Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking at a 2020 R8 V10 Spyder, which has the factory sport exhaust. Will the exhaust button on the steering wheel (to open and close valves) work with aftermarket exhaust as well? Or will this button become useless?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
477 Posts
It does if the installer does it right and doesn’t follow the exhaust manufacturers instruction to run the vacuum lines to their module only. If the installer uses common sense (and you should tell him to) and runs the OEM lines also then you can use both the exhaust button on wheel and the key fob controller (if your exhaust comes with one).

If it doesn’t then the lines will just be ran to your OEM module and hence the steering wheel button works fine.

just make sure you buy a valvetronic aftermarket exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does if the installer does it right and doesn’t follow the exhaust manufacturers instruction to run the vacuum lines to their module only. If the installer uses common sense (and you should tell him to) and runs the OEM lines also then you can use both the exhaust button on wheel and the key fob controller (if your exhaust comes with one).

If it doesn’t then the lines will just be ran to your OEM module and hence the steering wheel button works fine.

just make sure you buy a valvetronic aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks for the tips...so if you're going with an aftermarket non-valved exhaust, just a simple exhaust. Then does the button still do anything?

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
477 Posts
If non-valved then you lose the button. I would only get a valved if you have the steering wheel button. So you can control when you want it loud or quieter. If not then it will be loud all the time

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
If you buy a non valved exhaust the button will be useless as nothing to control.

Buy a valved exhaust and just plumb it to stock valve control.

Exhaust button and drive select will do everything as oem then just with more noise from aftermarket exhaust.

New OPF R8 doesn’t have exhaust button anymore even on performance model. Also has 3k rpm limit in neutral to stop static blipping.

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
If you buy a non valved exhaust the button will be useless as nothing to control.

Buy a valved exhaust and just plumb it to stock valve control.

Exhaust button and drive select will do everything as oem then just with more noise from aftermarket exhaust.

New OPF R8 doesn’t have exhaust button anymore even on performance model. Also has 3k rpm limit in neutral to stop static blipping.

Cheers Ricky

What the hell is static blipping?

547 Posts
Hey all,

Looking at a 2020 R8 V10 Spyder, which has the factory sport exhaust. Will the exhaust button on the steering wheel (to open and close valves) work with aftermarket exhaust as well? Or will this button become useless?

Thanks!
As many have said, It will all depend on the Aftermarket System you choose. Our system was built specifically to be wired through your steering wheel button, however, if customers wish, we include a full controller kit with remotes (Pictured Below).

The aftermarket System will not affect any Stock Drive modes or settings, It will work just as seamlessly as the OE system, the only difference being power and sound gains!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
As many have said, It will all depend on the Aftermarket System you choose. Our system was built specifically to be wired through your steering wheel button, however, if customers wish, we include a full controller kit with remotes (Pictured Below).

The aftermarket System will not affect any Stock Drive modes or settings, It will work just as seamlessly as the OE system, the only difference being power and sound gains!

View attachment 259306

View attachment 259305
Can you get me the Arkapovic exhaust tips for a fair price? Gen 2

547 Posts
Can you get me the Arkapovic exhaust tips for a fair price? Gen 2
Absolutely cannot help you there. However, I would be happy to hook you up with forum pricing on one of the industry's best systems in terms of power and sound.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Absolutely cannot help you there. However, I would be happy to hook you up with forum pricing on one of the industry's best systems in terms of power and sound.
Nevermind. Not interested in a third aftermarket exhaust. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
If you are going after market, I would keep it as simple but functional as possible and buy an valved system but without the electronic modules and remotes etc.

You only need to disconnect the vacuum lines from the OEM exhaust and reconnect them to the valves on the new system and you will have all the functionality of the OEM system, just more volume. Some systems include the module and remote in the price, some don't and offer it only as an optional extra. If you opt for the former I would try and negotiate a discount by foregoing the remote module. It is really only useful if you want to override the factory default exhaust settings, for example, if you want to close the valves during a cold start - you can't do this from the Drive Select or buttons.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe
238 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
I wouldn’t even consider an after market exhaust without the valves working with the factory steering button. Not sure what Canada is like, but the people’s republic of CA has a jihad going against loud exhaust. The option to tone down the sound is a must. The DB threshold is 95db. Even if your stock exhaust exceeds this you can get tagged with an automatic fine plus the fix it (not sure how they expect you to “fix” a stock system). Also the cops can cite you without even taking a decibel reading (cops have been deemed automotive experts on all subjects).

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
If you are going after market, I would keep it as simple but functional as possible and buy an valved system but without the electronic modules and remotes etc.

You only need to disconnect the vacuum lines from the OEM exhaust and reconnect them to the valves on the new system and you will have all the functionality of the OEM system, just more volume. Some systems include the module and remote in the price, some don't and offer it only as an optional extra. If you opt for the former I would try and negotiate a discount by foregoing the remote module. It is really only useful if you want to override the factory default exhaust settings, for example, if you want to close the valves during a cold start - you can't do this from the Drive Select or buttons.
Completely agree!!

Same can be applied to Gen 1 V10 plus with dsg as the sport button controls exhaust valves!!

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey just wanted to give a heads up if you weren’t aware- the fabspeed exhaust remote frequency can be mapped to the Audi link buttons if you don’t have the button on your wheel. That’s how I have it set on my gen1 R8 v10 as mine didn’t come with a valved exhaust button.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts