Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheels are balanced and aligned. Only above 70 mph, can come and go with in 5 or 10 minutes of driving on smooth highway. Any ideas?? Thank you

·
Registered
73 Posts
You might have thrown a wheel weight off. I've had that happen. Wheels were balanced and aligned. But for some reason a few months later, one of the weights fell off. Your problem sounds very similar to mine. Look at your wheels and you might even be able to see where the missing weight was. Or else you will have to take it to your alignment shop to have them figure out which wheel is the culprit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it, by any chance, speed dependent? My S3 had a hum at about 45MPH and a transient vibration (from right to left) at about 75MPH. My R8 has very similar symptoms (40MPH and 85MPH). The S3 was a bent wheel, whereas the R8 is a wheel bearing. The only difference has been that with the R8 you can feel it vibrate a bit more when you turn the wheel to the right, versus left. If there's no hum and no resonating sound in the cabin then it's probably not a wheel or wheel bearing.

·
Vendor
272 Posts
Double check your wheel bearings for sure. If everything else checks out as far as the tire being balanced etc, that is where I would look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From your description have an expert take a look at the front tires. My M5 had one delaminate after hitting a pothole - very hard to notice, wheels were balanced but the tire problem caused the steering wheel to shake a bit at a narrow band of speed on the highway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From your description have an expert take a look at the front tires. My M5 had one delaminate after hitting a pothole - very hard to notice, wheels were balanced but the tire problem caused the steering wheel to shake a bit at a narrow band of speed on the highway.
Agreed. Delaminated belt, broken belt or sidewall bulge. I had a bulge on the inside of one of my tires on my Supra that showed the same symptoms. Dangerous if it blows out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts