Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried the Feynlab self healing coating? I am thinking about getting a paint correction and ceramic coating and am wondering which is the best one to go with.

Thanks,
Charley

·
Super Moderator
6,031 Posts
I have used all the coatings, Cquartz, Opti-Coat, Ceramic Pro but two months ago my detailer told me about the newest one, Feynlab, so I had him do it. So far it seems better than any of the ones I used in the past. Color really pops and car is so easy to wash

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueCarCare/videos/10159912492700171/

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I have not used the self-healing product - it was and still is out of stock here in the UK.

I used the FeynLab Wheel and Calliper ceramic coating and it looks like a good product. It was also easy to apply and remove - I think the difficulty in applying these ceramic products is over-stated.
feyn labs.jpg

·
Registered
567 Posts
Interesting product, from what I've read on it. I stuck with my go to, CP coating and SunTek self healing PPF. I really love all these coatings though, vastly superior to the old days of waxing and clay bars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been researching ceramic coatings more for my daily driver than my R8. From what I've found, these products don't protect against road debris like rock chips. The ceramic coatings will last longer and make it easier to clean the car; but so will two coats of a good polymer sealant. My detailer requires an annual "touch-up" for the 5 year warranty on their ceramic coating. The touch up is really a coat of polymer sealant on top of the ceramic coating. That said, I'm not seeing the benefit of the ceramic coating versus having the car detailed 2-3 times a year with a fresh application of polymer sealant. Since my DD is black, at least they can polish out the surface scratches during the detailing. With a ceramic coating, surface scratches will still appear and machine polishing will remove most ceramic coatings.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had c-quartz finest before I had feynlab put on. Feynlab is definitely better, not to say c-quartz is bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Feynlabs self-healing coating on my TTRS and like it as stated for it's pop. I can say there is not a scratch on the car. In direct sunlight, the coating will self-level so scratches will disappear. My detailer tried 3000 paper on another car and left it in the sun and it all disappeared. I had opticoat on the prior S4 and it very durable but IMO the paint doesn't pop.

Feynlabs is reportedly the originator and was always a supplier for all the others, ultimately with the self-healing they decided to enter the sales market. Now many of the other companies are producing thier own products.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My GT is getting the Feynlab Heal Lite applied this week after a full paint correction. Christopher at OCDCarCare Los Angeles has been working on it since Monday. I get it back tomorrow and will post pics and let you know my impressions. My dually is C Quartzed and I thought it was ok. Both are metallic or pearl black finishes so we'll see. . .

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My GT is getting the Feynlab Heal Lite applied this week after a full paint correction. Chris at OCD Car Care has been working on it since Monday. I get it back tomorrow and will post pics and let you know my impressions. My dually is C Quartzed and I thought it was ok. Both are metallic or pearl black finishes so we'll see. . .
Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Charley

·
Registered
154 Posts
Picked up the car after 5 straight days in the shop and I have to say, it looks the best it ever has, by a large, large margin. I did not think the quality of the finish would match that of our Ferrari but I was wrong. In terms of appearance, I can't quite believe it. So now I'll live with it for a while and report back on durability etc. . . IMG_0270 (1).jpg IMG_0275 (1).jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0272 (1).jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
So far it's holding up really well. Car stays clean and dust etc blows right off it. . .Washing it, according to instruction, it a snap.

fullsizeoutput_27d2.jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
fullsizeoutput_27e5.jpg Final update. I HIGHLY recommend the product. I picked up some small swirls where someone leaned against my fender. Parked the car in hot sun for two days, swirls gone. When I wash it now, I use a leaf blower to blow the excess water off, only, it blows ALL of the water off. The hood panel never needs a towel, nor the doors. A full wash (I use a soap gun) and dry takes me less than 15 minutes. It's remarkable how water just doesn't adhere.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Haven't tried the Feynlab self healing coating, but I used their wheel & caliper coating, and it doesn't really make much of a difference. I daily drive my car, and it held up for maybe 1-2 months tops. After that, wheels weren't even beading up when you wash them/when wet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't speak for the caliper coating. My calipers have been etched a little which is something I'll have to address when I have time to pull y wheels off. The results on the paint however remain optimal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Deep into the rainy season here and the water still glides off. I wash it myself and use a leaf blower to dry it. I can do the entire car in 20 minutes easy and a single hand towel is all I need to get whatever doesn't blow right off the car. By comparison, our uncoated Ferrari takes me almost an hour thanks to soft paint and no coating. It's the best coating I've ever seen or used, by far, including C Quartz which in my opinion, isn't even in the same galaxy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the update! Your timing is perfect, because I have been thinking of doing this soon.

Charley

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rule12b - Looking at you pic it doesn't look like the two buttresses on your top have the wrinkles mine do. Mine's a 2014 with two previous owners. I'm wondering if they left the top down a lot. Is yours wrinkle free or do you do something to keep it tight looking? Have thought of putting some steam to my creases to see if they come out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rule12b - Looking at you pic it doesn't look like the two buttresses on your top have the wrinkles mine do. Mine's a 2014 with two previous owners. I'm wondering if they left the top down a lot. Is yours wrinkle free or do you do something to keep it tight looking? Have thought of putting some steam to my creases to see if they come out.
I have a few wrinkles to be sure. I was a little annoyed that the showroom where I found it with 4k miles on it had probably had it in there with the top down for months. Nevertheless, I use my foam cannon and a gentle brush now and again to keep it as nice as possible. My detailer at OCDCarCareLosAngeles really has a knack for keeping it looking perfect but for the life of me, I forgot what he did at the time. You can try the steam. If it works I'd like to know. My wrinkles are more like slight styrations of the black color.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts