Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures to follow in the next day or two. Arrived at the dealer today, will be picking up tomorrow or Wed. If anyone else is expecting one in the US around this time, I imagine yours will be here shortly.

While they are prepping the car, I gotta go prep my garage.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
congrats :)

what spec have you ordered?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You'll have a few sleepless nights Wedouglas :D

I've had notification that mine has finally landed in UK and should be with the dealer by Friday. Arrrrrgh the wait is gonna be agony :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phantom black with lava grey blade, 6 speed, all black interior, all options except the alcantara head liner.

·
Registered
340 Posts
wedouglas - are you leasing or buying? if lease, can you share how much is your monthly payment, numbers of years leased, and cap cost reduction as I am planning to lease mine. I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pictures to follow in the next day or two. Arrived at the dealer today, will be picking up tomorrow or Wed. If anyone else is expecting one in the US around this time, I imagine yours will be here shortly.

Congrats!!

How long did you have to wait? Any truth to the rumor that they have increased production? Or I am just dreaming for my R8 in 2008 :( (Jan 08 deposit)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats!!

How long did you have to wait? Any truth to the rumor that they have increased production? Or I am just dreaming for my R8 in 2008 :( (Jan 08 deposit)
You my be dreaming ;)

I was second at my dealer in MI and I had my deposit down in Dec 06. The first one was delivered Nov 07.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks Great! -- exactly the version I got preowned just last week. Does yours have interior carbon fiber? The dealer told me that the one I bought had an additional 20K of Carbon Fiber placed in the interior by the original owner. Just curious if the interior carbon fiber is common in the US

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks Great! -- exactly the version I got preowned just last week. Does yours have interior carbon fiber? The dealer told me that the one I bought had an additional 20K of Carbon Fiber placed in the interior by the original owner. Just curious if the interior carbon fiber is common in the US
Did you buy yours from Cats Exotics? I saw they were selling one with piano black around the nav, different wheels, and carbon and claimed $20k in upgrades.

Mine doesn't have any CF. Just did leather over everything.

My guess, is that if the carbon costs $20k, it was aftermarket, as there is a place selling all the carbon parts for around that price. Carbon was not readily available at the time, and I didn't feel like delaying it just to have CF stuff. You can get it fitted afterwards anyway. I think the cost of CF components from Audi is more like $10K.

As for how common it is, it's not too common right now because it wasn't available at the time most people got theirs. Audi will have it available again soon I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the long delay in answering... I was on the waiting list in New York, Las Vegas and California... I finally gave up and found one with 1500 miles on it from New York. Hope you have picked one up by now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The one I purchased was from Champion Motor Group in New York, however they purchased it from Cats Exotics. It does have the Carbon Fiber interior, which really looks nice, glad I got it!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Heh, my dealer tried to "prep" my car for 3 days too. They let me know 10 minutes after funds wire transfer cut-off time on a Friday that the car had arrived - no advanced warning.

Fortunately I had the funds available and went in there with a cashier's check (letter of credit) and picked up the car which was magically ready without the 3 day's dealer prep.

I asked the mechanic what dealer prep entailed, and apparently it's driving your brand new nearly irreplaceable car hard for 20 miles on public roads, including repeated full throttle acceleration to redline followed by hard braking to a complete stop.

I understand that on a high performance car like this Audi wants to have a professional driver test the car on a race track, but having an auto mechanic - even a really good auto mechanic - beat on your low mileage car on public roads just doesn't make any sense at all.

Every car I have ever owned says in the manual that you should take it easy for the first 3,000 miles. Every mechanic I've ever been friends with has babied his new cars for the first 3,000 miles to let the seals in the engine set right. The computers on my 507 HP 8500 RPM V10 BMW M5 limits your RPM's and speed automatically for the first 3,000 miles - you can't get around it. Why? Because they cover all maintenance for 5 years!

So for those of you waiting for delivery, beware the dealer "preparation".

If I wanted an exotic car that broke down all the time, I would have bought a Ferrari...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Heh, my dealer tried to "prep" my car for 3 days too. They let me know 10 minutes after funds wire transfer cut-off time on a Friday that the car had arrived - no advanced warning.

Fortunately I had the funds available and went in there with a cashier's check (letter of credit) and picked up the car which was magically ready without the 3 day's dealer prep.

I asked the mechanic what dealer prep entailed, and apparently it's driving your brand new nearly irreplaceable car hard for 20 miles on public roads, including repeated full throttle acceleration to redline followed by hard braking to a complete stop.

I understand that on a high performance car like this Audi wants to have a professional driver test the car on a race track, but having an auto mechanic - even a really good auto mechanic - beat on your low mileage car on public roads just doesn't make any sense at all.

Every car I have ever owned says in the manual that you should take it easy for the first 3,000 miles. Every mechanic I've ever been friends with has babied his new cars for the first 3,000 miles to let the seals in the engine set right. The computers on my 507 HP 8500 RPM V10 BMW M5 limits your RPM's and speed automatically for the first 3,000 miles - you can't get around it. Why? Because they cover all maintenance for 5 years!

So for those of you waiting for delivery, beware the dealer "preparation".

If I wanted an exotic car that broke down all the time, I would have bought a Ferrari...
3 day prep? I could have picked mine up the same day, but I was busy. All they do is take all the wrapping off and fill it up with gas.

I'm pretty sure they don't do anything like you say, unless told my Audi or you have a shitty dealer. Why would they want to create an issue with the car in the beginning? Warranty work doesn't pay.

BTW, why bump this thread?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Perhaps they have increased production or perhaps the Credit Crunch has generated a pile of cancellations - I ordered mine November 2007 and was told delivery would be some time between Feb-Apr 2009 :(

This afternoon the Dealer telephones to inform me that it will be with him next week so it's going on the road September 1st :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't even got a deposit on one, just a test drive and registered interest - got offered brand new one last week with £2.5k discount (previous orderers deposit).

Credit crunch is having a massive effect and the lack of premiums is driving people away.

Rick

Great web site - just found it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts