Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes I have the valvetronic on my 18 and 22. Works as designed. I had it installed when my exhaust was installed.

I'm swapping it for the CETE though. If I had the Kline on my 22 I would keep it. But with QS is so **** loud, I need to keep the valves closed more often. I kinda missing the Kline if I'm honest... nice harmonics and not crazy loud. But that's another topic...

(I'll be selling my valvetronic when I get it taken off if you're interested)
Ive heard that from multiple people about quicksilver. Why are u switching valve controllers? Just curious. Does CETE have more control functions?
Also email felix directly if youre gonna do kline again snd tell him u have a channel and do vids. Youll get a deal. On my gen 2 i didnt notice a huge difference between stock and kline other than tone and weight so imma try the valve controller first when i get the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
how hard is a valve controller to install? I have a 22 Quattro arriving end of February and want to do this right away
Pretty straightforward. Just have to remove the right engine covers so you can get access to the valve connector and the ECU.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pretty straightforward. Just have to remove the right engine covers so you can get access to the valve connector and the ECU.
Firstly, your car is ABSOLUTELY stunning. I really would have wanted a Red/Yellow R8 but given I bought this to hold me over till my TTS comes in I went with the only car I could find available (that didn't have a 20k plus markup). My coworkers and I were looking at your car yesterday or one similar that we saw photos of online in Miami Blue, it's gorgeous. My buddy has a 992 GT3 on order in PTS Miami Blue. My car is Suzuka Gray but I think it'll be a pretty nice option, I've never seen it in person but I'd imagine it's similar to Porsche Chalk which is what my TTS order is in.

Now onto my question, what valve controller should I order? Since you have a '22RWD I assume the controller you purchased and use will work in my '22Quattro?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Firstly, your car is ABSOLUTELY stunning. I really would have wanted a Red/Yellow R8 but given I bought this to hold me over till my TTS comes in I went with the only car I could find available (that didn't have a 20k plus markup). My coworkers and I were looking at your car yesterday or one similar that we saw photos of online in Miami Blue, it's gorgeous. My buddy has a 992 GT3 on order in PTS Miami Blue. My car is Suzuka Gray but I think it'll be a pretty nice option, I've never seen it in person but I'd imagine it's similar to Porsche Chalk which is what my TTS order is in.

Now onto my question, what valve controller should I order? Since you have a '22RWD I assume the controller you purchased and use will work in my '22Quattro?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you! Suzuka Gray is nice, it's a bit whiter than Chalk but I think you'll enjoy it!

This is the controller you need Controller Package | CETE Audi R8 4S Exhaust Valve

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank you! Suzuka Gray is nice, it's a bit whiter than Chalk but I think you'll enjoy it!

This is the controller you need Controller Package | CETE Audi R8 4S Exhaust Valve

I'll order this now, and just to clarify, I am leaning towards the Caprista Exhaust

One has a valve controller, one does not. Which one would I order? I assume since I am getting this controller you posted that I can get the $7,100 OEM option?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll order this now, and just to clarify, I am leaning towards the Caprista Exhaust

One has a valve controller, one does not. Which one would I order? I assume since I am getting this controller you posted that I can get the $7,100 OEM option?
Yes, the OEM option would be the one.

·
Registered
Non-Quattro 10-cyl Two-Door Audi
58 Posts
Hey @HP18 can you elaborate a bit more? All the guides I can find on this forum and elsewhere seem to state "remove 6 plastic screws" but on the '22 I see only one plastic quarter-turn screw and 3 what appear to be T30(?) bolts?
Is that all what needs to come out? Is undoing the glass strut necessary?

I've highlighted the areas in question:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey @HP18 can you elaborate a bit more? All the guides I can find on this forum and elsewhere seem to state "remove 6 plastic screws" but on the '22 I see only one plastic quarter-turn screw and 3 what appear to be T30(?) bolts?
Is that all what needs to come out? Is undoing the glass strut necessary?
There are 3 more screws you need to remove as circled below. This will allow you to remove the right trim. Removing the strut is helpful as it allows you to remove the engine cover completely. This gives you more working room to access the valve connectors.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Trunk Automotive tail & brake light

Here's a video that should help

Reactions: mozy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay this is crazy. So you had the valvetronic and it did not keep closed or open? So you switched to Crete? I have a 2017 v10+ and I put QS on it. But it’s stupid loud on start up so I want to close the valve if possible. Also the valve is closed when I start to drive even if in sport with the exhaust button maybe the QS is so dumb loud I assumed it was open. I have bought a controller that has a button and also comes with a new boost valve but needs power. This will allow me to open and close with key fob 100% bypass whole plug from car but if there is an easier pigtail option I’m all ears. I thought this was valvetronic but then after reading OPs comments I’m thinking the valvetronic doesn’t over ride the setting and the valves close? Maybe I’m missing some of the details. Just trying to wrap up what I’m reading. Thanks
M

·
Registered
58 Posts
If anyone's still reading this... where exactly is the plug for the exhaust valve?? Trying to install a Valvetronic controller, got all the panels off but there's no "metal bracket and plug attached" to it as I have seen in all the videos. Any tips? @HP18 halp

Is it any one of the ones visible here?
Motor vehicle Hood Blue Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm without a jack at the moment...

The pics in that guide do help. There's mention of a plug with a "red/green stripe wire". I believe I've located such a wire very close to the valve solenoid. Do you think this is the one?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Black Finger Material property Gas Wrist

Hand Automotive tire Black Tire Finger

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's on the right side.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Footwear Shoe Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

If anyone's still reading this... where exactly is the plug for the exhaust valve?? Trying to install a Valvetronic controller, got all the panels off but there's no "metal bracket and plug attached" to it as I have seen in all the videos. Any tips? @HP18 halp

Is it any one of the ones visible here?
View attachment 274098

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification. I initially unplugged the one on the left with the yellow sticker but now I'm super glad you chimed in.
My connector looks slightly different than yours (yours appears to have some rubber jacket) but it matches the location being closest to the wheel liner.

I pulled that sucker off (with a few layers of skin from my thumb to go with it) and confirmed it has a red/green cable next to a solid white.

Thanks a lot for your continued help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
View attachment 274104
View attachment 274105
It is so much easier from the fender well. I tried from the top and hell no it’s so far
Down and there are two solenoids. The second one or in the pic the right one is where I took power from for new controller and my controller came with its own solenoid.
Cool cool, thanks for your help as well, I got a lot of good info all around!

I totally believe it would be easier from the wheel well. Going from the top was laborious and painful (ouch my back) but I went through with it anyway and the job is now done. The car now sounds like it should at low RPMs. I'm shocked Audi thought it was a good idea to neuter the '22's like this!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts