Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just want to share my current story so far and hear what you guys think about my current situation:

• I have a '17 R8 Plus and bought a set of H&R VTF Adjustable Springs #23004-1 and four 15mm spacers.
  • I don't know how much exactly I lowered but it is definitely not as low as some of the gen 2 on instagram and their owners doesn't have the rubbing issue.
  • After a week, I believed the new springs got settled, and I start to notice my front left wheel rubs on the front of the tire against the fender liner whenever I make a slow hard right turn (outer tire edge rubs the front liner). Rubs enough that the liner already have rubbing marks and torn. No visible sign of rubs on the right fender liner when doing the opposite turn.
  • So I suspected the springs could have been installed with a difference in height or just because I didn't do an alignment.
  • I also suspected that maybe is because I have a Michellin PS4 245/30/20 on the left front tire and Pirelli P Zero 245/30/20 on the right front tire and that different manufacturer could have a slightly variation in size.
  • So today I went to do an alignment, have the technician checked the wheel heights, and also switched the both front tires to see if the rubs now occurs on the right side now.
  • The result were the wheel height was correct, both springs were adjusted at the same height. But when I start turn the tires around, I still find that the left side tire rubs the liner, even though it's now the Pirelli tire that wasn't rubbing when it was on the other side. Which in the beginning I thought that maybe Michelin tire could be slightly bigger so if I switched it to the right, it should now rub on the right, but now that isn't the case which made me more confused.
At this point I'm not sure what is causing the rub anymore. Any comment and suggestion is appreciated. I ordered a front set of 12mm spacer and once its here I might give that a try but I've seen people putting 15mm spacer in the front and lowering it with stock rim and tire and had no problem....

Thanks for reading this, my english isn't 100% sorry if it sounded confusing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm not, in the least bit, surprised by any of what you stated. Lose the spacers and problem solved. Raise it up a bit and problem solved. There's no secret sauce here. Your're too low and your spacers are pushing your wheels too far out. Given the stance in your pictures, I'm surprised it's not worse.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was literally typing the same exact thing before the site said the thread was updated before I was able to post. As he said, too wide and too low at the same time. Also, are those 21” wheels or the stock 20”s? Go with 12mm spacers as I’m sure you’d prefer to keep the ride height where it is. Personally, I’m not a fan of spacers on any car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was literally typing the same exact thing before the site said the thread was updated before I was able to post. As he said, too wide and too low at the same time. Also, are those 21” wheels or the stock 20”s? Go with 12mm spacers as I’m sure you’d prefer to keep the ride height where it is. Personally, I’m not a fan of spacers on any car.
Yeah, not a fan of spacers either. Why add extra weight? You want a wider stance? Get new wheels with better offsets.

Reactions: MistaVauros

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I been following a R8 on IG in which the owner used 15mm front and 20mm rear and it looked pretty good to me. But I certainly wouldn’t want to comprise safety and tire life just for look. Thanks for your suggestion, I will lose or switch out the spacer to give it a shot.

Also I noticed you didn’t comment on me having different brands of tires, because as I was in the car shop today, the people over there strongly disagreed on having different brand of tires and says that it will blow up my differential and that I should get 4 exact same tires. I understand that having the same brand is definitely recommended but is it as bad as they says just because I have a Michelin and a Pirelli on each side?
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks guys, I been following a R8 on IG in which the owner used 15mm front and 20mm rear and it looked pretty good to me. But I certainly wouldn’t want to comprise safety and tire life just for look. Thanks for your suggestion, I will lose or switch out the spacer to give it a shot.

Also I noticed you didn’t comment on me having different brands of tires, because as I was in the car shop today, the people over there strongly disagreed on having different brand of tires and says that it will blow up my differential and that I should get 4 exact same tires. I understand that having the same brand is definitely recommended but is it as bad as they says just because I have a Michelin and a Pirelli on each side?
Thanks
Yea, very bad. You will damage the transfer case over time and once it’s damaged, get ready to be denied warranty and spend $$$. Always have 4 of the same when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, very bad. You will damage the transfer case over time and once it’s damaged, get ready to be denied warranty and spend $$$. Always have 4 of the same when it comes to tires.
Ok got it, I've been with one michellin and three pirelli for about 400 miles now, hope its not too late to change them back to 4 of the same. But what about same tires but new vs used, will the difference in tread also affect negatively to the car?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok got it, I've been with one michellin and three pirelli for about 400 miles now, hope its not too late to change them back to 4 of the same. But what about same tires but new vs used, will the difference in tread also affect negatively to the car?
In most vehicles, especially high-end sports cars with differentials and are either AWD or RWD, you want to keep tread wear as close as possible on all tires and usually they are all replaced at once.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What’s important is tire outside diameter. The key is to keep this outside diameter the same across an axel otherwise left and right halfshafts spin at different rates. That difference in spin rates has to be mitigated by clutches in the transfer case. That difference creates heat and wear and tear on those clutches. For that reason, you replace tires on Audi’s in pairs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
^ supposedly both tires have the same outer diameter of 25.8" I just googles both tires.

Not sure why you are rubbing as discussed I did not rub with my 15mm front spacers. I feel like my car was as low as yours is but yours must be just a tad lower somehow or something.

I would roll with the 12mm spacers up front see how those change the geometry.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have H&R 12mm spacers and car is lowered on H&R springs . I have the same problem , left side rubs a little when I turn the wheel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't run different tires. 400 miles isn't that big of a deal as thankfully they were the same size and somehow have the same diameter but I'd fix that right quick.

If you're rubbing on the front fender liner on the inside section then your toe geometry is IN. If you're rubbing the back fender liner on the outside section then you're toe is OUT. If you're evenly rubbing on one or both across the liner then your caster is out of whack. All should be checked on a proper laser alignment system.

The simple part as stated above could be caused by spacers that are a little too wide. Spacers themselves aren't a big deal but on a car like this is not something really needed and is more aesthetics over function. The track is already plenty wide with the stock wheels. Safety only comes into play if your spacers are wider then your bolts/lugs are long and not able to be properly torqued.

A final possibility may be from the install - Do you have photos of the spring installation? I have not inspected R8 suspension thoroughly but perhaps there's a simple answer in that when the springs were installed they didn't seat the springs or strut perches correctly. If the top of the strut was aimed in or out, which would increase camber with the drop in ride height and bring toe in - could easily cause this.

Start by removing the spacers and see what happens. Then change to the same tires all around. If it's still there, you've got one of the things above going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts