Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in vegas for a week and had a chance to drive an F430 for a few days this is how it compares to the R8 in my view

F430 +

Engine and sound. Engine is smoother and more powerfull then my v8 probably the v10 a better match but the sound it make is just intoxicating, i really feel the the v8 engine note is a big let done the SL63AMG i drove last month also sounded much better.

Cabin: Materials were better quality in F430 but to be expected as car cost twice as much.

Driveability I found it very easy to drive the F430 probably easier around town then my manual V8 the semi auto of the F430 is great but you do get a delay and a kickback when changing gear in high revs.

R8+

Steering feel and roadholding, I found the steering feel much better in R8 feedback from road so natural and the car just sticks to the road almost no matter what. F430 steering has much less feel and it loses grip much faster (which in some respect is more fun as u lose the back at much lower speeds). I can say that i would probably take a corner in the F430 at about 10% lower speed then my R8.

I did work the F430 hard (got pulled over and almost taken downtown by LV police but Israeli driver license rescued me...) and the thing i enjoyed most is the engine sound.

For me R8 wins but would love to find an exhaust that make the R8 sound more like the F430

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
For me R8 wins but would love to find an exhaust that make the R8 sound more like the F430
Was at a little GTG at Local Ferrari dealer on Saturday and did a ride against the F430 parked next to me. I thought my Stasis held up well on the exhaust end, Most of the Ferrari owners agreed. More people that came were stopping at my car to take pictures than the others. Most told me they have yet to see an R8

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The stock F430 exhaust is WEAK-SAUCE at lower revs.Sounds funny in fact.The F430 guy I sped around with the other day was in love with the looks of my R8 but did'nt mention anything about my Miltek...Which I am sure he heard it , as he was top down. I have to admit that F430 is MUCH more pretty than my R 8. Mine may look a BIT more agressive though. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
To be thought of in the same class as a Ferrari makes the "bang for the buck" look great. I am sure the V10 will only lessen the gap between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I haven't driven a 430, though have driven older Ferraris, and a number of older Maseratis and Alfas over the years. I have heard Italians who are "into" cars use the term "nervosa" for the particular quality of steering feel or feedback from the wheels that they generally prize in a sportscar.(forgive me if I've got the language a little wrong, I don't speak Italian) Especially acute road feel and response to steering input is even described as "nervosita". This kind of driving "feel" is the sort of thing you experience with a lot of Italian road cars, and especially classic road racers (I particularly recall an Alfa GT Zagato in fond memory). But this peculiar positive quality was even present in my (generally thought to be) humble Maserati bi-turbo of the '80s.

Exactly how they do it is a good question. "Bushings" is what one Italian mechanic told me (meaning choice of damping material in the suspension and steering joints) but it's got to be more than that, IMHO. Late model Ferraris I have experienced do seem to have a measure of this quality, which Italian drivers are said to favor. I have heard it said that Porsches definitely lack this quality.

In view of all that, it's interesting that you favor the R8 feel in this comparison. That's quite a high complement to the R8. Perhaps the Audi's engineers have learned a thing or two from Lamborghini?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was thinking about these types of comparisons this weekend. I have an R8 w/ Stasis Exhaust and a Challenge Stradale with stock CS exhaust (running w/ bypass)... and I used to have a 430 Challenge. The sounds are very different, the driving style is very different... everything is just different. And I love them both but for different reasons. R8 is an everyday sports car. The CS is a wild beast that takes a ton of respect to drive well. I am much more relaxed in the R8. Performance wise, its hard to compare just off of lap times as my demeanor is so different in both cars. IN the end, I'll say I think the R8 is the perfect daily driving sports car and suites the general population much better than any Ferrari does. But I'm keeping both. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock F430 exhaust is WEAK-SAUCE at lower revs.Sounds funny in fact.The F430 guy I sped around with the other day was in love with the looks of my R8 but did'nt mention anything about my Miltek...Which I am sure he heard it , as he was top down. I have to admit that F430 is MUCH more pretty than my R 8. Mine may look a BIT more agressive though. :)
I think the R8 looks much better

·
Registered
180 Posts
The R8 is a perfect every day car. F430 is a perfect weekend car...both are very different, yet both fill the need of every car enthusiast! Both will hold a spot in our garage...until something better comes along.:rolleyes:(The sound of the F430 is awesome...neighbors down the street always say they know when we are pulling out for a ride:D)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I was thinking about these types of comparisons this weekend. I have an R8 w/ Stasis Exhaust and a Challenge Stradale with stock CS exhaust (running w/ bypass)... and I used to have a 430 Challenge. The sounds are very different, the driving style is very different... everything is just different. And I love them both but for different reasons. R8 is an everyday sports car. The CS is a wild beast that takes a ton of respect to drive well. I am much more relaxed in the R8. Performance wise, its hard to compare just off of lap times as my demeanor is so different in both cars. IN the end, I'll say I think the R8 is the perfect daily driving sports car and suites the general population much better than any Ferrari does. But I'm keeping both. :)

I agree with you 100%. I drive the R8 almost anywhere anytime. But reserve the CS whenever I need to release some anger.:D

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I drive the R8 almost anywhere anytime. But reserve the CS whenever I need to release some anger.:D
Your jeep SRT8 is also a good choice to release anger :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
R 8s are purrfect for the general populace !! Thankfully mine is an automatic which actually confuses the general population . (should I leave her warming while I make a coffee ) won't be stolen. :) Yesterday I let a FERRARI guy try to move my R 8 a little bit at his shop. He seemed a little confused in the cockpit. Just to hear Audi in conversations about Supercars should make the Audi inustry proud to have entered into a new league. Happened real fast. Suddenly the R 8 came out and was instantly accepted. This hasn't happened in a long time. I am pleased to be a part of something entirely new.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I wonder if we are drinking our own kool-aid a bit with the idea that R8's are thought of in anywhere near the same class as a Ferrari? Does anyone besides R8 owners believe this? I wonder if the typical Ferrari owner would simply consider such thinking to be delusional?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I personally don't think the new Audi can bring the status of the more expensive,prettier,faster,sweeter sounding Exotics . Low budget guys like me are just able to squeeze in and feel a LITTLE glory. HYPE has been well done on the new Aud !!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I wonder if we are drinking our own kool-aid a bit with the idea that R8's are thought of in anywhere near the same class as a Ferrari? Does anyone besides R8 owners believe this? I wonder if the typical Ferrari owner would simply consider such thinking to be delusional?
I don't think so. As mentioned earlier, these are too different cars with different purposes. One can do better than the other in different types of driving and occasion. There's nothing delusional about liking the R8 more than the Ferrari when one prefer an all around everyday sportscar.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Anger Management is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think so. As mentioned earlier, these are too different cars with different purposes. One can do better than the other in different types of driving and occasion. There's nothing delusional about liking the R8 more than the Ferrari when one prefer an around everyday sportscar.
Well said. I think of the R8 as a entry level supercar. Audi has balanced power, handling and looks to produce a car that can be easily used as a daily driver, then taken to the track to enjoy. Hard core track guys are going to always want more power, so that is where the next level cars come in. And so all the V10 guys don't get angry, the V10 will close the gap a little.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
In the old days, before they started shooting people for speeding in the UK, I had a 360 F1 and a SL55.

The Ferrari was faster on paper, sounded better, handled better, looked better etc etc BUT in real life, on UK roads, I could still get from A to B faster in the SL55. Why? because it was so much more relaxing to drive that I could drive it fast for longer.

I was reminded of this when I test drove the R8 V10, OK its not like a 360 or an SL55 but it was so easy to drive fast. I'm 50 now and I like to get out of a car smiling not sweating !

1 - 20 of 44 Posts