Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has nothing to do with our R8's but I thought it was something to share. A somewhat well known clothing designer was killed in his Ferrari earlier this week in California. I have never seen anything like it. Images attached

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have seen similar photos of R8s cut in half. Fast moving vehicles are no match for trees, telephone poles and the like. Should not come as a surprise. Do not turn off ESP and don't be an idiot are the take-aways here. Drive safe.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
My calculation say at least 150 mph crash...Unless pole was sharp as a knife.There are websites of nothing but Exotic Crashes...Pretty dismal,But I must admit,Driving a little fast last night ,I did have the thought of splitting my car in half in the back of my mind.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
In order for a car to be fast AND handle well it has to be constructed very well, thus resulting in a safe car during crash.At least this is what I have been led to beleive !! Ideally the cabin should stay intact Like the Austi Martin DB 7...supposed to be the safest in a crash. And check out Exotic crashes .com and read notes on crashes like Ferrari Vs. pole and you will see that a very high rate of speed necessary to CHOP car in Half.Do your homework buddy...Dan 1 Looks like he kept the sticky side down and the shiney side up though !

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is nothing like hitting an immovable object at high speed. Rember that vehicle crash testing is done at speeds of 40 MPH or less so anything in triple digits is a different game completely. All race cars are designed to break up leaving only the driver cage intact but clearly street vehicle cages are a compromise between safety and design.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In order for a car to be fast AND handle well it has to be constructed very well, thus resulting in a safe car during crash.At least this is what I have been led to beleive !! Ideally the cabin should stay intact Like the Austi Martin DB 7...supposed to be the safest in a crash. And check out Exotic crashes .com and read notes on crashes like Ferrari Vs. pole and you will see that a very high rate of speed necessary to CHOP car in Half.Do your homework buddy...Dan 1 Looks like he kept the sticky side down and the shiney side up though !
I got it, you guessed.

I better get back to my homework.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At that speed on a non-race car, there isn't much you can do to avoid ending up in the obituaries. AWD is no safety net but making a quick high speed correction, you have a better shot of missing the tree to begin with and... isn't that the goal?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened right down the street from me. The guy was racing a Porsche(dont know what model). The Porsche had damage to it too, which leads me to beleive they collided at some point in their street race and cause the ferrari to lose control. In which case, doesnt matter how well your car handles.

Oh, and the Ferrari had a female passenger with him. She lived.

·
Registered
39 Posts
He was co-owner of TapOut, I watched their TV show several times before watching MMA fights. Thats crazy, RIP he may have been driving stupid but RIP.

Goes to remind you exspensive cars and high safety of racelike vehicle do not make you untouchable.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
:eek:Wowie...Only 2-3 hundred thousand to get that Enzo back good as new.Would it then have a salvage title?? Very lucky guy in this accident,but his life was a shambles anyways.:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts