Audi R8 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it still possible to get these plug and play units? Possibly a question for lex99frc(?). I just signed up on the forum and won’t let me PM anyone yet.
I just locked in a deal on a new 2014 R8 and closing on it later this week when I’m back in town. It’s basically new with very low miles so super excited to be joining your ranks. That said, it’s electronics are original and this is likely an upgrade that looks stock but has a ton of functionality and Plug and play seems very attractive.

How do they sound? Any issues with them at this point? How do I get one…?? Would have PM’d but alas, I’m new and won’t let me to keep the riff raff out so get it. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Oopsie - then @lex99frc : Please find/explain why this graphic is missing from mine/ours or how to revise the settings to show it...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Is it still possible to get these plug and play units? Possibly a question for lex99frc(?). I just signed up on the forum and won’t let me PM anyone yet.
I just locked in a deal on a new 2014 R8 and closing on it later this week when I’m back in town. It’s basically new with very low miles so super excited to be joining your ranks. That said, it’s electronics are original and this is likely an upgrade that looks stock but has a ton of functionality and Plug and play seems very attractive.

How do they sound? Any issues with them at this point? How do I get one…?? Would have PM’d but alas, I’m new and won’t let me to keep the riff raff out so get it. Thanks in advance!!
Don't worry - the OP :lex99rfc will get a hold of you - he's great at service btw ... and this unit IS pretty cool indeed...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I’ve freeze framed my video just during the transition back from reverse to Home Screen, you can clearly see it
View attachment 266288
Perhaps you can document your settings where this may make sense for me to copy and see if I can get it to come up for me too. Must be there somewhere - did you have to run a separate trigger wire for reverse, or did it work as it came?

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Then I'll have to wait for Alex to respond with a solution I guess...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’ll speak to the manufacturer too but Unless it’s a software update im not sure what else can be done without buying a new unit. If you can take a picture of your settings screen in the settings screen then I can compare to mine

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Obviously this is the new version recently revised In July by the manufacturer
Could you check your system info and compare to this :

Output device Gadget Font Audio equipment Display device

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Here's more ...

Automotive design Car Steering wheel Personal luxury car Gadget

Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Personal luxury car Font

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Do you think that is something that can be user-updated ??

·
Registered
122 Posts
In theory I don’t see why not, but in reality I know the end user doesn’t have write access to the root of the device so for example you can’t uninstall the built in apps. It’s up to the manufacturer to provide the update in a format that you could apply. I couldn’t say if they would do that or not to be honest

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also just because the only difference is the app version, which id expect would be the reason, it doesn’t mean that the hardware itself isn’t different and has different hardware for decoding the canbus signals for example. I’m just speculating as I can’t check that

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 6MT
49 Posts
I’m using an aftermarket camera and the head unit has overplayed the guidelines and they move with steering angle so assume it is possible even if you end up bypassing the original control unit

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 6MT
49 Posts
I’ve been testing the new interface. It looks absolutely brilliant and works very well. There was one thing to work around to get it to boot straight into the new launcher. Disable the original launcher in settings and then reboot the system.

Great job Technoholic.

My dilemma now is whether to turn off car play and just let the headunit hotspot from the phone and just utilise it via the apps for a really factory feel

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I am jealous and want to try it asap - does your dilemma mean that it will hotspot right into Carplay on boot? That'd be kinda cool - my C8 AR does that too ... and even the TT if it's plugged in (no wireless on the 8S).

·
Registered
2010 R8 V10 6MT
49 Posts
I am jealous and want to try it asap - does your dilemma mean that it will hotspot right into Carplay on boot? That'd be kinda cool - my C8 AR does that too ... and even the TT if it's plugged in (no wireless on the 8S).

It launches into CarPlay automatically after a few seconds and that means that you can’t let the head unit hotspot off your phone anymore. Car play all works perfectly but the apps in the new interface then don’t connect. I.e. you press Nav and it will open Waze but tell you you aren’t connected to the internet.

This is the same as before but then I didn’t want to be using the UI, now it looks factory. Option is to disable car play and just allow the head unit to connect to the internet through the phone and use the apps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It does appear that if you use your phone as a hotspot for your head unit, then Carplay won't work but this is nothing to do with the new interface, this is just the way that CarPlay needs the wifi connection to be used for it's own connection, it would have been the same before the new interface. I could have sworn that this wasn't the case, but I've tested it today and it does seem to be the case.

For me, I designed the interface primarily as a way to have it look better, I will very rarely use the apps built in to android, i.e. google maps and Waze etc, I'll most likely be using all those through CarPlay, so for me, the benefit is that I get a better interface that I could use for apps if I didn't want to use CarPlay, but really for me it just makes the unit feel a bit more OEM before launching CarPlay, or when I need to access the system for settings etc.

I'm nearly ready for people to start using it if they want, @GT1 put up some pics and vids if you want to

·
Registered
122 Posts
It will launch into the last used app I believe, this is part of the android system that the manufacturer has designed, I can't override that without root access and I don't have root access yet, I'm still working on it. So if CP was the last app you used, it should launch straight into it, if it was Radio or phone, that will probably load instead first

261 - 280 of 357 Posts