Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you are in an area that snows and have little experience owning supercars I would really suggest getting an r8. If long distance cruising and going out with wife is a foreseeable activity definitely get the R8 haha. There's a reason why r8 is such a good entry into supercars, reliable, dependable, lots of service centers everywhere, lotta shared parts with audi and VW etc.,quattro makes it easier in bad weather conditions, comfortable ride with a good sound system, pretty affordable since it's almost fully depreciated, looks great sounds good looks exotic, u cant go wrong. There will be times when you wish u are in a ferrari, but that doesnt happen very often, r8 got most of your needs covered. You can always save up later and be a bit adventurous with ferraris. You must be attracted to the f430 subconsciously (like I am), but u must be ready (be close to a dealer, know a good/dependable/honest Ferrari mechanic nearby, financially stashed away for repairs, willing to give up a lot of comfort/ease and know what these cars are about. I wouldnt say it's as raw as say a lotus, but it's definitely more focused and analogue). Like many have mentioned, u get a lot more feel and more dynamic experience driving the f430, and that's partly because the car feels like it's 2 decades old. That is not necessarily a bad thing, since u cant get cars like that anymore so it's like a time capsule, but just make sure that's what you want.If you are looking for a ferrari replacement more similar to the r8, the 458 would be the one to go. Performance wise, the r8 feels faster because of the torque for anything under 120. But as you get faster the weight advantage starts to kick in and I believe they are very similar. The 458 is a tad faster than both.The r8 has more grip but more understeer, the f430s are more playful as the stability system supposedly allow u to have a bit fun in race mode. The 360 and challenge stradale system is even more scary if you dont know what you are doing lol. In terms of engine/exhaust sound I I would leans a tiny bit towards the f430/scud, mostly due to the low end. The v10 is one of the best sounds ever I think but at the low end it doesnt have quite the variation and organic quality of the f430 engine. And I agree they are very different cars, prob not many would cross shop them other than the similar price tag. While the f430 doesnt have a lot of catastrophic failures and are very reliable as far as ferrari goes, they do have many small issues that are hit and miss. I personally had a lot of issues on my f430 spider, some minor ones on the 458 and scud, and had friend's who had 30k of repairs in the first year of ownership (all covered under dealer extended warranty, but is enough to scare him to sell it and save for a 458). Check out normalguysupercar's journey on youtube, he showed all his issues on the f430 and 458 throughout his past 3 years of ownership. If you wrench cars yourself you might be more ready to take on such cars as the first supercar.
I actually did watch normalsportsguys videos and that was what kind of put the f430 on the table for me. His ownership discussion really had me thinking and I am definitely hands on with all of my cars. This would be my first supercar but not german sports car so I am at least familiar with some of the pay to play aspects of doing your own tinkering. As I said to EZ in my mind I know the r8 is really the choice for me. I unfortunately have a window of when I am purchasing so all this idle time is making me second guess so figured I would poll for some input on the matter. Thanks for yours!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Funny...3 years ago i had the same decision to make. Fast forward to present day, im so glad that i ended up with my manual R8. The R8 looks so much better and newer then the Ferrari 430 (and def the 360). With those ferraris you can tell right away that they are older ferraris....and although they arent ugle cars...in my opinions the Gen 1 R8 looks WAY better by far. Also the interior of the R8 (specially if you chose the carbon fiber trim) looks way newer and more super carish :) the R8 is more fun to drive and easier on the wallet to maintain etc. Now, if you compare the Gen R8 to a newer ferrari than its a completley different story but for they money and the best bang for your buck...R8 hands down (with all the right specs ....Manual, carbon fiber trim etc). Hope this helps. Cant go wrong with either though. Good luck!

Reactions: mugello21

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Funny...3 years ago i had the same decision to make. Fast forward to present day, im so glad that i ended up with my manual R8. The R8 looks so much better and newer then the Ferrari 430 (and def the 360). With those ferraris you can tell right away that they are older ferraris....and although they arent ugle cars...in my opinions the Gen 1 R8 looks WAY better by far. Also the interior of the R8 (specially if you chose the carbon fiber trim) looks way newer and more super carish :) the R8 is more fun to drive and easier on the wallet to maintain etc. Now, if you compare the Gen R8 to a newer ferrari than its a completley different story but for they money and the best bang for your buck...R8 hands down (with all the right specs ....Manual, carbon fiber trim etc). Hope this helps. Cant go wrong with either though. Good luck!
they are amazing looking cars for sure. I think my heart knows what it wants. the r8. hopefully i can find the one i want

·
Registered
20 Posts
i can write this from personal experience but however not with the exact same model of Ferrari my father has owned a 2004 360 modana spider 6speed since i was a kid and i find the experience to be much more raw coming from the Ferrari to my Audi.The cars drive very different and if your looking for a true raw experince go with the ferrari the audi feels much more refined

·
Registered
17 Posts
Currently have a second gen R8 and a 07 F430 Spider that I bought from a friend of mine back in 2010.

It seems you've got plenty of input that I mostly agree with in previous replies, so I'll keep this short and sweet. Because you are debating between a first gen R8 (and not second gen) and the F430, I would go with the F430 hands down -- unless it was a V10 first gen you are going for - my vote goes to that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I traded my 360 gated spyder almost straight up for a 2014 R8 4.2 gated convertible a couple of years ago. The cars are way different, for starters if your driveway has a steep rise from the road the 430 won’t make it. My driveway is not even that steep and I had trouble with the 360 scraping.
A nice gated 430 is going to be a $150 k car, and I think a beautiful car that will hold its value. It will also come with occasional $5 k repair/mtn bills that are just part of owning an older Ferrari.
The R8 is the more logical, practical choice, but I would trade my R8 today for a gated 430 and never look back. Completely different driving experience, the Audi I feel I could cross the country in without a worry, the Ferrari may not make it 500 miles but would be a thrill every minute.
Another car to throw into the mix is an AMG GTS. You can find a nice, low mileage one for $90 k all day, get 550 hp and an awesome driving experience. I have both the AMG GTS and R8 now, the AMG is the one I choose to drive much more often.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I agree with Spider if you can find a gated Ferrari F430 I don't think you could ever lose. The R8 is a totally different experience. I also agree with Nico. I would only go gated V10. If an Rtronic or F430 Auto was the choice I would go with the 430.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a modded f430 and test drove a 2017 R8 v10 today.

I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would hope, I was disappointed actually. The R8 was a beautiful car, I would categorize the R8 as more of a GT car. The seats sat up high, you don’t sink into it like a cockpit. The shifts weren’t brutal, but they were lightning quick. One thing I hated was the transmission. In manual mode when you let off the brake the car moves forward. I would expect that when in sport mode, you stay in neutral and would act as a manual transmission.
I haven’t counted out the R8 but my plan is to test drive a huracan.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Had a modded f430 and test drove a 2017 R8 v10 today.

I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would hope, I was disappointed actually. The R8 was a beautiful car, I would categorize the R8 as more of a GT car. The seats sat up high, you don’t sink into it like a cockpit. The shifts weren’t brutal, but they were lightning quick. One thing I hated was the transmission. In manual mode when you let off the brake the car moves forward. I would expect that when in sport mode, you stay in neutral and would act as a manual transmission.
I haven’t counted out the R8 but my plan is to test drive a huracan.
It's going to be similar other than it may shift a little rougher (Huracan). The Huracan sits a bit lower but the interior is more cheap and gimmicky. If you want a "driver's car" get a McLaren. However the exhaust note and dealer support is lacking on their end.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quite a few years ago, I did a Ferrari factory tour. The host talked about everything about the engine and the transmission (and a bit about the beautiful curves) and practically nothing else about the car. At the end, he said, the engine and the transmission are the car, everything else is just a shell to use those two.

To me, driving a Ferrari feels like skiing moguls on a steep ski slope. Two things are really important; your legs and the skies. Everything else is just the details. You ski as fast as you dare to ski, and feel the slope, the moguls, the ice, and all that. You know you have to pay 100% attention. Or you’ll lose control and die. And yet it feels really good. Once you are at the bottom of the slope, your body is beaten, and you feel mentally exhausted. And yet, you cannot wait to recover to do it again.

Ferrari feels the same. You want to push it as much as you can on a curvy road. But at the end, it is tiring. You cannot do it everyday to go to work and do groceries. Ferrari, to me, is a weekend warrior.

And yet, if I want such a car, I would go buy a McLaren. Yes, the engine sound is not the same but, Good God, it feels really really good to drive. It is much less common, but as unreliable as a Ferrari (well, OK maybe a little worse, but if you are using it only on the weekends, who cares! )

I have to agree, driving an R8 feels nothing like a Ferrari or McLaren. I am afraid it is not a driver car like those two. It is more subdued, more comfortable, and easier to control. It just feels at home driving 35mph and 110mph. I can (and do) drive it everyday. And, more importantly, to me, it does not feel like just an engine and transmission. I need some luxury and comfort, and Gen2 has plenty of that.

And that is why I bought it...

PS.
I highly recommend renting a Ferrari or a McLaren once in a while. I hear, they really are very nice to drive ?.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats, like a lot of folks I went through the same dilemma, I chose a gated R8 as well, although in the next year or two I’ll be debating Gen 2 vs 458

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I ended up going the r8 route. Just picked up a 2011 gated V10 and love it!
I've owned both F430 and 458. I'm now back in a Gated V10 R8. ( Have owned several R8's) I own a car dealership and can drive almost anything but the 6M R8 keeps drawing me back. I RWD Convert every one and do coilovers with an aggressive alignment to improve steering feel install Recaro's and like majic its my favorite car regardless of price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Congrats, like a lot of folks I went through the same dilemma, I chose a gated R8 as well, although in the next year or two I’ll be debating Gen 2 vs 458
Thanks! Yeah im already think what would I do next. The new z06 is intriguing as the c8 is performing very well but def see going Gen2 as well

21 - 37 of 37 Posts