Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figuring that many owners here seem to also have owned ferraris/other supercars in the past or currently I wanted to get some additional input on likes and dislikes between the 2 as titled. As my purchasing of the r8 gets closer my younger self inside is also drawn to owning a f430. I have a model on my tv stand currently so i think it just subconsciously is presenting itself. I didnt really think they were an option but a couple quick searches and they are pretty much priced in the same ball park as the v10s for early year f430s. Right now my only knock is I want to be able to drive the car in the winter and no awd on the ferrari kills that. My house has a pretty steep driveway that even the nicest winter tires might have a fit with a RWD car, plus cant beat the confidence level of quattro. /rant

Thanks for the input in advance!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Many people cross shop the 430 with the R8. Virtually everyone here goes german for a host of reasons. For me, the early 2000's were not a great time for car interiors. When I drove the 430, it was pretty dated on the inside and was missing virtually every feature you would find in a 2014+ R8.

If you going to leap frog in a few years, might as well get the ferrari drive it for a while. You can upgrade to a newer 458, or some other exotic/sport car down the road. If you want a keeper, probably go for the R8.

-td

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many people cross shop the 430 with the R8. Virtually everyone here goes german for a host of reasons. For me, the early 2000's were not a great time for car interiors. When I drove the 430, it was pretty dated on the inside and was missing virtually every feature you would find in a 2014+ R8.

If you going to leap frog in a few years, might as well get the ferrari drive it for a while. You can upgrade to a newer 458, or some other exotic/sport car down the road. If you want a keeper, probably go for the R8.

-td
Definitely agree. The interior is very dated on the 430 and I am looking for a lifetime keeper. If I upgrade I would def still keep the r8 and have a 2nd supercar. Something about ticking the rari box appeals to me and makes me think maybe I try the 430 out for a year then go to the r8. But i want to get in on the r8s before the values start going back up on them too. Tough call.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I currently have a Gen 2 V10 Plus and just bought a 430 Scuderia, two cars are night and day difference. The R8 is civilized, comfortable, reliable and extremely fast and competent. The 430 Scuderia is just so pure and raw, I don’t use the radio, but just focus on the sensations of the drive, the lightness and accuracy of the steering, the sound of the engine, exhaust, and the clicks and whoosh of the hydraulics on the F1 gearbox, and the thin carbon fiber seats provide all the sensations transmitted from the suspension. There is no comparison the rawness of this car. I love it. The R8 you take a date on, the Ferrari, you go solo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You should check out the Ferrari FF. You can get 2012-13 models in the low $110-120s. They are AWD. No manual trans though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should check out the Ferrari FF. You can get 2012-13 models in the low $110-120s. They are AWD. No manual trans though.
I want your r8. Haha. Love that spec. Not interested in a front engine rari though. It would literally be f430 or nothing ferrari at all honestly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I currently have a Gen 2 V10 Plus and just bought a 430 Scuderia, two cars are night and day difference. The R8 is civilized, comfortable, reliable and extremely fast and competent. The 430 Scuderia is just so pure and raw, I don’t use the radio, but just focus on the sensations of the drive, the lightness and accuracy of the steering, the sound of the engine, exhaust, and the clicks and whoosh of the hydraulics on the F1 gearbox, and the thin carbon fiber seats provide all the sensations transmitted from the suspension. There is no comparison the rawness of this car. I love it. The R8 you take a date on, the Ferrari, you go solo.
This sounds perfect. Unfortunately another factor I have to consider is the closest ferrari dealer is basically 2 hrs away if I come across any issues with the 430. Although my research hasnt presented much its still a factor I must consider. Scuderia would be dreamy

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a 2013 R8 V10+, and a 2000 Ferrari 360. Similar to your 430, as it's the same chassis, but just more "dated".

Though, the interior on the 360 and 430 really isn't much of a difference at all, mainly just the exterior looks.

I bought the R8 to be my "daily" car when I dont' need to take the kids, and the 360, it's a weekend fun car. Agreed on what Pistolerom5 said, very accurate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My buddy has a F430 F1. It’s nice and it drives very well but it was so much slower than my R8. Plus, I wanted more comfort. I drove his car for 2 hours and I felt it. My wife and I take long trips on the R8 which is very comfortable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy has a F430 F1. It’s nice and it drives very well but it was so much slower than my R8. Plus, I wanted more comfort. I drove his car for 2 hours and I felt it. My wife and I take long trips on the R8 which is very comfortable.
This purchase will def be the weekend getaway car with the wife for wine tasting or the beach so long distance comfort is definitely ideal. Thanks for that info. Hadnt heard anybody talking about the performance comparison. Ive watched a few youtube videos comparing them but wanted to see some owners opinions.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I owned a 2007 F430 with only 7000 miles and have owned several R8's. My observations. The Audi is hands down a better car, Faster, Better fit and finish, Better ride, handles every bit as good and even better steering feel once converted to RWD ( First mod I would do). My Ferrari was grey and probably did not get the attention a Red car would get but it still got more attention than my R8's. I actually like the shape better on the R8 but the general public tend to ohhh and aweeee over the Ferrari logo much more. My R8 has exhaust, coilovers and other mods and the 430 was stock so perhaps Its not fair but that said I keep buying R8's and have no desire to have another F430. I drove a 458 for a weekend and liked it so much better than the 430 but even that did not convince me that $50k more was justified than my 6M R8 V10 and it just was not more fun. Now if it came down to Rtronic or 458 thats a different story, Overall if the Ferrari name is important that's fine but if your looking to just enjoy the car, I cant think of a better fun for the $$$ than a Gen One R8 6M V10

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I owned a 2007 F430 with only 7000 miles and have owned several R8's. My observations. The Audi is hands down a better car, Faster, Better fit and finish, Better ride, handles every bit as good and even better steering feel once converted to RWD ( First mod I would do). My Ferrari was grey and probably did not get the attention a Red car would get but it still got more attention than my R8's. I actually like the shape better on the R8 but the general public tend to ohhh and aweeee over the Ferrari logo much more. My R8 has exhaust, coilovers and other mods and the 430 was stock so perhaps Its not fair but that said I keep buying R8's and have no desire to have another F430. I drove a 458 for a weekend and liked it so much better than the 430 but even that did not convince me that $50k more was justified than my 6M R8 V10 and it just was not more fun. Now if it came down to Rtronic or 458 thats a different story, Overall if the Ferrari name is important that's fine but if your looking to just enjoy the car, I cant think of a better fun for the $$$ than a Gen One R8 6M V10 View attachment 246858 View attachment 246859
Great response. Exactly what I am looking to hear. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've driven the F430 spyder, and it's honestly quite tempting, but the manuals go for a massive premium that will put you in a completely different price bracket. Personally, the main downside for me is the attention the F430 would naturally draw due to the brand. I would have to give the F430 a slight edge in terms of being more exciting and having more of a raw driving experience (or maybe I just need to try an R8 spyder). The R8 is just a better overall car -- more modern, more comfort, etc, but there's just something different about driving a Ferrari that makes it feel a bit more special. In the end, I feel that it's a very personal decision, down to both your circumstances and your preferences.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
So, when I was buying this car, I gave myself a very healthy budget and cross shopped nearly everything under the sun - well, anything about $400k and under. My final three came down to:

• Ferrari 355F1 GTS
  • R8 V10
  • Ferrari 458
For a lot of people, this was probably the weirdest line-up they had seen. Most people will cross shop based upon a budget, whereas I was simply shopping for the car that I'd enjoy the most and keep - indefinitely - somewhat with disregard to price. The 355 has been my favorite Ferrari of... well, forever, I suppose. It came out when I was in high school, and I guess that's a really influential time for people - but it's honestly the most gorgeous V8 Ferrari, the sounds are insane, and the experience is very much old-school raw (e.g. much smaller package than modern supercars, ZERO driver aids, etc.). The downside was that it's basically a ticking time bomb of issues. The costs didn't concern me as much (given how inexpensive you can get one - although prices have been rising quite a lot), but the lack of reliability, screwing up my Sunday afternoon drive, was problematic for me.

The R8 has been another car I've had a love affair with since it arrived on the seen. Granted, I first laid eyes on the R8 in 2003 (as the Le Mans Quattro Concept), so the duration of that love affair was slightly shorter than the 355, but you can see from the date I joined this forum that the R8 has been on my mind (and in my heart) for a long, long time. The pros? I could buy it new, spec it exactly as I wanted, it would blend beautiful Italian design influences (yes, Walter De Silva, the R8's designer, is Italian) with German build quality and reliability, etc. The downside? Well, I'd have to give up the Ferrari "badge" - a brand I've loved since a wee lil' one - but not much else.

The 458 gave me the Ferrari brand, R8 V10 comparable power (and then a bit more), a much more modern package than the 355, and probably the best V8 Ferrari styling since the 355. The cons? It just didn't feel as well built - fit and finish wise - as the R8. And while I love the look of the 458, I never pined over it the way I did the aforementioned two cars.

So, after much debate it came down to the R8. This is a car that's honestly SO good in more ways than I can reasonably sum up in a post on a forum. The looks, the exotic engine, the sounds, the history / heritage, the driving experience, the build quality... it's seriously a unicorn when it comes to how much you get in a single package. Many classic trade-offs and compromises just aren't the case with the R8.

Now, the 360 and 430 were never considerations for me - I felt this was a bit of an awkward time for Ferrari both in exterior and interior styling. The late 90's and early 2000's styling saw a lot of cars just get overly rounded, and while I've since warmed more to these cars' designs, I always felt the 360 was too soft... a bit of a jelly bean. The 430 rectified some of that, but I was still never a fan... nor of the sounds. The 360 was weed-whacker next to the sounds of the 355, but the 430 did fix a lot of that issue.

Speaking from experience, I know it's a complex process to make a decision like this - spend some time with the cars, do some soul searching on what you value most, make the pro/con lists, whatever helps you work through what will be best for YOU. Then choose the R8. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you are in an area that snows and have little experience owning supercars I would really suggest getting an r8. If long distance cruising and going out with wife is a foreseeable activity definitely get the R8 haha. There's a reason why r8 is such a good entry into supercars, reliable, dependable, lots of service centers everywhere, lotta shared parts with audi and VW etc.,quattro makes it easier in bad weather conditions, comfortable ride with a good sound system, pretty affordable since it's almost fully depreciated, looks great sounds good looks exotic, u cant go wrong. There will be times when you wish u are in a ferrari, but that doesnt happen very often, r8 got most of your needs covered. You can always save up later and be a bit adventurous with ferraris. You must be attracted to the f430 subconsciously (like I am), but u must be ready (be close to a dealer, know a good/dependable/honest Ferrari mechanic nearby, financially stashed away for repairs, willing to give up a lot of comfort/ease and know what these cars are about. I wouldnt say it's as raw as say a lotus, but it's definitely more focused and analogue). Like many have mentioned, u get a lot more feel and more dynamic experience driving the f430, and that's partly because the car feels like it's 2 decades old. That is not necessarily a bad thing, since u cant get cars like that anymore so it's like a time capsule, but just make sure that's what you want.If you are looking for a ferrari replacement more similar to the r8, the 458 would be the one to go. Performance wise, the r8 feels faster because of the torque for anything under 120. But as you get faster the weight advantage starts to kick in and I believe they are very similar. The 458 is a tad faster than both.The r8 has more grip but more understeer, the f430s are more playful as the stability system supposedly allow u to have a bit fun in race mode. The 360 and challenge stradale system is even more scary if you dont know what you are doing lol. In terms of engine/exhaust sound I I would leans a tiny bit towards the f430/scud, mostly due to the low end. The v10 is one of the best sounds ever I think but at the low end it doesnt have quite the variation and organic quality of the f430 engine. And I agree they are very different cars, prob not many would cross shop them other than the similar price tag. While the f430 doesnt have a lot of catastrophic failures and are very reliable as far as ferrari goes, they do have many small issues that are hit and miss. I personally had a lot of issues on my f430 spider, some minor ones on the 458 and scud, and had friend's who had 30k of repairs in the first year of ownership (all covered under dealer extended warranty, but is enough to scare him to sell it and save for a 458). Check out normalguysupercar's journey on youtube, he showed all his issues on the f430 and 458 throughout his past 3 years of ownership. If you wrench cars yourself you might be more ready to take on such cars as the first supercar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, when I was buying this car, I gave myself a very healthy budget and cross shopped nearly everything under the sun - well, anything about $400k and under. My final three came down to:

• Ferrari 355F1 GTS
  • R8 V10
  • Ferrari 458
For a lot of people, this was probably the weirdest line-up they had seen. Most people will cross shop based upon a budget, whereas I was simply shopping for the car that I'd enjoy the most and keep - indefinitely - somewhat with disregard to price. The 355 has been my favorite Ferrari of... well, forever, I suppose. It came out when I was in high school, and I guess that's a really influential time for people - but it's honestly the most gorgeous V8 Ferrari, the sounds are insane, and the experience is very much old-school raw (e.g. much smaller package than modern supercars, ZERO driver aids, etc.). The downside was that it's basically a ticking time bomb of issues. The costs didn't concern me as much (given how inexpensive you can get one - although prices have been rising quite a lot), but the lack of reliability, screwing up my Sunday afternoon drive, was problematic for me.

The R8 has been another car I've had a love affair with since it arrived on the seen. Granted, I first laid eyes on the R8 in 2003 (as the Le Mans Quattro Concept), so the duration of that love affair was slightly shorter than the 355, but you can see from the date I joined this forum that the R8 has been on my mind (and in my heart) for a long, long time. The pros? I could buy it new, spec it exactly as I wanted, it would blend beautiful Italian design influences (yes, Walter De Silva, the R8's designer, is Italian) with German build quality and reliability, etc. The downside? Well, I'd have to give up the Ferrari "badge" - a brand I've loved since a wee lil' one - but not much else.

The 458 gave me the Ferrari brand, R8 V10 comparable power (and then a bit more), a much more modern package than the 355, and probably the best V8 Ferrari styling since the 355. The cons? It just didn't feel as well built - fit and finish wise - as the R8. And while I love the look of the 458, I never pined over it the way I did the aforementioned two cars.

So, after much debate it came down to the R8. This is a car that's honestly SO good in more ways than I can reasonably sum up in a post on a forum. The looks, the exotic engine, the sounds, the history / heritage, the driving experience, the build quality... it's seriously a unicorn when it comes to how much you get in a single package. Many classic trade-offs and compromises just aren't the case with the R8.

Now, the 360 and 430 were never considerations for me - I felt this was a bit of an awkward time for Ferrari both in exterior and interior styling. The late 90's and early 2000's styling saw a lot of cars just get overly rounded, and while I've since warmed more to these cars' designs, I always felt the 360 was too soft... a bit of a jelly bean. The 430 rectified some of that, but I was still never a fan... nor of the sounds. The 360 was weed-whacker next to the sounds of the 355, but the 430 did fix a lot of that issue.

Speaking from experience, I know it's a complex process to make a decision like this - spend some time with the cars, do some soul searching on what you value most, make the pro/con lists, whatever helps you work through what will be best for YOU. Then choose the R8. :)
Took you long enough to show up here. I knew you had to have some insight. Thanks for the input. Like you the 360/430 were the cars that arrived during my teens and became dream cars quickly. I love a 355 too though. I actually worked for audi when the r8 was launching and it quickly became the car I really wanted but was not attainable at that point in my life. I think at the end of the day the r8 will check pretty much every box. Now I just have to be patient and wait for the right one to appear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts