Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came accross the new battery from Antigravity UK could be of interest to weight savers at 600 quid;

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/automotive/antigravity-rs-20-car-battery.html

In their words;

The RS-20 weighs only 10 lbs, puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8! Yet it has a very compact footprint at L 9-1/2” x W 6.8” x H 7.5”.

Compared to a Lead/Acid Battery the RS-20 is roughly 70% Lighter in most applications. In Race use it can offer as much as an 80% weight reduction. This equates to roughly 25-40 lbs of instant weight-loss just by changing out the Battery! That makes it the most cost effective weight-loss product hands-down. To save this much weight in Carbon or Titanium parts would cost over $10,000 dollars. So enjoy better handling, shorter breaking distances, better acceleration and better gas mileage with the RS-20 Lithium-Ion Starter Battery.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great find thanks and it has the similar technology as Voltphreaks but I'm not sure the 20amp is man enough for the R8?.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can only go by the publicity from them classba;

puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8!

When my battery dies, I´ll be going this route, and it´s cheaper than the Voltphreaks, plus it looks like it has a base lip similar to the R8 original battery so the clamp will locate it. One phone call would answer all doubts eh?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Can only go by the publicity from them classba;

puts out an incredible 1000 Amps, and can easily start a 900 Horsepower Big-Block V8!

When my battery dies, I´ll be going this route, and it´s cheaper than the Voltphreaks, plus it looks like it has a base lip similar to the R8 original battery so the clamp will locate it. One phone call would answer all doubts eh?
Yes DaveL.... My stock OEM GT battery has 65amps and only lasts around 2 weeks before it dies so the 20 amps is not going to last long but besides that factor, it looks alright to me.

Yes will call them for more info come Monday.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good man classba, look forward to hearing their answer, keep us posted as my hopes are riding on this being a good product,

cheers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good man classba, look forward to hearing their answer, keep us posted as my hopes are riding on this being a good product,

cheers.

Will do DaveL :)

I'm a bit confused as to the origin of the batteries being USA or UK made because I'm seeing them for sale for US$600 stateside and 600 GBP in the UK?.

If they are UK manufactured then surely it should cost more than $600 to buy in the states.

I've done a bit of research already and apparently, 20 amps from a Lithium is around 75 amps for a normal regular batteries.

Let me double check with them and post my findings here later on.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello classba, I would think U.S.A. and they appear to be using the age old exchange rate of ¨if it´s a dollar in the states it´s a pound in uk¨
Looking forward to the answers, and if it´s the real deal... no import taxes to pay!

Cheers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Classba - 20A is 20A in any form. It is one of the components that form wattage which equals power. What you might be trying to say is that because the new style battery may hold a higher voltage under high instant load (or amps inrush) then it uses less current to produce the power it takes to turn over the engine. Example: power = volts x amps x efficiency. Power and efficiency will be constant in this case so the variables are voltage and amps. If the voltage remains higher then the amperage is less. Sorry for the lecture.
Just to note - a larger gauge wire will have less resistivity therefore a higher voltage will flow so a lower current for any battery starter combo.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size battery does my vehicle need ?
- That depends on the current needed by the starter when cranking the engine.
4 cyl - 8Ah . . . 6 cyl - 8Ah . . . . 8 cyl - 8 or 16Ah

The advertised one that´s new from Antigravity is rated at 20Ah, so should do the trick!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

There is also the RS30 ! very good for the R8.

Tom
Hello Tom, RS-30 in the U.S.A $650, RS-20 in the U.K. 600 Pounds, don´t ask me why! they´re both advertised as the ¨NEW¨battery in their range.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not had the chance to call the UK agent but have E-mailed Antigravity over the pond about the S30 and availability for the UK.

I wonder if they are willing to ship one over :)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not had the chance to call the UK agent but have E-mailed Antigravity over the pond about the S30 and availability for the UK.

I wonder if they are willing to ship one over :)
They appear to be the same, both are advertised as ¨New¨!

·
Registered
591 Posts
The UK agent will have the S20 & S30 by the beginning of April :)

Wish they did a remote start switch like the Voltphreaks rather than a button on the battery.

·
Registered
804 Posts
real 20AH with LifePO4 and 1000A CCA is enough for an R8, 30AH is better (less stress for battery=longer life) and for 50$ more for the 30AH everybody that buys an RS20 is not very smart to do so but that is not the problem with the LifePo4 batteries:

guys be aware that a LifePo4 battery has a complete different charging characteristics then lead acid batteries, means your R8 lead acid characteristics delivers 14,4V but 16-18V short peaks which kills a lifePO4 AND a lifePo4 needs when roughly 30% charged a constant voltage with high amperes first and then slowly going down when getting more and more charged till its fully charged. Your R8 lead characteristic does exactly the opposite, means your battery will have more stress/not ever be completly charged=shorter life. DOn't know anybody with a daily driver whos lifePo4 was alive more the 3 years, majority died under 2 years lifespan. lead acid batteries can be charged with the so called IU-characteristics which would fit also the LifePO4 but unfortuanatly thats not what Audi used in the R8 (and anywhere else in their gasoline and diesel cars).

Yes RS20/30 has the electronics build in but they get permantly overloaded and faster damage because they need to constantly fix the wrong charging characteristics of your alternators electronic. Already the max Voltage need to be limited to 14.4V to avoid rapide aging of the Lifepo4.
It can be easly fixed when changing the charging electronics directly build into the alternator/attached to it but nobody deliveres a kit for that till now. Don't know why?

Tracktools are different because the battery gets fully charged regularly by an external charger with right characteristics, so the wrong characteritics doesn't play a big role. 2nd a tracktool has much less consumers means the AH needed is much smaller=less stress=longer lifespan for the battery.

·
Registered
591 Posts
real 20AH with LifePO4 and 1000A CCA is enough for an R8, 30AH is better (less stress for battery=longer life) and for 50$ more for the 30AH everybody that buys an RS20 is not very smart to do so but that is not the problem with the LifePo4 batteries:

guys be aware that a LifePo4 battery has a complete different charging characteristics then lead acid batteries, means your R8 lead acid characteristics delivers 14,4V but 16-18V short peaks which kills a lifePO4 AND a lifePo4 needs when roughly 30% charged a constant voltage with high amperes first and then slowly going down when getting more and more charged till its fully charged. Your R8 lead characteristic does exactly the opposite, means your battery will have more stress/not ever be completly charged=shorter life. DOn't know anybody with a daily driver whos lifePo4 was alive more the 3 years, majority died under 2 years lifespan. lead acid batteries can be charged with the so called IU-characteristics which would fit also the LifePO4 but unfortuanatly thats not what Audi used in the R8 (and anywhere else in their gasoline and diesel cars).

Yes RS20/30 has the electronics build in but they get permantly overloaded and faster damage because they need to constantly fix the wrong charging characteristics of your alternators electronic. Already the max Voltage need to be limited to 14.4V to avoid rapide aging of the Lifepo4.
It can be easly fixed when changing the charging electronics directly build into the alternator/attached to it but nobody deliveres a kit for that till now. Don't know why?

Tracktools are different because the battery gets fully charged regularly by an external charger with right characteristics, so the wrong characteritics doesn't play a big role. 2nd a tracktool has much less consumers means the AH needed is much smaller=less stress=longer lifespan for the battery.
Thanks for your info Helldriver.

My brother have been using lithium batteries in all his road cars for years ( currently 4 cars) and not one has failed or died on him ( way over 3 years and still going strong).

He do however keep all cars trickle charged at all times.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And for the price, what a weight saving, I pay more than that for gym membership each year for my wife to lose a couple of kilos kkkkkkkk.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts