Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

At long last, its here; Audi’s R8 Spyder. With rumors of the car emerging almost simultaneously with the launch of the original V8-powered R8, it’s been a long time coming.

Powered by the Lamborghini sourced 5.2-liter V10, the Spyder makes 525hp, allowing it to hit 62 mph in 4.1 seconds and blast on to a top speed of 195 mph!

What might be most impressive about the drop-top R8 is that the exotic German sports car only weighs 13.23 lbs more than the Coupe, thanks in part to the R8’s already stiff chassis and a light-weight soft-top instead of a retractable hard top. The total curb weight of the car is now 3,792 lbs. Additional weight savings were made through the use of carbon fiber for not only the side blades but also the rear tonneau cover for the soft top.

As for the soft-top, it opens and closes in just 19 seconds at speeds up to 31 mph and Audi claims the interior noise with the top up is almost identical to that of the coupe.

As for the style of the R8 Spyder, it is certainly stunning, with a bold chrome grille, gloss black detailing and a rear tonneau cover with large vents. Special Y-spoke wheels in a 19-inch fitment complete the design with 235/35/19 tires up front and 295/30 tires out back. For added grip, Audi also offers the R8 Spyder with 305-wide rear tires.

No U.S. Pricing has yet to be set, but in Europe it runs 156,400 euros.

More: Frankfurt 2009: Audi R8 Spyder World Premiere on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
So far the red one is the better looking of the 3 (not including the first black spy shot.) It does look great and the side scoops are growing on me so as soon as pricing and ordering info is out i'll look into getting one :D

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Like he said in the vid...A California dream ride. Many dry days here. Remember..Cali is 20 yrs. overdue for the 100 year flood. Its' gotta come someday. :eek: But it's still not as pretty as the F 430 'vert. I.M.O. :cool: That Pearl white 'aint too bad.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I hope you haven't just jinxed me for when i'm in cali :p Have yet to decide whether its Cali or Nevada tho so i'll let you off atm ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can anybody verify the exact color of this R8 Spyder? It looks to be an actual Pearl white instead of the metallic Suzuka Gray. Perhaps this is the rumored Inuit Perleffeckt? It has a different sheen, looks great!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm not sure what the exact colour is but i'm guessing it looks different than it does in the pic, lighting would of had an effect on it at that point.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It has a hood for rain i think :eek: And no it doesn't look ugly with it up, their advertising the car with the hood down because people want to see it like that. People aren't going to buy the car to think 'oh its really sunny i can put the hood down but i won't because it looks better this way' or 'its raining but i'll keep the hood down because i don't want to be driving an ugly car' they'll put it up and down regardless of the looks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts