Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After plenty of rumors, denials and leaked images that looked like a photoshop hack job, Audi has officially taken the wraps off the E-Tron Concept, an electric R8… of sorts.

And if you still find it all hard to believe, it might take some convincing to accept that the car’s power output numbers are for real. The car makes a modest 313hp and a ridiculous 3,319 ft-lbs of torque. That’s no typo.

With all that power you would think this electric exotic could muster up a better 0-62 mph time than 4.8 seconds. The car’s total weight is 3527 lbs, although over 1,000 lbs of that is the battery pack situated behind the passenger compartment but ahead of the rear axle.

Like a true Audi, the E-tron is a quattro car with individual electric motors at each wheel, powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. Audi says that this allows the E-Tron an incredible amount of cornering ability, as power can be distributed to each wheel individually.

More: Frankfurt 2009: Audi E-Tron Electric R8 is For Real on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm disappointed with the specs on this car, i was hoping for Audi to have done something that makes you say wow like you do when you see the specs for a Tesla. The fact that this has a 154mile range isn't good at all to me so it's put me right off.

I don't think electric cars will be the future is the mile range is this low...cars running on Air is what we need to have!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I don't think electric cars will be the future is the mile range is this low...cars running on Air is what we need to have!
The first hybrid didn't have the gas mileage that the hybrids today have. All new technology starts expensive and not as refined as a few iterations will make. The Prius is a prime example in cars.

Look at what CDs originally cost. Look at the cost of the early CD burners. 2X burn speed and $200. These days? You can burn an entire DVD in the time it took the old ones to burn a simple CD and they can be had for $30-$50.

I think we're really seeing the first wave of the e-car revolution, so we'll see what things are like in a decade or so.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You are probly right :p Hopefully by the time it goes into production the specs will be slightly better. If the mile range was 200-300 i would definately consider it but we ar eyet to see charging time etc so more will be revealed soon hopefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts