Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yea..I was about to pull the trigger and purchase it, but deferred when lex99frc said he was gonna go forward with it...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I am still trying to work it out seems these units don’t work with r8 because we have Oem backup camera once it’s all functions I will update

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It doesn’t work on a headunit that has factory backup camera at all I’m working on making it work if not I’ll sell it you 😂

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
I spoke with Gelisound. They confirmed the Carplay adapter will work with my 2012 GT (OEM headunit with 2 SD card slots when you drop the screen). But it will also require a Video-in-Motion adapter for the install.

Apparently the install is quite lengthy and involved, so he stressed you need a very experienced installer for this.

A few things:
  • You can't use the radio function via CarPlay. So if you want to use the headunit radio, you have to exit CarPlay. And then re-engage CarPlay when you're done with the radio
  • CarPlay will accept and work with an OEM backup camera retrofit (this is the one I have but have yet to install: Genuine Rear Camera, Supply and Fit Audi R8, 4S)
  • CarPlay will work via a wired and wireless connection

That's the extent of what I could figure out. His English is very limited. Despite this, I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the setup, install it, and if we can get it working, ask my installer (high end shop) to see if he can document the install process to help others.
Based on my headunit (2012 GT) and OEM rear camera (from Hazzydayz, see link above), these were the 2 units he advised me that I need:

Main Carplay unit: Gelisound - Τα πάντα στο car audio!

Video in Motion adapter: Gelisound - Τα πάντα στο car audio!

Lex99frc, did you purchase the video in motion adapter as well? Cuz if not, that may be your problem...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Thanks FD. It looks like the main carplay unit comes packaged with the AV Interface for the video input.

Looking forward to your install. Good luck and please post videos and instructions when available. Cheers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I got all 3 the car play , video in motion, and video adapter and it doesn’t work barely any support so far it’s 750 I waisted

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Apparently if you look at other video input modules when u run a backup camera they connect to the camera module instead of the headunit

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks FD. It looks like the main carplay unit comes packaged with the AV Interface for the video input.

Looking forward to your install. Good luck and please post videos and instructions when available. Cheers.
NP. But I'm holding tight to see how Lex's install goes

I got all 3 the car play , video in motion, and video adapter and it doesn’t work barely any support so far it’s 750 I waisted
Did you reach out to them for any help? Did the unit come with instructions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yeah they don’t sell direct they told me to contact who is their authorized seller who sold it to me and he is useless so far

so I ordered pins and will try to wire it directly to backup camera module if that works I’ll keep you updated

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Lex, is it just the backup camera that's not working? Is the carplay integration working with the head unit? Can the head unit knob control and select the carplay functions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No the backup camera works the module doesn’t switch video to car play everything powers on I believe like I said I have to do video input at the backup camera module instead of the rns

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Lex, I had a similar set up in my V8 using an aftermarket AV interface for video input to mirror my phone on the RNSE screen. It didn't have Carplay but it worked to mirror everything on my phone so I could use Waze.

To switch the default RNSE screen to the AV interface screen, I needed to press and hold the MODE button on the steering wheel for about 2 seconds to switch the screen input. Yours might work in a similar way.

Does it say anywhere in your instruction manual about switching or activating the Carplay interface? Try pressing and holding the MODE button on the steering or the knob on the RNSE for a few seconds and see if anything happens?

Another thing to try is to press the MEDIA button on the RNSE and see if there's an option to change input from there. This is usually to select the AMI input but worth checking the menu to see if there's an option to select your Carplay interface.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The way these things work is they emulate a tv tuner so when they plug in they send a signal over can to the headunit that a tv tuner is activated then when you go to media you should have a thing that says tv but mine isn’t doing that

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Since your interface selection is via the Media button, did you code your head unit with Vagcom that a "TV Tuner" is installed? Without coding, the TV Input option won't appear in the menu when you press the Media button even if the signal is detected over the CAN. New modules need to be manually coded into the head unit.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Nice, good luck with the install. 👍🏻

61 - 79 of 79 Posts