Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a fire extinguisher is probably a good idea, but having it in the trunk likely means that you will get to it too late.

Does anyone have a fire extinguisher in the cabin? Where did you attach it? Any pictures?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can't say that I find it any more necessary to have a fire extinguisher in the R8 than in a Honda. If your car goes up in flames, Audi will probably be sending you a new one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably, but if not, it means an 18-24 month waiting time to get another R8.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe its worth carrying one - I did consider it after seeing this...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have one, I was pissed when I found out that they put it in without telling me, its located on the passenger side footwell to the right of the passenger Ill post picks soon

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I have one, I was pissed when I found out that they put it in without telling me, its located on the passenger side footwell to the right of the passenger Ill post picks soon
To bring this thread alive, I like to see a picture of this factory supplied fire extinguisher and how it is mounted at the passenger side footwell.
Can anyone provide such picture?
Thanks. Text Material property Font

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't think a small extinguisher is going to put out something like that.
Agreed, it may not “put out” some think like that; however, if a portable fire extinguisher was deployed at the incipient stage of the that fire; it’s possible that….
”that fire” would not have advanced to that magnitude!

Portable Fire Extinguishers are designed to combat various classes of fires in their “incipient stage”. Most fires start relatively small and will only “rapidly” escalate in size if/when certain relevant conditions exist.

I think most people may be pleasantly surprised to see how effective a properly rated portable fire extinguisher can be when deployed promptly and properly operated.

I have 2.5#, 5B:C rated portable extinguishers in each of my vehicles. My objective is not necessarily to extinguish an potential automotive fire but to afford me the opportunity to fight my way out of the vehicle should it become involved in fire.

Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
Seems like every time someones car catches of fire this comes up, i personally just carry around a bag of marshmallows and skewers.

on a serious note, i have seen them mount underneath the dashboard on passenger side, rear shelf behind the seats, and behind the seats on the bottom.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i have an extinguisher in my car. mounted to my harness bar since I track. doubt it is big enough to stop a raging engine fire but hopefully it is enough to put me out if I catch on fire (pretty much what Jimer said)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
There is a compartment just under the passenger seat and I believe there is where the OEM fire extinguisher be stored. However upon opened it, it is empty inside and I guess the dealer does not specify it in the equipment list.
Is there anyone having such fire extinguisher? Any picture of it?
What is the part no. of it?

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
I mounted mine on rear deck.
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Car seat

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it is a great idea to have one. I guess there isn't an easily reversible or cheap way to properly mount one in our cabin though. So I am not sure how feasible it is for me.

This was on the frontpage of reddit today (although from last summer originally and not the timestamp):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSmeZ5nvWU&t=20s

A truck driver is being called a hero after he jumped into action to save a grandmother and her 1-year-old granddaughter involved in a horrific crash.

David Fredericksen had a dashcam rolling when a car slammed into a semi-truck along I-10 near Biloxi, Mississippi.

The car merging somehow came out into traffic sideways and a trailer truck hit the car. Two people showed up within seconds with extinguishers to pull the baby and grandma out. You may not be saving your r8, or someone else's car... it could be their life!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Excellent video, thanks Default for posting! There are many take-a-way’s; both good and bad that we can use as a learning experience.

Humanitarian ("NOT") Idiot in White Van: This guy was the very first on the scene and rather being a Good Samaritan and try to assist his fellow human beings, he choose to hall tail and drive around the crash and run like the little sissy he apparently is! Hope Karma bites him someday.

Truck Driver: I’m not sure if it was an accident/luck or if the smoke forced him downwind or if he actually knew that the extinguishing agent would be most effective when deployed with the wind to his back. Never the less, “he done good”!

2nd. Fire Extinguisher User: He started his initial deployment of extinguishing agent down at the ground and slowly advanced closer, concentrating on the base of the fire as opposed to chasing flames and smoke! By starting the initial deployment downward/in front of him, he created a temporary heat shield which allowed him to advance and afforded protection for the people attempting to rescue the occupants of the car. Text book, well done!

Cop: No Fire Extinguisher, no sense of urgency to inquire if anyone is still in the car and blocks the fire engine with his car. IMO, this guy needs some retraining.

Fire Department: I not convinced that upon their initial arrival, they were certain that no one was still in the car? IMO, the engineer should have dropped off one or two firefighters with portable fire extinguishers to check out the scene while the fire engine proceeded to the nearest fire hydrant via the "downwind" side of the fire, not driving through the dense smoke not knowing if there are other vehicles or fuel spills thus trapping them and becoming victim’s themselves.

IMO, the private citizen, Good Samaritan's performed better than the paid “trained professionals”! Kudos to them!

Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the van pulls ahead and parks on the right shoulder. You can see him later in the video I think. He could have been concerned for 2 reasons: more cars could be piling up behind him, or he wanted to move out of the way for responders.

It is pretty amazing how quickly the fire truck got there. 2.5 minutes from accident? That is unheard of. But the baby and grandma still would have been toast by that time if it wasn't for the people.

Someone also jumps over the barrier out of nowhere with a backpack to help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, the van pulls up and parks.. then leaves around 2:50 and I think takes that offramp.. He might have pulled ahead to check out the truck driver???

Crazy.. Huge props to those who gave assistance.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Car Vehicle Family car
To bring this thread alive, I like to see a picture of this factory supplied fire extinguisher and how it is mounted at the passenger side footwell.
Can anyone provide such picture?
Thanks. View attachment 74769
This is the compartment under the passenger side. Looks like to install the fire extinguisher? Can anyone having such fire extinguisher provides a picture?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts