Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a 23 month wait, got my new car Wed. pm!

pictures later--having too much fun driving right now! but a couple of fwiw observations:

for me anyway, the Jet Blue works really nice with the silver blade and the Limestone Gray interior: in most lights, the blade and the seats look virtually matched, so it carries the interior look over to the outside really well;
polished alloys are NOT too blingy with this combo: fit right in with the blade

this was the first (of over a dozen R8s) Jet Blue my dealer had delivered and I got a LOT of, "Boy, I like that color," comments at the dealership; out in the real world, few have seen ANY R8, so the color in particular doesn't excite much specific comment; color very subject to ambient light (as typical for most Audi metallics)

this is also the first 2010 v8 my dealer has seen; you can put it down to the fact that I've just forgotten maybe; but I spent a whole day driving one of these @ Infineon, and this car feels a little DIFFERENT in a couple of ways:

possibly these differences are just due to the fact that this car is brand new
(41 mi. on the odo when it rolled off the truck), but fwiw:

the car absolutely SEEMS to have more low end "grunt" than I remember from the "Sportscar Experience" car; I know, they aren't CLAIMING anymore hp. for the 2010, but I can't help but wonder if they remapped the chip or something to improve the low end? I'm still being pretty gentle with it (though I am of the school of using some brief higher revs frequently from early on with a new car); but this car moves off with a LOT more authority than that track queen I drove in Sonoma;

the other difference I can't escape is the SOUND: my daughter, who is fairly sophisticated about cars, on first hearing it, said, "Dad! It sounds like a Shelby Mustang." (which she is familiar with). I wouldn't necessarily agree with that exactly, but it's got a very noticeable and deep toned burble at idle and a real American v8 rumble when moving off through the low revs. Quiets down at higher revs but you can hear that less intense higher rev "snarl" that the cars @ Sonoma did have also; it's the LOW END quality and intensity of sound that really SURPRISED me! I do NOT remember that nearly so marked as this car sounds; maybe the mufflers are just not "broken in" yet or something, but I also wonder if they haven't "tweaked" the sound a bit???

other than that, its an R8 and you guys know more of that than I do yet, so I won't bore! btw, it DOES of course have the new NAV, but frankly, I have totally ignored the electronics (not necessary to making the car go!) so far; I'll get to that when rainly weather comes!!

I will post some pics of the car/interior combo, because I think prospective buyers get a LOT of help from that and I wish every R8 owner would post his car pics so one could see the gamut of options and combos.....later!!:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Gratz on the car its been a long wait :p You finally have yours answers about your nav etc and i'm guessing they probably did do a remap.

P.S Update your signature ;)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Congrats on finally getting it. Hope it is all you were expecting and more. Have a great time driving it and get used to it on the streets. They are fun cars.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for posting some quick thoughts. Looking forward to seeing some pics. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
congrats and enjoy!

look forward to seeing pics :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is good news. I'm stuck on the fence about ordered V8 or V10. I wish we had some hard data on the V8 and whether it has been remapped. I want it to at least "feel" quicker than my 997 Carrera S. Test drives of the V8 have not given that perception, which is the main reason I'd step up to the V10 (if money were no object). I'd be so happy with the V8 if it felt a little peppier. WillyJP -- you've given me hope.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
congrats on the new ride.......enjoy

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Willyjp...you are a very patient person.23 months Oh my god:eek:

Congrats and I am sure you are having a ball.

I also note you comments on the engines performance.You would be correct that it possibly feels different as per in my thread "Massive Engine Blowup" below.

"Also found out that the new engine going in is a new updated version of the R8 motor which commenced in Feb 09.Same horsepower but refined and improved?"

·
Registered
761 Posts
My God! Congratulations Willy!!!

Willy's posts are gonna double or triple in less than a week!!! Nobody details things like he does!

·
Registered
761 Posts
You should think to get your plate as "999". That would be cool!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Congrats Willy! Let's see some pix when you get some time - there's none right now, as you have miles and seat time to put in.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am sure Willy decided to sleep in his R8 tonight ;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Your patience has paid off. Only you could have come up with a color combo that flows from inside to out and outside in !!!!!!!!! It freaks people out -just that it is an R8, let alone a very personalized one. Have fun and keep that baby fresh and clean/Keep the shiney side up and the sticky side----- d:cool:wn. Wait'n to get your feedback!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sunday evening, and I'm checking into the forum for the first time in a couple of days!
Boy have I had fun driving!

Gazza: I'm glad, and reassured, that you posted that blurb (I assume from Audi) about the "new" v8 being "improved". I thought maybe I was just over enthused about the new car and it was a "halo" effect. But the more I drive it, the more I am convinced there's a definite difference in the LOW END PULL compared to the only other R8 I've driven (the well broken in car I drove @ the 1 day Infineon course).

I would NOT have brought this up again if you hadn't said somebody made that claim for your new engine, because I really thought I was just imagining it! I'm abundantly sure it's no match for the v10, and nobody targeting a v10 should be deterred just by my little comment. But I can't escape the difference in "GRUNT" and "SOUND" between 2500 and 4000 rpm. The Sonoma car was a tad thin in that area, kind of confirming some of the things I'd heard. But it really came on over 4000 rpm and I figured that's just the way the v8 was going to be.

But I think they did SOMETHING to it to improve the bottom end, and the sound. Guess I just won't know for sure until I get to match up alongside an older v8 and find out. Could be just an illusion?

PS: been cloudy here with occas. showers but due to improve this coming week; I promise pics as soon as the sun comes out!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Willy,

Does yours have the regular nav or the newest one?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Willy,

Does yours have the regular nav or the newest one?
New. But like I said in my first post, I honestly haven't even fiddled with the nav yet! Turned the radio on, of course, and the Sirius, and the screen is nice and crisp and all, but I'm just sitting down with the owners manual tonight to read about how to turn on some of the stuff like the nav.

When I picked up the car, the salesman said: "Do you want the full explanation and check-out on the car and it's systems, or do you just want to take the keys and go?" My response was: "Just give me the keys. Kbye!";)

PS: for the record, my "serial #" (last of VIN) is 000551, and I HAVE the NEW NAV, as did fellow Portlander SBFV10 Steve who's v10 was 546.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
PS: been cloudy here with occas. showers but due to improve this coming week; I promise pics as soon as the sun comes out!
Being in the Pacific Northwest I really hope you don't wait until the sun comes out to get some pictures. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts