Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been several months after I installed the VelocityAP Valvetronic exhaust, now I think I can put some review on this great stuff.
I was concerned about the drone and if it's too loud on highway, that's why I decided to get the valvetronic one. I had the awe exhaust on my previous audi, the sound was great on local but I hated driving it on highway. This VelocityAP valvetronic one is slightly louder than stock when the valve is off, which doesn't bother me at all on highway. But when I turn the valve on, it sounds crazy and so perfect, even my wife loves it.

Here's some detailed feeling:
1. Cold start: sounds like a monster wakes up, not super loud, but very impressive. Had been asked by other audi guys what's the brand of the exhaust few times when I brought the car to the dealership for service;
2. On highway when valve is closed: sounds a little louder than stock, no drone, sometimes I didn't realize I installed the exhaust;
3. Local when valve is open: when I turned on the valve, I will feel the sound goes down low and a little louder, not sure if I describe it correctly, but it makes you feel like the beast can't wait to roar. Then when you floor the gas, the sound is sharp and loud, very exotic feeling. When I step on the brake, I will hear the beautiful backfire sound.

Overall, I love this exhaust and glad I chose the valvetronic one.:D I have few clips on my instagram: r8.mochi, in case any of you guys want to check it out

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Good stuff Louis, and I agree, sounds killer!

·
Vendor
181 Posts
It's been several months after I installed the VelocityAP Valvetronic exhaust, now I think I can put some review on this great stuff.
I was concerned about the drone and if it's too loud on highway, that's why I decided to get the valvetronic one. I had the awe exhaust on my previous audi, the sound was great on local but I hated driving it on highway. This VelocityAP valvetronic one is slightly louder than stock when the valve is off, which doesn't bother me at all on highway. But when I turn the valve on, it sounds crazy and so perfect, even my wife loves it.

1. Cold start: sounds like a monster wakes up, not super loud, but very impressive. Had been asked by other audi guys what's the brand of the exhaust few times when I brought the car to the dealership for service;
2. On highway when valve is closed: sounds a little louder than stock, no drone, sometimes I didn't realize I installed the exhaust;
3. Local when valve is open: when I turned on the valve, I will feel the sound goes down low and a little louder, not sure if I describe it correctly, but it makes you feel like the beast can't wait to roar. Then when you floor the gas, the sound is sharp and loud, very exotic feeling. When I step on the brake, I will hear the beautiful backfire sound.

Overall, I love this exhaust and glad I chose the valvetronic one.:D I have few clips on my instagram: r8.mochi, in case any of you guys want to check it out
Thank YOU for the great review. You guys have no idea how much it means to the team here, to read happy reviews and to hear video clips. The guys in the fab shop go crazy for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Velocity AP Sports Exhaust without Valves and it sounds so amazing! There are several R8’s local to me with other brands of Exhausts and every one of them wishes they had waited to hear mine! This thing sounds Killer! The Cold Start is a nice growl, but this thing on the highway sounds absolutely glorious! The weather needs to improve so I can get some video of the VAP exhaust and post before and after. Not only does this thing sound wicked, the quality is top notch! Exceptional craftsmanship through and through, as I’ve come to expect from Stu and the guys at Velocity!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm almost into my second year with my non-valved, muffled Super Sport exhaust, and I'm still loving it. It is a little aggressive on start up, but it only lasts for 30 seconds, and the neighbors shouldn't be sleeping that late anyways. LOL. During normal driving and highways cruising there is no drone, just harmony at it's best. Around town and highways cruising allows a remarkable quietness inside, resulting in normal levels of conversation and music listening. The dual note is intoxicating. When hitting the loud pedal, that typical supercar exhaust note sings. I believe Stuart's product description calls it "Spine Tingling". I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi, trust you are still about. I have been considering the same system, so by your experience, it seems a great aftermarket exhaust. I was wondering about the valves and how reliable they have been? . Some aftermarket exhausts have had issues with valves failing, which would be very annoying. Still no regrets for you with the valved system? How long did it take to install. i.e total job if carried out by suitable qualified people who have service the R8's cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, trust you are still about. I have been considering the same system, so by your experience, it seems a great aftermarket exhaust. I was wondering about the valves and how reliable they have been? . Some aftermarket exhausts have had issues with valves failing, which would be very annoying. Still no regrets for you with the valved system? How long did it take to install. i.e total job if carried out by suitable qualified people who have service the R8's cheers
The valves worked pretty well, didn't have any issue when I had the car. The shop spent the whole day to install the exhaust. I still miss that sound after I got the gen 2:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI, thanks for the reply,appreciated My car is the gen2 model, 2017 only done only 4000k when i recently bought it, basically still new. Love it. My system is under production at present and hope to have delivered to New Zealand in next few weeks. 😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts