Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! Would really appreciate your advise. Purchased a 2014 Spyder from a local Audi dealer. Since it came from out of state where no front plate is required, it had the front grill filler. When I purchased the car, I said although it looks better without the plate, I don't want to draw further attention to the vehicle by violating CA law, so I need a front plate installed, and wanted it to be returned to stock condition as if the car was ordered without the filler piece. I was told they would order the part and call me when it arrives.
Just got an email from the dealer informing me that in order to return to stock non-filler condition, the front grill would need to be replaced, at a cost of $1,700. They then stated since they are not prepared to cover that cost, they offered to drill the front plate into the grill to attach. If it indeed costs that much to rectify, would prefer not to take a hard line with them on replacement, as they already came through for me with another issue. So I'm seeking input as to any other options to install a front plate when a filler piece exists, that would look at least as good as the stock setup. Also wondered if the front filler piece was drilled, could that be replaced at the time the car was sold, in case the new owner did not want a front plate, or holes in the grill.
Thanks for any info and advise you could offer. I'm looking forward to being a part of this great forum!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Keep the front plate off. I haven't had a front plate in the 6 years I've driven the R8 as a dailly driver. If you get a fixit ticket, use adhesive to put the plate temporarily on the bumper and pay the small fine. Happened once one my previous Porsche.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep the front plate off. I haven't had a front plate in the 6 years I've driven the R8 as a dailly driver. If you get a fixit ticket, use adhesive to put the plate temporarily on the bumper and pay the small fine. Happened once one my previous Porsche.
Thanks for the quick response Maegeri. No doubt it looks much cleaner without the front plate. My concern is that it might serve as a red flag, giving law enforcement an excuse to stop you in what otherwise be a non-issue and non-stop situation.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have the same thoughts even though I see some cars here with no front license plate I am planing to put the new RS black front grill and then a license plate sticker.. something like this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same thoughts even though I see some cars here with no front license plate I am planing to put the new RS black front grill and then a license plate sticker.. something like this
I'm hoping there is some way to attach a bracket on the filler portion of the grill without the need for drilling.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
You are in luck! We have the a 2014 front license plate panel in stock!
You can just apply this straight to your existing front grille - no need to buy a new grille or drill holes in your old one.

Retail for the set (2 pieces) is $715
Our price is $350 shipped - excellent used condition

Kind regards

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can just apply this straight to your existing front grille - no need to buy a new grille or drill holes in your old one.

Kind regards
How does this attach to the existing grill? Can you provide a picture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Kind regards
Certainly would be a cost effective resolution to my problem. Just concerned about the look after attaching to an existing grill with the filler panel. I would like it to have the original stock look of a grill without the filler panel, and don't know if this would achieve that goal. If not, a suggestion from members on attaching a license plate bracket to the existing filler panel area without drilling would also be most appreciated.

·
Read Only
68 Posts
A plate sticker on the hood?
I would keep it off

You have also this option
I bought a kit like this. Had a cop sign off my ticket then I removed the plate cause it's ugly.
In CA, if you get a ticket you can usually just pay the fine but if a cop stops you and gives a ticket you may have to show you fixed it.

We moved to North Carolina where we don't need no stinkin front plate!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I bought a kit like this. Had a cop sign off my ticket then I removed the plate cause it's ugly.
In CA, if you get a ticket you can usually just pay the fine but if a cop stops you and gives a ticket you may have to show you fixed it.

We moved to North Carolina where we don't need no stinkin front plate!
That was the best option you took :)
So these kits are not legal either? I think here in Sweden with license plate sticker people has no issues with the police

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
The center trim of the grille can be removed, however it requires the front bumper come off and the back of the grille needs to be heated up to release the glue that holds the center trim to the grille. Then the center trim is replaced with a piece that has two holes for lining up the plate holder and one of the horizontal trims is omitted for a more seamless fit with the US plate holder that is attached as a second piece.

It's a lot of work to install a US plate on the facelift models that did not come with a holder mounted. At that point you may want to upgrade to a new grille, there are various styles to choose from. Possibly the dealership would cover the labor if you purchased the parts.

If you need more assistance don't hesitate to PM or email: [email protected]

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
I'd just leave it off, honestly.

My car doesn't have it, either, and CT requires a front plate. I've not had anyone say anything. In all honesty, I think when they see an R8, they're largely staring at the car and not searching for a plate. That said, I don't drive on the highway often - where radar guns are usually fixated on plates. If that's the case, you may get stopped more often as it becomes obvious there's no plate to aim their radar at! :)

If it's a DD, maybe consider it. But if it's a weekend/fun car, I'd just leave it off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 to just leave it off and take your chances. I've had my R8 for 18 months with no front plate and never had an issue. Asked a number of friends who don't install a front plate and NONE of them have EVER been stopped - some with no plate on any of their cars for 20 years. It's a small risk...but a very, very small risk and a very small fine in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've removed front license plates on my cars for years. Pro Tip: keep your new car windshield sticker on your windshield. I understand when cops don't see a plate they look for that sticker. If they see it, they assume the car was just purchased and plates are in process....

I've never been stopped for that, knock on carbon fiber.

I've was stopped by a cop a few months ago. He checked out the car, asked what it was and sent me on my way. No mention of the plate during the encounter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too bought a kit like this for my 2017 R8 gen 2 but the mounting screw was the wrong size, too small for the tow hook female screws. Did yours really screw into the mount? where did you buy it?

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
For years I ran without a plate but got pulled over a couple times for it and then last year because of another little issue I had I wanted to give them no reason to pull me over so came up with a way to mount without drilling any holes. I went to Home Depot and got something like this in picture hanging section, http://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-L-x-1-in-W-x-1-4-in-D-Perforated-Steel-Straps-6DH12/100396920, they have assorted pieces an I found one that had holes that actually lined up with holes in plate, if you can't could just drill. I then went to auto parts store and got a license plate frame in gloss black to match grille. You will want to get one that only has top holes since where you mount it wont have clearance to put screw in bottom. I found one that had dummy black caps on the bottom holes so it would match the black screw caps I used on top. Then just get a couple screws long enough and nuts. Just put the sheet metal piece behind the slats under plate filler and mount plate to that. Another thing I did to make sure plate would not rattle is cut some double sided trim tape to stick bottom of plate to frame holder. I thought it looked ok.

Click to enlarge
plate.jpg

There is another option that involves drilling holes but they are under the plate filler http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml. I bought the kit but never used as I thought plate looked better down lower

·
Registered
13 Posts
We too just purchased a 2017 R8 in VA that doesn't require a front plate but live in MD that does. My brother (Pantera owner) just found a place that says they have a tow hook plate holder that will fit. Search for GMG Motorsports in WA state. The webpage doesn't show the new product but I would give them a call.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts