracan. It crackles like crazy and it's only. 1795 usd. I think it won best exhaust sound years ago.

·
Registered
721 Posts
my buddy just got a soul for his huracan roadster. was sick of letting me have all the fun when cruising by him.

·
Registered
17 V10 Plus
31 Posts
I paid $900 for a used SOUL race exhaust. I cleaned to brand new looking in 20min. Loud AF and my 17 V10 plus sounds like it should. No regrets. Love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid $900 for a used SOUL race exhaust. I cleaned to brand new looking in 20min. Loud AF and my 17 V10 plus sounds like it should. No regrets. Love it.
do the valves close in comfort mode and suitable quiet drive? Thanks!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts