Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the victim gains the dubious fame of having suffered the first fatal accident in an R8 ?

http://www.oberberg-aktuell.de/show-article.php?iRubrikID=1&iArticleID=69083

Sounds like the typical deadly mix: testdrive with a high powered sportscar, strong rain, tricky corner, too much speed + no seatbelt

What happened: long right bend on a (Autobahn-like designed) road - driver doesn't manage the turn, hence bumps into the armco at the left side (separating the lane from the oncoming traffic), car bounces to the opposite, "shaves" a roadsign some 150m after the first impact, bumps sideways into a crash-wall and comes to a halt on top of the armco.

Police assumed that the side impact killed the driver. They also are quite sure that the driver didn't use the safety belt

AUDI is about to examine the wreck (I guess for R&D purposes).

Sounds like the old story: driving a potent sportscar makes some people believe that improved driving skills are part of the package and that the limits of driving physics can be expanded with such a fine car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Holy fook

Glad the roof is still in one peace as an audi instructor reminded me that there is no roll bar !!

RIP

·
Registered
100 Posts
Terrible shame. And this is one of the most driver friendly sportscars on the road today.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Some of the Autobahn's are really not suitable for high speed driving - sharp bends, and bad camber in the road.

Many of them were built years ago, when cars had lower top speeds.

I have had some seat-of-pants experiences in the past with sharp corners appearing unexpectedly on Autobahn's......

But as is already noted, never drive beyond your abilities, or beyond the limits of the road/weather conditions.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If one looks carefully, the driver's seating area of this car is not highly deformed. The article says the victim had to be cut out of the wreckage, which is probably why the driver's door is missing and that side of the car looks so mangled.

My guess is that this would have been a survivable crash if the driver had been wearing a seatbelt, which the article says he wasn't.

The article also said he was doing what we in the U.S. call "driving too fast for conditions" and that the car hydroplaned. Obviously, no amount of exotic chassis execution will be worth a tinker's **** if one's speed exceeds the limits of the tires to shed water in a downpour.

On balance, I would say this accident indicates the Audi's passenger compartment maintains commendable integrity in a high-speed crash.

·
Registered
183 Posts
While driving on the Autobahn in my R8 back in late September it was raining and it was very disconcerting to me that I was constantly being passed by drivers going way too fast for conditions... Wouldn't you know I came upon an accident. The network of highways in Germany called the Autobahn offer some really good, bad and ugly roads. The NJ Turnpike is a much safer roadway than most of the Autobahn that I experienced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live not far from the accident and travel on that road quite frequently, its a straight road with good visability.The damage would suggest the car was travelling a great deal faster than the 30mph limit on that road, tragic all the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts