Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up our 2009 R8 at Neckarsulm last Friday, and would highly recommend the visit.

We were picked up from our hotel in Frankfurt by chauffeur in a Q7 and blistered down to the Audi Forum. There were another 120 people picking up there cars that day, but only 2 R8's, so we were treated like royalty. We toured the R8 production line - they tell me that its the slowest car they have ever built - well not one was built that day as there was a major meeting about the R8 and all staff were invited. Treated to a great lunch and then major send-off with a photographer, and a coach load of Audi fans arrived just as were pulling out. Big grins all round!

Fantastic run through 6 countries in 2 days - Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, England and home to Scotland! But you cannot beat the Autobahn for fun or the R8 for making things disappear in the rearview mirror. WHAT A CAR!

Still running in, but going down to Knockhill soon for a blast round the track.

Only downside, was that our very knowledgeable guide, told us that Porsche have a controlling interest in VW as of 3 months ago, who in turn have 51% of Audi. And Porsche are thinking of pulling the pin on the R8 production line as its main competitor. He reckoned that he would not be showing too many more R8 owners around. Sounds like sour grapes from Porsche alright, but does anyone know anything more??

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Yes, but if Porsche does end the R8's production, this strange action will grant to the current owners of the R8 the best value insurance that any car could ever receive.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considered that, and you are right there, but a bit of a blow to Audi's esteem, and I am pretty sure it would knock the GT3 version on the head as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Even though such an action would likely confer "instant rare classic" status on my car, it would forever cause me to hate Porsche. I would never buy one of their products and would do my best to tell everyone I know who would consider such a car that Porsche is scared of real competition. I can't believe that they would take such an idiotic step.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just some questions in my mind. What about Porsche's fiduciary responsibility to Audi's corporate interest, to Audi's expansion plan, to the interest of the other 49% shareholders? Can Porsche legally f**ks up another company and have no fiduciary responsiblity to the company and the other shareholders? I realize Porsche could do it on votes alone but the move would be too obvious.

·
Registered
604 Posts
They wouldn't be closing Audi down only thinning out the range a bit

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm curious as to what would be the outcome when Porsche pulls the plug on R8's say, in 2 years. What does that mean to the R8 cars out there?

Less value due to being a one-off spin from a line that was discontinued or more valuable since there won't be any more R cars in the future.....?

One thing is for sure, Porsche will definitely shut down the R line (way too many inside Porsche executive comments on them doing this to just think that it might be idle talk)

What is your opinion?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just some questions in my mind. What about Porsche's fiduciary responsibility to Audi's corporate interest, to Audi's expansion plan, to the interest of the other 49% shareholders? Can Porsche legally f**ks up another company and have no fiduciary responsiblity to the company and the other shareholders? I realize Porsche could do it on votes alone but the move would be too obvious.
I think it would be different if Porsche was run by a responsible CEO and board (don't mention the banks versions of these!), but as a family run business, would they not be more inclined just to look after their own backsides?

·
Registered
943 Posts
No way will they kill it. Way too much money invested in it and it's very successful. Porsche is a business and nothing will heal their wounds better than money. The R8 is doing good things for the brand and will bring in a nice amount of revenue. Porsche has nothing to gain by killing it, but rather a lot to lose. Porsche has cars that can benefit from everything that the R8 consists of. AWD, mid-engine platform, direct injection, LED lights, magnetic suspension, and probably a lot more.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not sure they could do it in votes even. To simplify matters, Porsche may have 51%in VW matters, but surely some of those other 49% also have voting power in the 51% stake that VW holds in Audi. So take Audi's 49% and add a few % of pro-Audi VW people. That would block Porsche.

·
Registered
155 Posts
First some fact: Porsche has now ~33% of Vow and said they will go to above 51% soon (they already have that secured through call oprions). They also said that they might go to above 75%. In turn Vow owns 99% of Audi so Porsche does control Audi.

If the R8 was not available (getting mine in 4 days!!!!) I would have bought a 911 and to be honest for someone that wants to use the car everyday I dont think there are other alternatives. R8 is the only other everyday supercar so by killing it Porsche will not only kill direct competition it will kill the only other real alternative.

I think they will kill it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the R8 was not available (getting mine in 4 days!!!!) I would have bought a 911 and to be honest for someone that wants to use the car everyday I dont think there are other alternatives. R8 is the only other everyday supercar so by killing it Porsche will not only kill direct competition it will kill the only other real alternative.

I think they will kill it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.... But I'll still get one anyways.... hehehe

Congrats on getting your R8 this week!!! ;) Enjoy!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think this would be a disaster for current R8 owners. What would the long term service plan for the car be? Would you buy a used exotic that has been discontinued, and therefore has no assured source of service and parts? What a huge black eye this would be for Audi and the brand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No way will they kill it. Way too much money invested in it and it's very successful. Porsche is a business and nothing will heal their wounds better than money. The R8 is doing good things for the brand and will bring in a nice amount of revenue. Porsche has nothing to gain by killing it, but rather a lot to lose.
I totally agree with this comment, the R8 is a high demand high margin car, no way would anyone in their right mind give it the chop IMO :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Regardless if R8 lives or dies, Audi normally supply spares are parts for a car for 10 years or more after production stops. This is standard policy for most car makers, so no panic on this point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They will not pull pin on R8. They will simply supply it with a 1.2 diesel engine in future.
LOL

Seriously though, they just might pull the plug since it is a Porsche competitor -- what other everyday supercar is there out there except for the R8 and Porsche?

·
Registered
94 Posts
They've already pulled the plug on the R4 - the Boxster/Cayman competitor. I reckon it will either die, or move up in the price range - plenty of room there before threatening the Gallardo. (One overlooked fact of most of this is that Porsche now also control Lambo)

·
Registered
59 Posts
They've already pulled the plug on the R4 - the Boxster/Cayman competitor. I reckon it will either die, or move up in the price range - plenty of room there before threatening the Gallardo. (One overlooked fact of most of this is that Porsche now also control Lambo)
But from a business point of view, if they do move it up the price range.... will people buy it. After all, it is an Audi. If it were priced 10-20000 less than a Gallardo, it might not sell well at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very good point. But with the exception of the GT2, I don't see lambos as direct competitors to porsche. Lambos start at $200K USD and go way up. Where as most 911s top out in the low $100s, except for the turbo and GT's.

I guess porsche buying up VW and its holdings doesn't bring up any anti-trust issues?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts