Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22 quattro and the sport exhaust simply doesn't hold up to the sound of the '15 with Capristo. Since the car does sound loud and gnarly for those first 10 seconds or so after starting (valves wide open, auto shut after ~10 seconds), I'm temped to just get a valve controller to see if that does it for me.

Unfortunately, the Valvetronic controllers many folks like don't work on the 22s.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something where I can control the valves open and shut.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the e exhaust note for the first 10 seconds following a cold start due to the cold start sequence or the valve position? I think both.
Agree, it's definitely both. It does sound a bit better cold but if I can control the valves, it might get me what I'm looking for in the meantime. Even warmed up, it sounds pretty good those first 10 seconds.

Reactions: Blade Gunner

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agree, it's definitely both. It does sound a bit better cold but if I can control the valves, it might get me what I'm looking for in the meantime. Even warmed up, it sounds pretty good those first 10 seconds.
The CETE AVC will do exactly this. Definitely check it out:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The CETE AVC will do exactly this. Definitely check it out:
Thanks! I didn't see it on the CETE site and was just reaching out. I'll check out Europrice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 22 quattro and the sport exhaust simply doesn't hold up to the sound of the '15 with Capristo. Since the car does sound loud and gnarly for those first 10 seconds or so after starting (valves wide open, auto shut after ~10 seconds), I'm temped to just get a valve controller to see if that does it for me.

Unfortunately, the Valvetronic controllers many folks like don't work on the 22s.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something where I can control the valves open and shut.
Doesn't the exhaust button on the steering wheel manually keep the valves open???

If not, I need to pick up a valve controller too.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,546 Posts
If you have sport exhaust, wouldn’t you have the button on the steering wheel which would allow you to keep it open at all the time?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have sport exhaust, wouldn’t you have the button on the steering wheel which would allow you to keep it open at all the time?
Doesn't the exhaust button on the steering wheel manually keep the valves open???

If not, I need to pick up a valve controller too.

The exhaust satellite button on the wheel switches between standard and sport. Sport just opens up a bit sooner but isn't open all the time.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The exhaust satellite button on the wheel switches between standard and sport. Sport just opens up a bit sooner but isn't open all the time.
Wow. Good to know. Glad I came across this thread. I ordered a valve controller yesterday, will be here before my exhaust goes on. I'd be so bummed if I couldn't manually keep the flaps open full time when I want. Dang...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That is 100% incorrect

The valves are open once you push the button and you’re in sport mode.
In fact, it’s actually the opposite because if the valve is in standard mode a.k.a. closed valves but you hit somewhere around 4 or 5000rpm it automatically opens the valves.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Wow. Good to know. Glad I came across this thread. I ordered a valve controller yesterday, will be here before my exhaust goes on. I'd be so bummed if I couldn't manually keep the flaps open full time when I want. Dang...
If you have the factory exhaust button, you have control to keep valves open, the only thing you can’t do is keep the valves closed during cold start

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you have the factory exhaust button, you have control to keep valves open, the only thing you can’t do is keep the valves closed during cold start
The '22 exhaust button only changes from 'standard' to 'sport' sound. I keep it in sport. The valves just open a bit sooner in sport mode but they're closed at low speed/rpm. Or those are the quietest open valves I've ever heard. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that the exhaust button on the wheel definitely isn't keeping the valves open. When I start the car, the exhaust is in sport mode and you still hear the car quiet down/valves close after the first 10 seconds or so..... even though the exhaust setting remains unchanged. Those first 10 seconds are great with the valves open.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well, due to the inconsistency of this thread - I bought a $200 valve controller with a remote. I had the same one on my 18. No way I want to pay to put on a new exhaust, only to find out I cannot manually keep the valves open 100% of the time (at a stop, driving low RPM, etc). $200 is good insurance :)

When I clicked the button, it would override the factory setting, and keep the valves full open or closed. I want the ability to override the computer. I typically drive 100% of the time with valves open, but control the volume with my right foot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The '22 exhaust button only changes from 'standard' to 'sport' sound. I keep it in sport. The valves just open a bit sooner in sport mode but they're closed at low speed/rpm. Or those are the quietest open valves I've ever heard. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that the exhaust button on the wheel definitely isn't keeping the valves open. When I start the car, the exhaust is in sport mode and you still hear the car quiet down/valves close after the first 10 seconds or so..... even though the exhaust setting remains unchanged. Those first 10 seconds are great with the valves open.
Its louder on cold start. Do the valves close when the cold start cycle completes when in "sport" mode?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, due to the inconsistency of this thread - I bought a $200 valve controller with a remote. I had the same one on my 18. No way I want to pay to put on a new exhaust, only to find out I cannot manually keep the valves open 100% of the time (at a stop, driving low RPM, etc). $200 is good insurance :)

When I clicked the button, it would override the factory setting, and keep the valves full open or closed. I want the ability to override the computer. I typically drive 100% of the time with valves open, but control the volume with my right foot.
Which valve controller did you go with?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its louder on cold start. Do the valves close when the cold start cycle completes when in "sport" mode?
Yes. Takes about 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Which valve controller did you go with?
I bought this one. It worked on my 18 w Kline exhaust. They say it will work on my 22 as well.

Reactions: HP18

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought this one. It worked on my 18 w Kline exhaust. They say it will work on my 22 as well.

I emailed Valvetronic (website only lists R8 08-15) and they told me it wouldn't work on a second gen. The Valvetronic controller is only thru 2015.

Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle Number

·
Registered
887 Posts
I emailed Valvetronic (website only lists R8 08-15) and they told me it wouldn't work on a second gen. The Valvetronic controller is only thru 2015.

View attachment 267852
Weird. That contradicts what they told me! I sent them another email. I wonder if they are just trying to get you to buy one of their exhausts?

I used this exact controller for my 18 RWS with Kline.

Is there a difference in the 2022 from the 2018 as it comes to a valve controller?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts