Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
HRE's are very overpriced. And due to their "reversed lip" design they have been noticed to vibrate a lot in wet weather due to water getting under the lip of the wheel and throwing the weight off.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that they are overpriced, however they are nice wheels. Im guessing that someone getting ready to drop 100 large (at the minimum) on a car wont care about the price of HRE's.

I personally (for the price) Prefer CCW's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
well my dealer said the R8 is coming with the twin blade 5 spokes and they are ina bi-colour finish, now in the UK these will get messed very quickley and they will be changing a few sets under warranty. be interesting to see who plays about with the car first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
IMO, there are so many other comparable wheels, in terms of quality, that can be had for much less. They are nice wheels, but I agree, over priced for what you get.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What's wrong with the 'standard' 19" rims? They are nice and fit well!

Although you can try the new Gallardo rims on it :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMHO, people that upgrade their cars do so because the car simply doesn't make a big enough statement. Now with the R8, I believe that it will make a huge statement without any aftermarket garbage whatsoever. Almost any upgrade, IMHO, would be a discrace to the car itself. Never been a big fan of aftermarket... sorry fellas.

·
Registered
782 Posts
IMHO, people that upgrade their cars do so because the car simply doesn't make a big enough statement. Now with the R8, I believe that it will make a huge statement without any aftermarket garbage whatsoever. Almost any upgrade, IMHO, would be a discrace to the car itself. Never been a big fan of aftermarket... sorry fellas.
I agree 10.000%!

That aftermarket stuff is never subtle, tasteful or complementing a car IMHO.

Okay, when you drive an (old) Seat or Vauxhall, rims and some nice (not overdone) exhaust tips can give a car some extra.

But hey, do what you want to do with the car :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
i agree with that comment,the R8 is awesome sitting on the 19's. But also have you ever heard the phrase " form follows function "?
The design of the wheels are as they are for a certain reason, not just because they are damm nice rims..... They are designed that way for maximum cooling of the huge brakes, covering these brakes with non approved audi rims could jepordise brake cooling and efficency.....

·
Registered
564 Posts
i agree with that comment,the R8 is awesome sitting on the 19's. But also have you ever heard the phrase " form follows function "?
The design of the wheels are as they are for a certain reason, not just because they are damm nice rims..... They are designed that way for maximum cooling of the huge brakes, covering these brakes with non approved audi rims could jepordise brake cooling and efficency.....
very good point Rob

I might just keep the 19inch 2x5 spoke wheels as summer wheels
and the 18inch 6spoke as winter..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would def have the 19" rims for the summer and the 18" for winter....
gallardo rims are nice, but i dont think you can beat the look of the R8 19"s. i love them....

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have HRE's on my RS6 Stateside. Pain in the ass, need refurbing every 18 months and very prone to staining. I put champion 1 piece forged on my 911 Turbo - much better. A friend has HRE's on his turbo and the finish is peeling off - I don't recommend them to anyone even though they look great. Too much maintenance.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Just be careful if they are multiple piece HRE's. I have these on my RS6 and they are a nightmare, have had to refurb them several times and the bright chrome never stays bright. It gets acid type looks all the time despite staying away from car washes. Go for a one piece forged wheel like Champion makes for the porsche if you can. Thats my opinion - I have the champions on my porsche.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts