Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

Registered
I admit it鈥檚 neat but the R8 interior is dated by the design of the standard headunit imho and looks all the better for removing the buttons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you buy the CF interior piece馃

Registered
2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Also following along! Came across this by chance little over a week ago when looking for a solution - quite eager to see if anyone鈥檚 made a success of it!

Registered
Do you have DAB on that one? Do you have to install an aerial somewhere on the glass?

Where did you get your fascia, I'm a fan of the slot at the bottom... edit: custom job, nice work! :)

(follow you on insta btw! lovely build)
HI The Facia can be ordered through Audi they ship from Japan, LHD & RHD. RHD Part Number is J42AE2C14 "Garnish" costs $300NZ!

Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
I got a CarPlay adapter for my 2013 S7. It鈥檚 not as good as a new/dedicated CarPlay system, but it鈥檚 a tremendous improvement over the stock system. I prefer the OEM look and keeping all of the integrated functions.

Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
According to their latest youtube video, the part number for the conversion kit should be CP3-AUDI-RNSE . It says "More info: https://www.navinc.nl " but I didn't find any more info on the site.

What is not clear to me is if this solution only works with the older RNS-E 192 Mark 1 shown in the video (2008-2009 R8s) or the newer RSN-E 193 Mark 2 (2010-2015 R8s.)

Registered
2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder
According to their latest youtube video, the part number for the conversion kit should be CP3-AUDI-RNSE . It says "More info: https://www.navinc.nl " but I didn't find any more info on the site.

What is not clear to me is if this solution only works with the older RNS-E 192 Mark 1 shown in the video (2008-2009 R8s) or the newer RSN-E 193 Mark 2 (2010-2015 R8s.)

According to this greek supplier of NavINC's product, second tab "compatibility", the R8 Gen 1 is listed. Also has a list of features and restrictions by model... Gelisound - 韦伪 蟺维谓蟿伪 蟽蟿慰 car audio!

Registered
Dude! This may actually work! I'm gonna see if I can email them to confirm, cuz if so, I'm gonna bite the bullet and try this out.

Hopefully they understand English...

Registered
Update: They speak English :) Called them. He said he needs a photo of my headunit to confirm, and confirm what unit to buy. So I'll let you guys know how this goes!

Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
The Greek website is showing both v192 RSN-E (no media button) and v193 (with media button.)

I wonder what 鈥渙ptional wireless Airplay鈥 means? Maybe a different hardware version? I鈥檇 definitely want wireless AirPlay.

Registered
Optional wireless Airplay typically refers to CarPlay that is activated via Bluetooth, and not via hardwire (don't need to plug in your phone to enable CarPlay). I guess to each his own; I prefer wired. But I'll ask them about that option as well.

Registered
Yes Bovee is well known on this forum. I tried it (the Tune2Air brand: https://smile.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Car-Kit-AUDI/dp/B00R2HZ1XU) and hated the horrible audio quality as compared to a wired connection via the MMI port.

I spoke with Gelisound. They confirmed the Carplay adapter will work with my 2012 GT (OEM headunit with 2 SD card slots when you drop the screen). But it will also require a Video-in-Motion adapter for the install.

Apparently the install is quite lengthy and involved, so he stressed you need a very experienced installer for this.

A few things:
  • You can't use the radio function via CarPlay. So if you want to use the headunit radio, you have to exit CarPlay. And then re-engage CarPlay when you're done with the radio
  • CarPlay will accept and work with an OEM backup camera retrofit (this is the one I have but have yet to install: Genuine Rear Camera, Supply and Fit Audi R8, 4S)
  • CarPlay will work via a wired and wireless connection

That's the extent of what I could figure out. His English is very limited. Despite this, I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the setup, install it, and if we can get it working, ask my installer (high end shop) to see if he can document the install process to help others.

Registered
2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder
That would be absolutely amazing man! I鈥檓 based in Dubai so finding an installer who can manage this may be tough - so any notes or advice would be much appreciated!

Just to clarify - it should work if the reverse camera was installed from factory? Or requires the retrofit?

Cheers, Alex

Registered
Yeah definitely following this, I don鈥檛 like how aftermarket units look. Looks like it comes with a touch screen adapter but not the touchscreen, they have a lot of touchscreens wonder if they have one that will work. Have they said anything about steering wheel controls? If they don鈥檛 work that would be a dealbreaker for me

Registered
Yes Bovee is well known on this forum. I tried it (the Tune2Air brand: https://smile.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Car-Kit-AUDI/dp/B00R2HZ1XU) and hated the horrible audio quality as compared to a wired connection via the MMI port.

I spoke with Gelisound. They confirmed the Carplay adapter will work with my 2012 GT (OEM headunit with 2 SD card slots when you drop the screen). But it will also require a Video-in-Motion adapter for the install.

Apparently the install is quite lengthy and involved, so he stressed you need a very experienced installer for this.

A few things:
  • You can't use the radio function via CarPlay. So if you want to use the headunit radio, you have to exit CarPlay. And then re-engage CarPlay when you're done with the radio
  • CarPlay will accept and work with an OEM backup camera retrofit (this is the one I have but have yet to install: Genuine Rear Camera, Supply and Fit Audi R8, 4S)
  • CarPlay will work via a wired and wireless connection

That's the extent of what I could figure out. His English is very limited. Despite this, I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the setup, install it, and if we can get it working, ask my installer (high end shop) to see if he can document the install process to help others.
if your installer can document it that would be gold dust on here as well as for the installer鈥檚 customers, if there are other R8 owners local to them!

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
I will keep everyone updated and it will retain factory buttons to use car play no adding touch screen in my experience added touch screens suck

21 - 40 of 79 Posts