Audi R8 Forums banner
221 - 240 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Yes correct no issues only issue we had was with backup camera on manual 2014-2015 and thanks to rnlabas we figured it out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a way to remove the unit after installing? Worried about if something goes wrong with the unit. I don’t see any holes to insert removal keys like the stock head unit.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
It just snaps in with no DIN pins - easily worked out enough to pull with plastic spatulas ...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Hey Alex - I was just reading on 'the other Gen 1 head unit replacement" thread and read the comments about the OBD II info being made available to the 'MMI replacement', particularly tire pressures. As these cars have the sensors it would seem to me to be able to 'read' them and display discreet tire pressure/temperature data here as well - a boon to most of us. So, just wondering if that might be a future coding app that could work itself into the unit ...?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Right, here’s the latest demo and it’s nearly ready for use at least in beta form.
Excuse the long boot up, it was a cold boot on the bench. Also in order to not spend ages coding my own, I have utilised the app drawer from the original launcher, so the more apps button takes you to that instead, which to be honest works ok, I will probably code my own to match the rest of the app eventually but for now this is ok. As mentioned, all apps on the Home Screen and main app screen are hard coded for my use, making it variable or changeable would have meant a lot more development and taken a lot longer, but as I am primarily writing this for me, I was ok with this, especially as I’ll be in CarPlay most of the time. I’ve fixed the double tap issue now, and everything is done except the time and date which I need to work on.

I’ve decided that I will be offering this to anyone who wants it, at no cost, but with the caveat that it is what it is, I make no promises about development and you need to be happy with the preset app links on the various screens. The only thing I can easily change is which navigation app is launched from the Home Screen but I would have to do that on a case by case basis.
I’m looking for 1 uk based person to test it for me on their system and let me know how it works for them. Pm me if interested.

for now here’s a working demo on the bench. I haven’t even installed this in my own car yet!

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
WOW ! - Now how do normal folks like some of us (especially NON-Android folks) upload this front end - and even can we? I would LOVE to have it -

·
Registered
122 Posts
WOW ! - Now how do normal folks like some of us (especially NON-Android folks) upload this front end - and even can we? I would LOVE to have it -
Yes it will just be a normal app install, either via USB or via some other way of getting it to your device (google drive or something like that). I can't make it available in the App Store as you have to go through a whole process to do that and I don't think I should given there are some proprietary Audi graphics etc, but I will just make it available as a download when I'm ready to do so and the major bugs are ironed out

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Sounds great - I'm just about holding my breath ;-)

thanks !!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks very good if you can make the audi rings a bit more 3d will look perfect
I've been trying but I can't find a good graphic of the rings suitable for use without it looking terrible, so need to keep looking for that, but that's an easy change once I find one

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
153 Posts
Perfect!

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
While I personally like the 3D rings (and they were a part of Audi's CI when these cars were built), they are no longer a part of Audi CI specs. They have decided that simpler is better, and that the simple rings are 'now universally recognizable for the brand.'

The latest iterations use a sort of reverse sweeping effect where an image is within the ring outlines and dynamically swept across leaving just a solid white set of rings, on a black background... still accompanied by the 'heartbeat' audio.

221 - 240 of 357 Posts