Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this was already covered, but someone is intending to enhance the exahaust sound a bit, with a system from a tuner.. does it matter when you fit the system, or can it be after 5000km or 100,000km? does that somehow make much diff?

i'd rather wait with putting anything on my R8 aslong as no reliable reviews are around... AND if I really dont like the sound inside the cabin, which i doubt.. i think i will love it.. specially for long trips...

·
Registered
840 Posts
does it matter when you fit the system, or can it be after 5000km or 100,000km? does that somehow make much diff?
Not sure but ... it might affect some of the warranties ... best check with your dealer before fitting an after market system.

·
Registered
782 Posts
not sure if this was already covered, but someone is intending to enhance the exahaust sound a bit, with a system from a tuner.. does it matter when you fit the system, or can it be after 5000km or 100,000km? does that somehow make much diff?

i'd rather wait with putting anything on my R8 aslong as no reliable reviews are around... AND if I really dont like the sound inside the cabin, which i doubt.. i think i will love it.. specially for long trips...
I'll wait for the Milltek, I'll fit the system after 3000km

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not so sure about Milltek. The cats on my S4 appear to have disintegrated slightly, and I don't get much response from Phil @ Milltek for them to take a look with a view to replacing (they're out of warranty, but have covered very few miles...)

Unless they rectify the situation OR prove there isn't a problem, I won't be buying Milltek parts again, and will be happy to voice my opinions on the matter...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm not so sure about Milltek. The cats on my S4 appear to have disintegrated slightly, and I don't get much response from Phil @ Milltek for them to take a look with a view to replacing (they're out of warranty, but have covered very few miles...)

Unless they rectify the situation OR prove there isn't a problem, I won't be buying Milltek parts again, and will be happy to voice my opinions on the matter...
I have the cats aswell, what do you mean with disintegrated? What are you experiencing with the cats then?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so we have to points to concider yet?
1) warranty, which would mean, at least to wait 3 years (or 100k km) before fitting new exhaust system?
2) new systems better be installed on a run in, but not old engine.. meaning before engine maybe reaches 10,000km?

ALL! pls help, ... your opinons are highly appreciated ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust:
-NO factory warranty.
-poor resale value. Personally I would not buy used R8 with Miltek exhaust.
-better sound? From the inside? From the outside(and inside IMO) R8 sound very nice in its stock form. But, some people want to play...

My point is why to use any aftermarket on R8? I spoke to my Audi friend about it and he said to me that Audi Technical department already have headache about this aftermarket upgrades.

Do you want to loose warranty? OK, take the things in to your own hands and do it!

My R8 will remain stock.

You really want to play? Buy yourself a nice used Toyota Supra(latest version 330hp) and build yourself a true 600hp monster for about 50000Euro.
It will kill almost any car on the road in straight line till around 280km/h.
One of my friends did it and now he owns a "poor man" monster. And his car is faster then new 997 GT3 in straight line... See my point?

Of course, many of you will not agree with me...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust:
-NO factory warranty.
-poor resale value. Personally I would not buy used R8 with Miltek exhaust.
-better sound? From the inside? From the outside(and inside IMO) R8 sound very nice in its stock form. But, some people want to play...

My point is why to use any aftermarket on R8? I spoke to my Audi friend about it and he said to me that Audi Technical department already have headache about this aftermarket upgrades.

Do you want to loose warranty? OK, take the things in to your own hands and do it!

My R8 will remain stock.

You really want to play? Buy yourself a nice used Toyota Supra(latest version 330hp) and build yourself a true 600hp monster for about 50000Euro.
It will kill almost any car on the road in straight line till around 280km/h.
One of my friends did it and now he owns a "poor man" monster. And his car is faster then new 997 GT3 in straight line... See my point?

Of course, many of you will not agree with me...

- Here in the Netherlands they will have to prove that a defect is caused by the aftermarket exhaust and the warranty here is 2 years :)
- Resale: put back on your stock exhaust
- Sound: subjective, but my S4 didn't sound at all with the stock exhaust. With the Milltek it sounds excellent. I drove an RS4 too, and the Milltek sounds even better than the RS4 stock exhaust.

I see Milltek in the range as Tubi (Exhaust for Lambo etc.).

For my S4 the performance gain and the sound is excellent, so why not?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the cats aswell, what do you mean with disintegrated? What are you experiencing with the cats then?
My engine management light is on, and I believe the honeycomb is coming away from the body of the cat. I can hear a rattle when I punch the throttle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My engine management light is on, and I believe the honeycomb is coming away from the body of the cat. I can hear a rattle when I punch the throttle.
Ah, my engine light was also on the last two weeks, after flooring on the German Autobahn at 278 km/h (sattelite speed).

Now its off again :)

I hear a rattle sometimes when I start my car, but I'm not sure where it's coming from :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
jampoTT. Sorry to hear about your issues. Please dial Phil at Milltek Sport on their direct line 0044 1332 227 280. I just spoke to Phil and he wants to help you out and has tried to make contact via e-mail.

By the way, Milltek has a car on order in the UK and should be one of the first which means an exhuast a quick as possible. -Pete

·
Registered
367 Posts
The aftermarket exhaust debates for highend cars are entertaining to "watch". On the Porsche 996TT sites, people are constantly debating which one sounds best, and the incidence of check engine lights and annoying drone tend to make the people who actually use their cars ditch these systems after a period of inconvenience. On top of all that, the catalytic converters are part of the stock muffler (welded together!) on the 996TT, so ANY aftermarket system requires replacement cats which results in installed prices over $5k, CRAZY! Then people reason that if their buying new cats anyway, they might as well go for the low cell-count/backpressure version and wonder why the check engine light trips and they don't pass emissions inspection after some mileage is put on them. And finally, the bad rep actually makes them a liability on the resale market!
WHAT A GREAT MOD!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont want to have the fastest car in straight line, but if the car really is so quite inside, then we might concider some upgrades from ze german tuners... but lets see how the stock will be

·
Registered
647 Posts
The aftermarket exhaust debates for highend cars are entertaining to "watch". On the Porsche 996TT sites, people are constantly debating which one sounds best, and the incidence of check engine lights and annoying drone tend to make the people who actually use their cars ditch these systems after a period of inconvenience. On top of all that, the catalytic converters are part of the stock muffler (welded together!) on the 996TT, so ANY aftermarket system requires replacement cats which results in installed prices over $5k, CRAZY! Then people reason that if their buying new cats anyway, they might as well go for the low cell-count/backpressure version and wonder why the check engine light trips and they don't pass emissions inspection after some mileage is put on them. And finally, the bad rep actually makes them a liability on the resale market!
WHAT A GREAT MOD!
I agree with you 100%!

·
Registered
840 Posts
i dont want to have the fastest car in straight line, but if the car really is so quite inside, then we might concider some upgrades from ze german tuners...
imho ... I think a lot of the early reviews are expecting a lot of engine/exhaust noise inside the car ... not to mention a larger than life sound from the exhaust ... this is a car designed and built by Audi to wear teh four rings with pride and raise the profile of the company ... it can hardly be expected to have the same aural presence than ... a Lambo or Ferrari ... it is meant to be an everyday high performance sports car ... and one that can easily cross a small country, or sizeable chunk of a continent in a single drive ... having too much engine and exhaust noise audible inside the cablin with the windows up is not part of the package that Audi wanted to put together ... I think you will be quite pleased with the noises the car makes ... imho
but lets see how the stock will be
Absolutely ... I couldn’t have put it better myself!

But, me being me ... it’s time for me to be verbose ...

Personally, I see no point in an extensive debate on a topic that evolves a knowledge of the noises an R8 makes, which ... I suspect ... none of us have any first hand knowledge of just yet, which might be the case for a few months.

Sure, most of us have probably heard the sounds recorded by the video cameras ... both inside and outside of the car ... but until you are actually sat in one, or stood by the road as one goes by ... it is unfair to comment too heavily on whether it has enough aural presence or not ... and besides ... some of us will love the stock sounds ... some of us will want a deeper sound ... and some of us may actually want a quieter sound ... although I suspect the latter will number few if any.

I was in the RS4 just the other day when an ... "AM Vanquish S" ... caught me up and went by ... with my windows up and radio off there was little or no impressive noises to be heard at around 70mph ... I duly overtook him, pulled back in front of him and wound down the windows on the drivers side and let him pass me again ... while there were more noises audible this time I was not overly impressed with what I heard ... even with windows down when we had to slow down and virtually stop at a roundabout ... I was hardly impressed with the noises made by what looked to be a stock exhaust.

Now ... I'm sure many people will say the "Vanquish S" has a fabulous sounding exhaust ... but my point above only further strengthens my belief that you need to hear the car for yourself from the driver's seat ... or at worst passenger one ... then you can really know whether the sounds made from the engine and exhaust are for you ... or not ... then can you really start debating on whether you will want to go out and by an aftermarket system.

Personally I like the sound of my RS4 ... which lives virtually permanently in 'Sport' mode ... with the engine closer to me and nearer my ears ... I think I'll enjoy the R8's sound just fine ... the RS4 exhaust sounds lovely too ... and I fully expect teh R8's to be just as nice ... at this point in time I have no desire to even think of an aftermarket system for my R8 ... stock all the way for me at the moment.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like the idea of well insulated interior for long journeys, cheapest mod on the market to improve engine sound - wait for it - open the window :D :D :D :D :D :D

Save your £££££££'s and press the buttom, not very difficult really.

·
Registered
782 Posts
WHAT A GREAT MOD!

My Milltek Full system passes the emission inspection without any problem. My engine light went on 1 time and that was when flooring it on the autobahn. I went off after 300 km of driving :) My ECU remap could also caused the problem, it is custom made on a rolling road :/

I drove 50.000 km with the system (and ECU remap) without any problems, we went on vacation to Italy with my car without any problems (Drove total 5200km in two weeks).

On a independed Dyno it did show a nice performance gain and the system sounds great. I use a resonated Milltek and the system is reasonable quiet when driving normal and a very good rumble is to hear when driving it hard. IMHO it's the way a V8 should sound. It's not much louder than a stock RS4, but the sound is deeper.

My system was not 5k expensive (I think it was 2.300,-)

And here in the Netherlands it has no negative effect on the resale (value).

So don't jump to conclusions too quick.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like the idea of well insulated interior for long journeys, cheapest mod on the market to improve engine sound - wait for it - open the window :D :D :D :D :D :D

Save your £££££££'s and press the buttom, not very difficult really.
LOL but apart from the sound it can give you that extra power aswell.

·
Registered
381 Posts
jampoTT. Sorry to hear about your issues. Please dial Phil at Milltek Sport on their direct line 0044 1332 227 280. I just spoke to Phil and he wants to help you out and has tried to make contact via e-mail.

By the way, Milltek has a car on order in the UK and should be one of the first which means an exhuast a quick as possible. -Pete
Pete,

Without doubting your word, he hasn't made any effort to contact via email, except right at the start (in August) when I first contacted Milltek.

Since then, he's effectively ignored every email I've sent.

I'm perfectly happy to take it to one of their dealers (AMD, APS or someone else relatively local) and get it checked out, but because I the S4 is my only car, I can't afford for it to be sat on ramps for days on end while people ummm and ahhhh about it, and it'll cost me the best part of £200 in labour to get the original cats (which I retained) put back on again.

I quickly realised it wasn't doing much "harm", and I know it is possible for the engine management light to be supressed with VAG-COM, but as I fear there is an underlying cause, the problem won't go away by turning the light off... and I don't much fancy taking it in for its next service and have the dealer tut at me and make notes about my future warranty!

I've been on the verge of just swapping back to the standard cats (at my own expense) but with Phil ignoring my emails, I'd be left with 2 heavy, useless lumps in my garage and a hole in my pocket.

In one of my last emails, I told Phil I had an R8 on order, but if this problem doesn't get sorted out (or unless I'm reassured that there isn't a problem) I won't bother with a Milltek exhaust for it. The product is only as good as the manufacturer's backup.

The exhaust system itself is, indeed, excellent. I have the induction kit too and love the noises freed from the V8. I'm sure the issue with the cats is very minor indeed, which is why it should have been much easier to solve. :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's the R8 exhaust system, nothing I'd trust an aftermarket fabricator to take on! I do see one "mod" most of us will want to do. Disconnect the vacuum solenoids for the flap which closes (and quiets) the exhaust at low revs!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts