Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Ibis White - Blackout | Carbon Blades Engine bay, Trim | Sport Exhaust
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100% track noob here, go easy please.

Finally got to take my Gen1 R8 to COTA this past weekend with edge-addicts. What a phenomenal time. First track experience so I was in Intro class but was able to push the car pretty hard. Took prep very seriously had car looked over and actually drove 350 miles to COTA.

Two things I observed. I am on PZeros which are about 2 years old w 5k miles on them. At the end of session 2(lap 12-13 of 50 min track time that day) they were absolutely mush. Sliding everywhere. The Pzeros have been great for me on street driving, but after this I don't think I'd ever run Pzeros again if I needed to do track time. Is this behavior an age of tire thing or is this a Pzero thing? I'm going to buy new tires in a few months when I get new wheels and have been leaning towards the Micheline Pilot line.

Second my brake pedal is MUCH stiffer after the track time. Drove home after the event about 350 miles and stopping power was there as normal but the the brake pedal was just quite a bit stiffer than pre event.

She is due an oil change by mileage in a month or so, so may get the brake system serviced as well.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much this forum is absolutely fantastic.

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If you intend to do more track days in the future it would pay you to change the brake fluid to something like Motul M600 or Castrol SRF.

When it comes to tyres, P Zero's are not the best but just about any road tyre is going to melt after a good few laps. You might want to consider getting a second set of wheels and fitting something along the lines of Michelin Pilot Cup 2.

Reactions: tekn0lust and DaveL

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
393 Posts
100% track noob here, go easy please.

Finally got to take my Gen1 R8 to COTA this past weekend with edge-addicts. What a phenomenal time. First track experience so I was in Intro class but was able to push the car pretty hard. Took prep very seriously had car looked over and actually drove 350 miles to COTA.

Two things I observed. I am on PZeros which are about 2 years old w 5k miles on them. At the end of session 2(lap 12-13 of 50 min track time that day) they were absolutely mush. Sliding everywhere. The Pzeros have been great for me on street driving, but after this I don't think I'd ever run Pzeros again if I needed to do track time. Is this behavior an age of tire thing or is this a Pzero thing? I'm going to buy new tires in a few months when I get new wheels and have been leaning towards the Micheline Pilot line.

Second my brake pedal is MUCH stiffer after the track time. Drove home after the event about 350 miles and stopping power was there as normal but the the brake pedal was just quite a bit stiffer than pre event.

She is due an oil change by mileage in a month or so, so may get the brake system serviced as well.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much this forum is absolutely fantastic.

View attachment 267159
For sure the R8 is great at the track, but it is in need of a few upgrades - Tires and the braking system first. I am glad your track day went well in general. COTA is a great track. We look forward to getting there.

Tires
  • We run Michelin PS4S on the street and like them a lot.
  • We run the Michelin PSC2's om the track for more grip with very similar behavior to PS4S
    • We aim for 39 psi front and 36 psi rear hot so we go down about 7 psi from there for cold pressures
Brakes
  • Did you run stock? (pads, rotors and fluid?)
    • We faded Endless Blue pads (medium track pad), warped the stock rotors that created an undriveable shudder and boiled the fluid in 15 minutes at Road America where we run at the front on the advanced class on track days. So that is a hard braking track (160 mph down to 90 mph in T1 and 150 mph down to 45 mph in T5 and many other aggressive braking zones)
  • So we switched to Girodisc two-piece floating slotted rotors with Raybestos ST-43 Pads (for the track) and their Girodisc Magic pads (for the street) along with new Brembo HTC-64T brake fluid each year, 10000 miles ago along with 6 track days without a hint of fade, as smooth as the first day and major brake markers moved back about 100 feet due to better torque, no fade and increased confidence
Suspension
  • Do you have the Mag ride suspension on your R8?

·
Registered
2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Ibis White - Blackout | Carbon Blades Engine bay, Trim | Sport Exhaust
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you intend to do more track days in the future it would pay you to change the brake fluid to something like Motul M600 or Castrol SRF.

When it comes to tyres, P Zero's are not the best but just about any road tyre is going to melt after a good few laps. You might want to consider getting a second set of wheels and fitting something along the lines of Michelin Pilot Cup 2.
Fantastic. Thanks. I won't do a ton of track days, but a couple a year are possible. When I get my new wheels this fall I'll put track rubber on the EOM wheels. Thanks for the brake fluid advice.

--Shawn

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sure the R8 is great at the track, but it is in need of a few upgrades - Tires and the braking system first. I am glad your track day went well in general. COTA is a great track. We look forward to getting there.

Tires
  • We run Michelin PS4S on the street and like them a lot.
  • We run the Michelin PSC2's om the track for more grip with very similar behavior to PS4S
    • We aim for 39 psi front and 36 psi rear hot so we go down about 7 psi from there for cold pressures
Brakes
  • Did you run stock? (pads, rotors and fluid?)
    • We faded Endless Blue pads (medium track pad), warped the stock rotors that created an undriveable shudder and boiled the fluid in 15 minutes at Road America where we run at the front on the advanced class on track days. So that is a hard braking track (160 mph down to 90 mph in T1 and 150 mph down to 45 mph in T5 and many other aggressive braking zones)
  • So we switched to Girodisc two-piece floating slotted rotors with Raybestos ST-43 Pads (for the track) and their Girodisc Magic pads (for the street) along with new Brembo HTC-64T brake fluid each year, 10000 miles ago along with 6 track days without a hint of fade, as smooth as the first day and major brake markers moved back about 100 feet due to better torque, no fade and increased confidence
Suspension
  • Do you have the Mag ride suspension on your R8?
Good tire advice, that's where my head currently is. Will make my OEM wheels my track set and my new wheels my daily set. I probably ran too much psi then. I was at 40 front and 38 rear cold. Did not think to take a measurement after second session.

Brake system is 100% stock steel. Fluid and pads were new in March w 3000 street miles on them. performed well on the track stopping from 135+. With the stiff pedal now I'm definitely going to have the system serviced.

Stock magride. Preformed fantastic. I've only 14k miles on this car its a 2015. Got it last December w 8.5k

Thanks for the tips!

--S

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
393 Posts
Good tire advice, that's where my head currently is. Will make my OEM wheels my track set and my new wheels my daily set. I probably ran too much psi then. I was at 40 front and 38 rear cold. Did not think to take a measurement after second session.

Brake system is 100% stock steel. Fluid and pads were new in March w 3000 street miles on them. performed well on the track stopping from 135+. With the stiff pedal now I'm definitely going to have the system serviced.

Stock magride. Preformed fantastic. I've only 14k miles on this car its a 2015. Got it last December w 8.5k

Thanks for the tips!

--S
Glad to help. As you gain experience and speed you will fade the brakes and boil the stock fluid and it can be a very bad day. You should run at least full on track pads and much higher temp brake fluid...Motul600, Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC-64T, etc

As you gain experience our Ohlins TTX Ahlman Performance Stage II setup is a good balance of road and track for more grip, better power down, more direct/linear steering, better connection to the R8/feedback and durability. But surely the tires and brakes are needed first.

Have fun out there.

Scott

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Fantastic. Thanks. I won't do a ton of track days, but a couple a year are possible. When I get my new wheels this fall I'll put track rubber on the EOM wheels. Thanks for the brake fluid advice.

--Shawn
You are most welcome. Track days are very addictive so be prepared to start the upgrades. :)

·
Registered
2008 Audi R8 V8 RT | 2015 BMW M4 DCT
45 Posts
I'm an instructor for Edge Addicts. You were actually parked not too far from my M4 :)

I'll keep an eye out for you in December if you feel comfortable with that. Might be easier to get feedback in real-time as to car behavior, given we both own R8's.

As for tires, it was not terribly hot that day but I've noticed non-slick Pirelli's get pretty greasy very quick. The biggest downfall for new track students is they don't lower their PSI before going out. It's hard to tell you what your cold PSI should be, but typically it should be 20-25 PSI at COTA, dependent on how heavy your car is and how hard you push so don't take those figures literally. The best thing you can do is the second you hop off track, get a tire PSI reading and see how it felt to you, then adjust. Also note, the format last weekend for EA was abnormal, we only had to park in Lot A because of F1 coming in 2 weeks.

As for brakes, you may have lost a lot of braking stopping power and think you haven't. Either way, make sure you get your brake fluid swapped with something that has a high heat tolerance. I aim to swap it every 4 track weekends MAX with Castrol SRF. And please, swap your pads with a trackpad, specifically a track pad that is still somewhat kind to your rotors.

COTA this weekend was greasy so keep that in mind. Plenty of good advice here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
High temp brake fluid id not a performance enhancement it is a safety necessity. In these heavy cars it's not a matter if it's a matter of when ordinary fluid will boil. If your lucky it's a soft pedal if your not it's a complete loss of brakes. You can buy a pressure bleeder on Amazon for around $80. The Castrol SRF IMO is the best choice for a heavy car. You can do the flush yourself in an hour and a half. Don't put yourself and everyone else on the track at risk it's a must do.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,062 Posts
High temp brake fluid id not a performance enhancement it is a safety necessity. In these heavy cars it's not a matter if it's a matter of when ordinary fluid will boil. If your lucky it's a soft pedal if your not it's a complete loss of brakes. You can buy a pressure bleeder on Amazon for around $80. The Castrol SRF IMO is the best choice for a heavy car. You can do the flush yourself in an hour and a half. Don't put yourself and everyone else on the track at risk it's a must do.
Happened to my buddy in his RS3…coming down the back straight at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) at about 150mph (240kmh) and brakes were non existent, pure loss of brakes. Luckily he’s a good driver and shredded off some speed and literally put himself into a spin before the turn, he didn’t touch a wall or anything but a very scary moment to say the least

Reactions: tekn0lust

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an instructor for Edge Addicts. You were actually parked not too far from my M4 :)
What color was your m4? My son took a few pics and video he might have caught you.

Here's some of the pics we took, more being processed.
https://www.shockox.com/Car-Shows/COTA-Edge-Addicts/

Thanks for the other info, I've already lined up the brake work and tires are coming w new wheels soon. Hopefully I'll have my fabspeed on by December. I'll call it 50/50 if I'll make the December event.

·
Registered
2008 Audi R8 V8 RT | 2015 BMW M4 DCT
45 Posts
It's white with yellow-tinted headlights, #63. I only went out for 2 sessions in the advanced group, it was really to take my neighbors out around COTA before they attend the F1 race.

Awesome! Hopefully, you had a lot of fun taking your beautiful car around one of the best tracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts