Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like it!!!!! Sending this straight off to DH who is lusting after one!:D

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Trick the DH and put some V10 stickers on yours.:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Makes me even happier to have the V8 :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Initially I felt the same way about the V8.

After driven the v10 for an hour or 2 around Silverstone, there is no comparison.

Power and smoothness is incredibly better then the V8 but V8 wins on sound.

Still reckon 2nd gear in R-tronic at redline in the V10 is one of the most frightening experiences I have had in a car in a long time.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Initially I felt the same way about the V8.

After driven the v10 for an hour or 2 around Silverstone, there is no comparison.

Power and smoothness is incredibly better then the V8 but V8 wins on sound.

Still reckon 2nd gear in R-tronic at redline in the V10 is one of the most frightening experiences I have had in a car in a long time.
Interesting. A few others have commented that the V8 sounds better. Why would that be? It seems like a V10 @ 8500 rpm would sound pretty amazing. Is there something about the firing order of the V10 that is less satisfying, or there just more sound dampening in the V10?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few others have commented that the V8 sounds better. Why would that be?
it's a personal thing as they inherently sound different. I prefer v8's over v10's for engine note too, the r8 is no different.

I'm a fan of the audi 5 cylinder engine note too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I need to drive it. That extra 100+ horse would be nice. I.E. My M6. It's good to know very few cars out there can challenge you. Third gear and gone! Could the R8 V10 + Quattro be first gear and gone? So back to the old question of V10 upgrade or V8 with SC mod?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I need to drive it. That extra 100+ horse would be nice. I.E. My M6. It's good to know very few cars out there can challenge you. Third gear and gone! Could the R8 V10 + Quattro be first gear and gone? So back to the old question of V10 upgrade or V8 with SC mod?
At silverstone on the skid pan, the instructor says that when you floor it in first, the computer kicks in and holds everyhting back.

Its true, when I floored it in first not much happens at all. Feels like my instructions from the floor arent making it to the engine.

Only when you flick the paddle to hit second all hell breaks loose -- holy Jesus.... a new set of pants are needed -- the acceleration in 2nd from 5000-8500 rpm is truly frightening if you arent expecting it.

Somehow with the 6speed hitting second wouldnt come as great a shock at full throttle.

Make no mistake whatever distance you are behind the other in guy in first, once you hit 2nd past 4500-5000 its adios amigos .....

The V10 is an absolute weapon. :D :p

-- Munky

·
Registered
137 Posts
At silverstone on the skid pan, the instructor says that when you floor it in first, the computer kicks in and holds everyhting back.

Its true, when I floored it in first not much happens at all. Feels like my instructions from the floor arent making it to the engine.

Only when you flick the paddle to hit second all hell breaks loose -- holy Jesus.... a new set of pants are needed -- the acceleration in 2nd from 5000-8500 rpm is truly frightening if you arent expecting it.

Somehow with the 6speed hitting second wouldnt come as great a shock at full throttle.

Make no mistake whatever distance you are behind the other in guy in first, once you hit 2nd past 4500-5000 its adios amigos .....

The V10 is an absolute weapon. :D :p

-- Munky
Yep, you just described the M6 V10. You punch it from a start and nothing happens. You floor it from a dead start and it tells you wait a second, let me think about that. It's first gear lag. I even say "please" sometimes and still no response.

I believe it's a 30/40 MPH rolling start. The R8 pulls away easily and then the Beast kicks in. If they ran the races from dead start, the M6 would have a much larger gap to close. Some say(Mercedes forums) that's the reason why they run with rolling starts on these M5board videos. M5/M6 are terrible in the low end. The R8 even has problems running away from the E92 M3 in the high end.

Watch the second run with the M3. Third gear and look out here he comes. That's a true manual. DCT gearbox is faster. No SMG lag there. But remember thats a straight line. R8 V8 would have the edge on the track for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The R8 pulls away easily and then the Beast kicks in. If they ran the races from dead start, the M6 would have a much larger gap to close. Some say(Mercedes forums) that's the reason why they run with rolling starts on these M5board videos. M5/M6 are terrible in the low end.
sounds like people looking for excuses.

the m6 and v8 r8 have very similar real world 0-60 times in the low 4's and only a fool would bet against an m6 from a roll with like-for-like driver ability.

·
Registered
137 Posts
sounds like people looking for excuses.

the m6 and v8 r8 have very similar real world 0-60 times in the low 4's and only a fool would bet against an m6 from a roll with like-for-like driver ability.
I feel much quicker in R8 than in M6. M6 0-60 is 4.6 secs. What do they say R8 is 4.4? Due to the hesitation in my M6 at start I know my R8 is more than .2 seconds faster in the 0-60. I've brought the M6 in for service more than once because of this agonizing hesitation. Thinking it was software problems.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't say I had that problem in my m6 and seen magazines clock 0-60's in both in the low 4's. If the r8 feels faster than the m6 from a roll then it really does sound like you had problems.

the r8 is a faster point to point car on twisty roads, but the m6 has it beat for drags of any real length.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wouldn't V8 SC mod. Engine cooling problem will most likely be a problem. Go for the V10 and save yourself the headache. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't V8 SC mod. Engine cooling problem will most likely be a problem. Go for the V10 and save yourself the headache. ;)
Why do you think so? Don't you think that would be a big problem for companies like VF. I would think they would have the details worked out. Or are you suggesting first few would be guinea pigs? Nothing on VF site for R8, but I was told it's in development. Do you know of any SC kits out for R8 now? I thought I saw one listed for $38K somewhere.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Why do you think so? Don't you think that would be a big problem for companies like VF. I would think they would have the details worked out. Or are you suggesting first few would be guinea pigs? Nothing on VF site for R8, but I was told it's in development. Do you know of any SC kits out for R8 now? I thought I saw one listed for $38K somewhere.
I am not a big fan of heavy mods. My buddy has HPF SC kit installed on his M3 and it's been at the shop several times; engine cooling issues. Maybe it's an isolated problem. :confused:

I think I saw a PPI SC kit at ~40K on OEMPLUS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you look at supercharged factory engines like the Corvette ZR1 you'll see massive internal engine strengthening and extensive cooling and lubrication upgrades. Aftermarket superchargers that bolt on are good for a "squirt" now and then, but will grenade your expensive engine sooner or later.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am not a big fan of heavy mods. My buddy has HPF SC kit installed on his M3 and it's been at the shop several times; engine cooling issues. Maybe it's an isolated problem. :confused:

I think I saw a PPI SC kit at ~40K on OEMPLUS.
Yes, It had to be PPI. PPI products are so expensive! Isn't funny how they price mods according to the price of the car.

If you look at supercharged factory engines like the Corvette ZR1 you'll see massive internal engine strengthening and extensive cooling and lubrication upgrades. Aftermarket superchargers that bolt on are good for a "squirt" now and then, but will grenade your expensive engine sooner or later.
So we have two votes no. I guess I need to do more research on the SC. And pricing on the V10:)

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
You can get the MTM for $39k, http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_62_127&products_id=921
But have seem many problems over the years with these types of mods. The R8 will be a very expensive to work on and something unrelated to the SC could have a problem and Audi could say you voided your warranty because of someone putting it in. Also by the time you figure in another $6k+ for installation you might as well just get the V10

1 - 20 of 23 Posts