Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder
12 Posts
Yeah I believe it uses the factory controls. My concern is the only video I could find online with the R8 head-unit had an additional control dial fitted - which would ruin it for me... But the description suggests it should work with standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It will be all factory my unit hasn’t arrived yet but I will start a new project In a few weeks I will replace the oem screen with a higher resolution bigger screen 7-8 inch also I will add touch screen and I will have it where the original navigation functions will still be there so you will not loose anything

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder
12 Posts
It will be all factory my unit hasn’t arrived yet but I will start a new project In a few weeks I will replace the oem screen with a higher resolution bigger screen 7-8 inch also I will add touch screen and I will have it where the original navigation functions will still be there so you will not loose anything
Awesome man - some notes would be fantastic if you get chance, even if brief! Thanks for keeping us posted

·
Registered
811 Posts
Are you saying you're upgrading the screen to the OEM headunit (larger and touchscreen), but still keeping the rest of the headunit, so all the functions & controls are the same?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
This is DEFINITELY worth a detailed write-up ... thanks !!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I must not be that into the stereo thing. I stream my phone to the factory radio and have Android Auto on the phone. The steering wheel controls work as they should. I am able to make hands-free calls, respond to texts, use modern GPS, play Amazon music, Pandora, etc... I throw the phone onto a mount and off I go. Isn't this the same thing without the hassle of tearing out the radio? I am not trying to be dismissive of anyone's own taste, I encourage customization. I just feel like I must be missing something because I feel like I have all of the features with the phone, streaming to my 2011 R8, that I have with my brand new cars that have the integrated systems. Someone please educate me!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Only thing I want is car play I hate having phone mounts but I want car play I. Good quality not like our factory screens that are really low resolution

·
Registered
811 Posts
Same here. My #1 request is, I'd like to be able to have Waze running on the car screen, so I'm aware of traffic (and more importantly cops) while using my phone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok put a car play radio in a friends truck earlier and got me thinking I really want car play in my r8 I was looking into other options and came across this guy putting a unit in his gallardo
looked at the website it’s a really cool unit, they don’t make one for the r8 but they have a lot of Audi radios I’m wondering if I could get the one they have for either the a4 or a5 to work? Audi A4/S4/RS4(B8) 2008-2016 Aftremarket Navigation Head Unit

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ok put a car play radio in a friends truck earlier and got me thinking I really want car play in my r8 I was looking into other options and came across this guy putting a unit in his gallardo
looked at the website it’s a really cool unit, they don’t make one for the r8 but they have a lot of Audi radios I’m wondering if I could get the one they have for either the a4 or a5 to work? Audi A4/S4/RS4(B8) 2008-2016 Aftremarket Navigation Head Unit
Something like that would be awesome for our car. Just remove the old unit and plug in the new one with all the old button functions as well as a touchscreen.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
102 Posts
Any update on getting the NavInc CarPlay adapter working with the original RNS-E head unit?

Reactions: StephenFenn

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
102 Posts
So you added a bigger screen (with digitizer for touch) to your original RNS-E head unit? Please post a picture!

Can you give info on the parts/suppliers you used?

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
102 Posts
Does anyone have an update on this conversion?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts