Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm so happy to finally have found a good MagSafe iphone12 mount that works in the R8 and lets me just slap the phone to the mount where it sticks and wirelessly charges at 7.5w power. (yeah, only flaw is that it doesn't do the full 15w wireless charging that's now possible, but 7.5w should be plenty fast.)

Mount stays put, phone is held strongly... and doesn't block screens or the larger vent.

(Before anyone points it out, YES, next step will be to pull the bezels and hide the wires better. Might even try to integrate the charger/plug by hardwiring it behind dash for even cleaner look)

Here's the link to the mount/charger:

And here's a fantastic lighter-plug charger that is tiny, sits practically flush, yet has PD & QC3.0 to charge two phones at the fastest possible rates.

To take advantage of the flush lighter plug, i bought this USB-C to USB-C cable with right-angle ends:

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
I used a Pitaka setup, you buy their magnetic wireless charger and phone case and it works great. Also liked that the case worked great for wireless charging at home as I always had problems with cases that had magnetics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JoshG, I have the same mount and its great. I put mine closer to the glove box edge and rotate it 90 degrees to minimize the cable showing, and then plug it in the 12V charge in the glove box so I only have about 1 inch of wire visible. I can get a picture tomorrow if helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JoshG, I have the same mount and its great. I put mine closer to the glove box edge and rotate it 90 degrees to minimize the cable showing, and then plug it in the 12V charge in the glove box so I only have about 1 inch of wire visible. I can get a picture tomorrow if helpful.
🤦‍♂️ DOH - totally forgot about the 12v outlet in the glovebox! With the stuff I keep in there, it's been totally hidden for like a year. Gonna move my charger there right now. Thank you! Glad I read your post before pulling all kinds of console trim pieces out to hide that longer wire run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a Pitaka setup, you buy their magnetic wireless charger and phone case and it works great. Also liked that the case worked great for wireless charging at home as I always had problems with cases that had magnetics.
Interesting... looks nice. I've tried several magnetic mounts, but really disliked adding those metal plates to my phone cases.

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm so happy to finally have found a good MagSafe iphone12 mount that works in the R8 and lets me just slap the phone to the mount where it sticks and wirelessly charges at 7.5w power. (yeah, only flaw is that it doesn't do the full 15w wireless charging that's now possible, but 7.5w should be plenty fast.)

Mount stays put, phone is held strongly... and doesn't block screens or the larger vent.

(Before anyone points it out, YES, next step will be to pull the bezels and hide the wires better. Might even try to integrate the charger/plug by hardwiring it behind dash for even cleaner look)

View attachment 260696

View attachment 260694

View attachment 260695

Here's the link to the mount/charger:

And here's a fantastic lighter-plug charger that is tiny, sits practically flush, yet has PD & QC3.0 to charge two phones at the fastest possible rates.
View attachment 260697

To take advantage of the flush lighter plug, i bought this USB-C to USB-C cable with right-angle ends:

View attachment 260698
Nice write up, Joshg ! As I have found many people trying to figure out the best solution to mount phone in the R8. This seems pretty slick. Will have to remember this.

Now there’s always one person with the dumb question... ( it’s me).

So I 99% of the time even when it is cold out like to drive with the AC on which I hear is good foe the r8 anyway!!! But how does this set up impede the airflow form the vents???? So you lose a ton? Is there any down side of having the cold air constantly running on the magnetic holder snd phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
All of those mounting options are pretty ugly in my opinion, I’ll post up my solution when I get to work.

Reactions: tentacle

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw a similar solution before pulling trigger, and while it does look clean I don't like having to look down while driving and I'd worry about the passenger's knee bumping into it consistently.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I typically don’t have passengers but it doesn’t bother my wife. It’s just the mount and a switched USB cord that I hardwired into the glove box. The suction cup adheres nicely to the knee bolster

·
Registered
435 Posts

View attachment 260699
View attachment 260700
Can’t believe you’re cheating on us with the R8’s hotter twin sister!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
I typically don’t have passengers but it doesn’t bother my wife. It’s just the mount and a switched USB cord that I hardwired into the glove box. The suction cup adheres nicely to the knee bolster
All of those mounting options are pretty ugly in my opinion, I’ll post up my solution when I get to work.
Yea didnt look great but found it best option for me at the time. Nice that I no longer need a phone mount since all my cars now have Apple Carplay, best being on my new Evo

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice that I no longer need a phone mount since all my cars now have Apple Carplay, best being on my new Evo
That looks so nice, as soon as someone makes a module to modify the stock Gen 1s with Apple Car Play I'll be in there immediately!

Love the new forged(?) carbon fibre on those new Lambos.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw you post this before at some point and thought it looked pretty cool at the time - I've actually ordered a very similar mount today to try it out myself!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts