Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Audi R8
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a chance to test my custom valved exhaust made by Garage Auto Sports in Newmarket Ontario for my 2008 Audi R8 V8. This is a valved stainless steel exhaust system that really opens up the breathing of this high revving V8 engine, creating an exotic F1 sound and pitch allowing for much more performance through airflow improvements and the opportunity for a tune in the future. To say I am happy is an understatement, I could not have imagined how much it would transform the car, and really happy to get the rear buttoned-up together and hear it on the roads. The old exhaust was double the weight of this new custom one as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds amazing! Any reason why you went custom over something like a Topgear Valved Performance exhaust?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds amazing! Any reason why you went custom over something like a Topgear Valved Performance exhaust?
I have the Top Gear system on my R8, and I'm very happy with it. Very well developed system in my opinion.

Buttttttt, not going to speak for OP, but I've gone the custom exhaust route on my M3, and now my STI, and I'll be honest - I'm now a custom only snob. Being able to have complete control over the tone and characteristics is addicting. It's like modding to the next granular level.

Custom is great, IF you know what you're doing and have a vision of what you're trying to achieve. But it requires iteration and testing. And that's annoying on an R8 where half the rear end needs to come apart to install the exhaust. However, custom is cost effective at the price point the majority of the R8's exhausts are at. Top Gear, Rev9 and some others are reasonable, but otherwise the price point explodes pretty quickly to where if you don't mind the work involved, custom is wayyyy cheaper.

I was able to fix the tone of the F80 M3 by going custom, because no company on the market knew how to actually fix it, they only applied the canned tried and true concepts to the crap stock exhaust design and only made it worse. I was able to change the diesel truck exhaust into something more akin to a Skyline RB26 by going custom.

In my STI's case, the price point of STI aftermarket is way too low to find a mass produced system with the features I was looking for. So I went custom again and had a 3 inch valved system made with a hidden dump valve :D It's like nothing else available on the market.

Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Top Gear system on my R8, and I'm very happy with it. Very well developed system in my opinion.

Buttttttt, not going to speak for OP, but I've gone the custom exhaust route on my M3, and now my STI, and I'll be honest - I'm now a custom only snob. Being able to have complete control over the tone and characteristics is addicting. It's like modding to the next granular level.

Custom is great, IF you know what you're doing and have a vision of what you're trying to achieve. But it requires iteration and testing. And that's annoying on an R8 where half the rear end needs to come apart to install the exhaust. However, custom is cost effective at the price point the majority of the R8's exhausts are at. Top Gear, Rev9 and some others are reasonable, but otherwise the price point explodes pretty quickly to where if you don't mind the work involved, custom is wayyyy cheaper.

I was able to fix the tone of the F80 M3 by going custom, because no company on the market knew how to actually fix it, they only applied the canned tried and true concepts to the crap stock exhaust design and only made it worse. I was able to change the diesel truck exhaust into something more akin to a Skyline RB26 by going custom.

In my STI's case, the price point of STI aftermarket is way too low to find a mass produced system with the features I was looking for. So I went custom again and had a 3 inch valved system made with a hidden dump valve :D It's like nothing else available on the market.

Photos attached.
That makes sense and the custom exhaust on your F80 looks beautiful. Any exhaust videos?

·
Registered
2011 V10 Gated, APR Aero,Unitronic Stage 2,IPE Titanium Exhaust,Eurowise CAI, XPEL PPF
85 Posts
That sounds great!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts