Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keen to know everyone's favourite roads and photos if people have them. Especially keen to know some good ones close to the Rocky Mountains. No immediate plans - next big roadtrip will be in three years time to Scandinavia and Russia :)

Here is my effort - will see if any of the Scottish members know where it is...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods, just realised that I've posted this in the wrong section - can someone please put it in off topic. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
With the brecon beacons a short drive away, theres no shortage of great roads around here with many being frequently used by tv car programmes and magazines:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...15831,-3.519745&spn=0.33661,0.601501&t=h&z=11

the top down view doesn't do justice to the views with them being valley roads.

The a470 and the a4067 (sennybridge/cray/ynswen) road are 2 of my favorites.

I bought a video camera and car mount the other day to take some incar of those roads as I spend so much time watching other peoples incar videos I figured I really should take the time to make some of my own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the brecon beacons a short drive away, theres no shortage of great roads around here with many being frequently used by tv car programmes and magazines:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...15831,-3.519745&spn=0.33661,0.601501&t=h&z=11

the top down view doesn't do justice to the views with them being valley roads.

The a470 and the a4067 (sennybridge/cray/ynswen) road are 2 of my favorites.

I bought a video camera and car mount the other day to take some incar of those roads as I spend so much time watching other peoples incar videos I figured I really should take the time to make some of my own.
When I lived in the midlands (before moving north) I used to do alot of walking in Snowdonia and also plenty of driving in Elan Valley :cool: I assume you are well aware of The Horseshoe Pass?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will be in scotland in the last week in september
There are a few R8 owners I'm aware of who are interested in meeting up. Perhaps this could be an international event if organised when you're visiting :D

Where abouts are you visiting?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
When I lived in the midlands (before moving north) I used to do alot of walking in Snowdonia and also plenty of driving in Elan Valley I assume you are well aware of The Horseshoe Pass?
That's quite a drive away from here - 2hrs 26 mins according to google maps. North wales isn't somewhere I have any cause to visit to be honest, but if I do I'll certainly try and get that road in the inventory :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just be careful as its used as a police driver training route ;)

At least Elan Valley is a touch closer :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is my effort - will see if any of the Scottish members know where it is...

Looks similar to the road up to Glenshee from the Perth side but I'm not convinced thats it as I've only ever driven it from the opposite way in the picture:confused:

My favourite is the A939 up over the Lecht :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The photo that I have shown is a new upgraded stretch of the A832 between Achnasheen and Kinlochewe as you approach Kinlochewe.

Do you have any photos of the Lecht stretch - just to make those further away from us a touch green ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i did that stretch on the a832 last year on the motorbike,

so lovely and fast!!

The military road (Fruin Road) from Loch Lomond over to Gairelochhead.

then the wibbly wobbly road from there to arrochar!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The photo that I have shown is a new upgraded stretch of the A832 between Achnasheen and Kinlochewe as you approach Kinlochewe.

Do you have any photos of the Lecht stretch - just to make those further away from us a touch green ;)
I thought I recognised it. Used to trek up that way to Aultbea when I was a wee boy. The road was a tad smaller then :)

·
Registered
129 Posts

The climate in Scotland may be [email protected] at the best of times but boy do we have some great empty roads :D

The A939 motoring heaven :cool:

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Here in the Southeast USA, we have the locally-famous "Tail of the Dragon" run. It's highway 129 running thru Deal's Gap in the far southern end of the Appalachian mountains in the Smoky Mountain area. There are like 318 turns in 11 miles. Motorcyclists really like it. Very very twisty, but can be a bit crowded on nice weekends.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I drove the upper Corniche near Monaco, which is one of the most beautiful roads on earth, on my honeymoon this summer.

Lots of curves and surprisingly few people at some hours of the day. My bride is still talking about it.

Highly recommended, but sorry, no pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts