Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Car in question is a 2009 audi r8 v8

The issue is I've come to start up the car which I expected to be flat as I've been away for a while and its happened before.

Past times this has happened (2 times) I've used the manual bonnet release wire under the glove box accessed the battery and charged it up.

Issue this time is that the battery is that dead I cant even use the central locking so my only access to the car is manually opening the drivers door (cant open passenger) I have tried pulling the manual release multiple times but theres just no give whatsoever.

I've spoken to a mechanic who's worked on the car previously and he reckons the car may of deadlocked meaning the manual release is now of no use.

So ultimately my issue is I need to charge the battery to access the car but I need to access the car to charge the battery

Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Once inside the car remove the rear trim panel ( it pulls upwards), there you'll have access to all the control modules, on the left side you'll find the main fuse block (smallish all black plastic enclosure) connect a charger there. Once you're up and running check out the thread " great charger connection" to avoid this happening in the future.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi there,
Car in question is a 2009 audi r8 v8

The issue is I've come to start up the car which I expected to be flat as I've been away for a while and its happened before.

Past times this has happened (2 times) I've used the manual bonnet release wire under the glove box accessed the battery and charged it up.

Issue this time is that the battery is that dead I cant even use the central locking so my only access to the car is manually opening the drivers door (cant open passenger) I have tried pulling the manual release multiple times but theres just no give whatsoever.

I've spoken to a mechanic who's worked on the car previously and he reckons the car may of deadlocked meaning the manual release is now of no use.

So ultimately my issue is I need to charge the battery to access the car but I need to access the car to charge the battery

Any help is appreciated
I'm not sure that the manual release would be inoperable. That would be a bit pointless having it in the first place. I know mine needs quite a good tug to activate, maybe you just need to pull harder or at a better angle. Although as you've done it before I guess maybe not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Manual release would not be affected by battery condition. But it could be inop for other reasons...

Just a thought.... jack up car, remove belly panel and put charger on the hot lead of the starter. I am thinking this would work. Anyone correct me it it wont.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Manual release would not be affected by battery condition. But it could be inop for other reasons...

Just a thought.... jack up car, remove belly panel and put charger on the hot lead of the starter. I am thinking this would work. Anyone correct me it it wont.
perhaps on positive side of starter solenoid and chassis

·
Registered
188 Posts

Agreed, if you’re up for working on it, then may as well give it a go now since you’ll want to free up the cable or latch anyways. Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
perhaps on positive side of starter solenoid and chassis

I just took my starter off yesterday and it had me thinking.... There is a nice frame ground right there and the 'hot lead' is an enormous size wire going to the solenoid like you say. There is a little plastic cap on the nut. Just take off with a small flat head. Probably could charge there. (I dont think there would be a diode in that circuit). But worst case, you could jump car.

Starter is right in the center of pic. I have plastic cap removed off 'hot' wire as described. Should be pretty easy to get to from under. NOTE: It will be right in front of sump tank which is removed in pic.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts