Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
if only someone makes a Titanium version I would be all over it!

·
Registered
978 Posts
MTM is VERY good quality, one of the best in the business.

The stainless exhausts normally drop 50% of the weight of the standard systems. I can't imagine what Ti would do!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just saw a friend's GTR with a Titanium exhaust set up and loved it. He told me the entire system (including the catback system) only weighed 20lbs. That's amazing.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Dan1 showed me some amazingly light and amazingly beautiful titanium exhausts for racing motorcycles. I assume the only negatives would be 1) cost and 2) difficulty of repair (I beleive you can't weld titanium except in an inert atmosphere).

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Since denting is'nt an issue I woul go with an aluminum set-up. Much cheaper and easier to work with. I was drilling into my Yoshimura exhaust one day using a titanium drill bit. Bit snapped and broken peice still in hand drill poked through my finger.I respect titaniums' qualities more now. OUCH !! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Ti is a great material for exhaust systems. It's light, it can handle the heat, it doesn't corrode. It's only real drawback, which is not one at all in a car, is that the section of the header where the exhaust gasses are at the hottest (usually about 4" down from the exhaust manifold) can be a tad tender and dent a little more easily than something like stainless.

We ran Ti systems on our GSXR750 Super Bikes back in the 80's - whole system, including muffler weighed 8 lbs.

I've been running Ti exhaust systems on my motocross bikes for the past 6 years and have never suffered any sort of damage due to hits or rocks or the likes either.

It's probably one of the best exhaust materials around as long as it's well supported.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dan1 showed me some amazingly light and amazingly beautiful titanium exhausts for racing motorcycles. I assume the only negatives would be 1) cost and 2) difficulty of repair (I beleive you can't weld titanium except in an inert atmosphere).
Titanium weights about 55% of what the same size piece of steel weights.

Most Ti exhausts are not welded in an inert chamber, just flowed with an inert gas, both inside and out.

All the Ti pipes made in Japan are hand welded.

There are different grades of Ti used for exhaust systems, the most common being "Commercially Pure" (CP) Ti.
It is easy to bend (for Titanium) and easy to weld.
This grade is OK for most Motorcycle applications, but is marginal for cars.
CP Ti is OK up to 600C after that it can loose strength and crack.

First rate companies that make Ti Car systems, like Akrapovic, use different grades that are good up to 800C.
800C is high enought for cars.
Akrapovic also uses machined parts where parts are slip fitted together. These machined parts are also coated to reduce any galling. Ti is prone to doing this.

We deal with a number of Compaines in Japan that make Ti exhausts, Including Arata who also makes some high end car exhausts.

If enought people really wanted a first rate Ti system I can get them made.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
That is a beautiful piece. I will have to get me a Duc to bolt up to that baby.

I believe Kreissig makes a titanium exhaust for the R8. Not sure about the grade though. Would the R8 exhaust really need the high temp grade, as it does not bolt up to the heads?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Is'nt the Miltek made of Titanium? :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You're right the Miltek is s.s.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
According to quicksilver website, only the muffler is titanium while the pipes are stainless steel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts