Audi R8 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
While I personally like the 3D rings (and they were a part of Audi's CI when these cars were built), they are no longer a part of Audi CI specs. They have decided that simpler is better, and that the simple rings are 'now universally recognizable for the brand.'

The latest iterations use a sort of reverse sweeping effect where an image is within the ring outlines and dynamically swept across leaving just a solid white set of rings, on a black background... still accompanied by the 'heartbeat' audio.
Are you expecting me to code that?! People seem to have high expectations if something I’m just giving away, not sure I should even bother!

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
HELL NO !! I was just throwing out info - I wouldn't even WANT that - I like what you got just fine - it is great work - and easy to defend for the application - AND I'm willing to pay you something for it too ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok I Just misread it then.
And no I’m not going to charge for it. Maybe one day if I develop it more to be customisable etc, then I’d consider it but for now it’s been written for me and if anyone else can or wants to use it then there’s no point in me making a few pounds on it, I don’t like making money off the communities and forums I’m in

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Shoot, I'm SO grateful I'll chip in right now - tell me where/how (PayPal for example) to send a donation up front -

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lol no! But seeing as no one answered my request for a being a tester in the uk, you can be my first tester if you want! I’m a little busy now but if you want to let me know and I’ll work out how the best way to distribute it will be and write up some instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Well then perhaps you would/could consider the donation to 'fuel' your efforts, say through the purchase of a few pints or a nice bottle of wine of your choice ... ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I'm in to be your beta tester as long as I can't possibly kill my unit ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Right, final demo for now, in car, fully working, ignore the screen taps on Waze that didn’t work, I hadn’t installed the app yet. It’s being tested by someone right now but soon I will make it available for others to test and use

·
Registered
94 Posts
Right, final demo for now, in car, fully working, ignore the screen taps on Waze that didn’t work, I hadn’t installed the app yet. It’s being tested by someone right now but soon I will make it available for others to test and use

4 quick questions, please (and apologies if already covered previously and I missed it):

1. Does the physical 'Nav' button take you to your app of choice (e.g. Waze)?

2. Did you already have an OEM reversing camera (and wiring) in place, that you reused to some extent, or did you fit everything completely new from scratch?

3. Do all your steering wheel controls work OK (volume, next track, even the voice control button to maybe hand-off to Siri/Google)?

4. Does your fellow tester have an Android or Apple phone (i.e. will they be able to test how your adaptations work with wired/wireless Android Auto, if relevant)?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
4 quick questions, please (and apologies if already covered previously and I missed it):

1. Does the physical 'Nav' button take you to your app of choice (e.g. Waze)?

2. Did you already have an OEM reversing camera (and wiring) in place, that you reused to some extent, or did you fit everything completely new from scratch?

3. Do all your steering wheel controls work OK (volume, next track, even the voice control button to maybe hand-off to Siri/Google)?

4. Does your fellow tester have an Android or Apple phone (i.e. will they be able to test how your adaptations work with wired/wireless Android Auto, if relevant)?

Many thanks!
1. The physical Nav button can be and always has been able to be configured via the system settings in the head unit, my front end doesn't change that. The nav button on my front screen is hardcoded by me - it's currently set to Waze. I previously said that I made this app primarily for my own use but making it available for people to have a nicer option if they want it. So I'm not going to spend much time on making the app customisable because I don't really need to for my own uses. That being said, it's relatively easy for me to change the app that launches on that button on the screen, so I would consider changing and rebuilding a new app for different options, e.g. a Waze version or a Google Maps version etc, because there are not that many navigation software types out there so it wouldn't be a huge ask to do that.

2. Yes already had OEM - Camera adapter is included in the package to run to behind the seats and connects to the OEM camera. The new system overlays the guide lines but they don't move via steering input (I don't think)

3. Yes all works fine, I only briefly tried the voice control but I think it launches whatever voice control is part of the Android base system, not yet sure if there is a way to have it work on Carplay/Android Auto, but that's outside of the realms of what I can control either way

4. No idea what type of phone they use but to stress again, my app is purely a front end, it changes nothing with how the system works, if it worked before, it will work now, it's just a launcher for apps that looks more suited to the car, that's all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1. The physical Nav button can be and always has been able to be configured via the system settings in the head unit, my front end doesn't change that. The nav button on my front screen is hardcoded by me - it's currently set to Waze. I previously said that I made this app primarily for my own use but making it available for people to have a nicer option if they want it. So I'm not going to spend much time on making the app customisable because I don't really need to for my own uses. That being said, it's relatively easy for me to change the app that launches on that button on the screen, so I would consider changing and rebuilding a new app for different options, e.g. a Waze version or a Google Maps version etc, because there are not that many navigation software types out there so it wouldn't be a huge ask to do that.

2. Yes already had OEM - Camera adapter is included in the package to run to behind the seats and connects to the OEM camera. The new system overlays the guide lines but they don't move via steering input (I don't think)

3. Yes all works fine, I only briefly tried the voice control but I think it launches whatever voice control is part of the Android base system, not yet sure if there is a way to have it work on Carplay/Android Auto, but that's outside of the realms of what I can control either way

4. No idea what type of phone they use but to stress again, my app is purely a front end, it changes nothing with how the system works, if it worked before, it will work now, it's just a launcher for apps that looks more suited to the car, that's all.
Thank you

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do the parking sensors function?

Thank you for your efforts.
Yes as normal, you can just about see the parking sensor graphic when I put it into reverse, and hear the beeping of course. As I say, nothing about the way the android unit works is affected by my app, so if it's part of what the android unit can offer as standard, then it's still the same with my app

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, they do on mine, I assumed they were all the same. I know there were some early versions of the head units that maybe had different features but works for me

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
To be clear, the parking sensors function and provide their usual and normal AUDIO output, BUT the visual graphics that are a part of the video processing module (which is bypassed with this install) does NOT function on this unit - yet. There may be an effort to code this in the future, but frankly I suppose that is NO small task really and not likely to come soon ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
To be clear, the parking sensors function and provide their usual and normal AUDIO output, BUT the visual graphics that are a part of the video processing module (which is bypassed with this install) does NOT function on this unit - yet. There may be an effort to code this in the future, but frankly I suppose that is NO small task really and not likely to come soon ...
Incorrect, graphics work fine on mine, the ones that indicate which sensors are closest etc

241 - 260 of 357 Posts