·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow R8 owners

this is my first post and i'm from Kuwait

i want your opinion regarding the best available exhaust for the R8

i want the meanest loudest exhaust.

the 2 that i've liked are the edo which costs 6200$ and the sportwagen-herrmann ( i think thats the name) i dont know how much it costs.

if you have any opinions or suggestions i really appreciate it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi how are u Im from kuwait too :p, if u want the loudest exhaust then the hermann is the way to go, bes deer balik waaaaaayed 3aly :p, u can also look at miltek which is alot cheaper and sounds real good. hope this helps....by the way what color is ur car, were a very limited bunch u know :p

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
The Capristo exhaust system is as well made as any exhaust system in the world. I know them thru years with Porsches. The system has a programmable remote control that allows you to set the exhaust valves to the full deep loud, deep, expansive exhaust sound, or to a quieter level, more like the stock R8 exhaust, without any resonance or drone sound. This valve system can be both programmed or used manually at any time thru the remote control. The system is completely reliable and has been tested and used regularly for years with both Ferrari and Porsche. The system in the USA sells for about $5000 USD. Prices do differ a little with the different Capristo dealers.

Another idea, is that Borla Performance is now developing an Audi R8 system now. They are famous for their full throated, louder exhaust systems... with significant power gains. I personally love the Borla, and its super hi quality construction. That's what I'm waiting for. Bon Chance.

http://www.capristoexhausts.co.uk/

http://www.borla.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i'm in the process of purchasing, unfortunately there are only 2 available for sale in kuwait, one is silver with carbon fiber side blades with the tuscan brown interior with all options, while the other is smoke silver with silver side blades with an off-white interior also fully opt, but the smoke silver is 20,000$ more expensive. so i'll see what my options are.

thank u for ur replies, but does any one know how much is sportwagen-herrmann exhaust?

best regards

·
Registered
172 Posts
if im not mistaken the dealer has one in smoke silver carbon blades, tuscan brown interior and 6spd manual ( only one in kuwait ) u should check it out :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ now if the mentioned R8 was an R-Tronic then it would be a different story.

the problem is the price difference is a huge problem, and i've yet to find the specs i'm looking for which is a shame i want one real bad. and i dont want to wait 6 months to get one

·
Registered
172 Posts
if Im not mistaken I know that auto city had a smoke silver one too.....if u dont me asking what are the specs ur looking for just in case I come across one I'll let u know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any color but red, fully opt, R-tronic, with tuscan brown interior.
and preferably with carbon fiber side blades.

i'm thinking about the one in auto-city but the asking price is way over,
47000 kd which is about 177,000$.

and also with that price i could get a porsche turbo.

so its a very hard decision, the r8 provides the looks while the turbo provides the performance.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Another idea, is that Borla Performance is now developing an Audi R8 system now. They are famous for their full throated, louder exhaust systems... with significant power gains. I personally love the Borla, and its super hi quality construction. That's what I'm waiting for. Bon Chance.
The wife and I were tracking the Audis at Laguna Seca last weekend, and we met Alvin from Borla. Borla is indeed working on an R8 exhaust and I knew you would want to know about it. Here is the email he sent me. Please feel free to contact Alvin directly if you need more specifics.

Here are some teaser pics of our Borla R8 (prototype) exhaust… Share them with your fellow R8 friends online – let me know what they think.
The grey R8 has an OE system and the black R8 has our prototype. We’ll have a video comparison very soon on YouTube.

Keep in touch – perhaps we’ll see you again at the track!

Alvin Tolosa
[email protected]
Borla Performance Industries
701 Arcturus Avenue
Oxnard, California 93033 USA
Direct line 805-246-6038 fax 805-986-8940
www.borla.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed the Capristro exhaust on my R8 and it is VERY LOUD! If you want a deep throaty loud exhuast then this will surely do it for you. My Gallardo had a Larini Exhaust which I loved and was loud....but this is way louder....almost like straight pipes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm more interested in the weight saving too - does anyone know what the relative weights are for the aftermarket silencers compared to the OEM piece?

·
Registered
163 Posts
any color but red, fully opt, R-tronic, with tuscan brown interior.
and preferably with carbon fiber side blades.

i'm thinking about the one in auto-city but the asking price is way over,
47000 kd which is about 177,000$.

and also with that price i could get a porsche turbo.

so its a very hard decision, the r8 provides the looks while the turbo provides the performance.
I had a 997tt,and numerous 911's .The r8 is a better car than any 911,only the gt3 gets close for driver enjoyment and it is ot really an everyday car.Yes the turbo is faster in a straight line,but the r8 is better in every other respect.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
A rule of thumb?? The lighter exhaust systems are in weight, the louder they sound...Unless we're talking aluminium systems like I wish my R8 had !!:) And at least a 20 pound savings on most aftermarket units.The specs are here in forum.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
One thing to consider with aftermarket exhausts is whether or not it has the vacuum actuated valves like the stock exhaust does. The Capristo and the PPI (that I have) do have the valves, and when the valves open they bypass the muffler so you get brutally loud open header sound. Most or all of the exhausts that don't have valves muffle the sound so they are not as loud.

The open header sound is a big "american muscle" V8 roar. If you are looking for a more european high pitched "F1" sound, you don't want the exhaust valve bypassing the muffler (like the Stasis or Miltek which don't have valves).

The valves also give you a quiet discreet mode (with valves closed) and a huge loud mode when you want to be sporty.

mt

·
Registered
774 Posts
the exhaust is a good example of a question I've had long before I even placed my order - why is the R8 so heavy, Audi could have easily engineered this car to be 100 lbs lighter without pushing the boundaries too hard!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
My Miltek has no valves. I was thinking -same muffler just valve or no valve .Some call the unit Cat back too . More options than I thought.There are some real nice systems out there. Is your PPI similar to the valved Miltek.Those companies are neighbors.(same Country!)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
the exhaust is a good example of a question I've had long before I even placed my order - why is the R8 so heavy, Audi could have easily engineered this car to be 100 lbs lighter without pushing the boundaries too hard!
Does anyone know, are quoted weights "dry" or with fluids? Since the R8 carries an uncommon load of liquids. With Oil and Water @ 8 lbs./gallon and gasoline at 6 (there's some variance from that of course, but those are the figures used to "weight and balance" an airplane), an R8 "all up" has got about 225 lbs. of fluids on board (very like a hefty passenger!).

Now that statement is based on the capacities quoted on the AudiUS web site, where they state the coolant volume @ 24 quarts!!! Six gallons is a LOT of coolant, and that could be a mistake.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Willy,you just made me think a scary thought...An R8 that was a thousand pounds lighter would be WICKED quick.If I removed all the BIG BUCK creature comforts I COULD acheive it.'Aint 'gonna happen !! :eek: :eek: :eek::D:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts