Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

New to the forum and new to the R8.

My story...purchased from the owner an 09' V8 six-speed with 21k miles. No inspection done, car was mint and drove great with no visible issues. 4 hour drive back to home, tank was topped off by the owner although the gauge read 3/4. About 2.5 hours into the drive the tank reads Half way full with messaging to that effect. Make a quick stop, restart the car and on way again...the fuel gauge jumped to empty. So I panic & u-turn to get some fuel...rounding up to some $ cents "after" the pump kickes off, as I always do in my other cars. Tank still reads empty, I proceed home.

The next day I add some Techron Chevron fuel cleaner and also disconnect the battery(attemp to reset things) and now get a permanent "Tank Malfunction" message. On Saturday I take the car to Audi service, awaiting diagnostics on Monday. Brief conversation with Salesman...."yup seen that before on two other R8's... back half of the car needs to be removed so the engine can come out to access one of the two fuel pumps, the cost for R & R is going to be a huge amount of $$$".

I've owned a BMW 8-Series since mid 2000 and did all the upkeep. Removing an engine is out of my league.

Any ideas what to really expect to resolve this issue along with a realistic repair path?

Found this T&B:
TSB #TSB-20-09-10 -NHTSA ID #10033214
Summary: AUDI: FUEL GAUGE READS EMPTY AFTER REFUELING (DTCS 00438, 00771, 00439, OR 00251). DUE TO THE OF SECTIONS OF CABLE IN THE AREA OF THE 2 PIN PLUG IN CONNECTIONS (INSIDE THE FUEL TANK) BETWEEN THE FUEL TANK LOCKING FLANGES AND THE FUEL GAUG

Thanks for any feedback,
MOTZ in mid-Florida

UPDATE: Should have dug through some threads b4 posting. For a V8 coupe, looks like a 6 hour job at the stealer and only the rear cap of the car needs removal..assuming just one of the pumps needs replaced and that's it.

info found here:
http://www.r8talk.com/forums/60-maintenance-service/54441-tank-malfunction.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The quote today was 8 hrs and 1600 out the door for the "harness update" replacement.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I did the clutch on my car with a couple friends. It's not hard to take off the rear bumper and whatever else you need to do to get to the pumps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tech was able to access and replace the fuel sending bits from behind the seats. The rear shelf was removed to expose the area where the fuel level float and cap with wire harness parts would be replaced. The engine compartment was not accessed at all.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I had the same problem with my '09 V8. They had to order new sending unit from Germany. Mine was covered under warranty so I don't know the cost. I posted details back in November 2012.

I will never again put even a drop of fuel in the car after it shuts off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mngolfer, Is that what causes the issue? Putting fuel in with the car turned off?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understood this as after the Station gas pump shuts off i.e. the gas pump handle recognized your tank is full so auto shuts off. Bad idea to pump more fuel after that occurs as over filling may cause damage to the fuel level sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
That is correct. Once the pump clicks off stop pumping.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
That doesn't make any difference as its the shut off valve in the neck that causes the fuel pump to cut off. That is way above max travel for the sender units (there are 4) in the tank.

There are 2 that handle full to half and then 2 that handle half to empty as the tank is L shape.

Depending on what sender has failed its either remove the fuel pumps from behind the seats (the lower sender units are built in) or if you need the upper sender units then it is engine and tanks out!

Experience says its the loom in between them and can be accessed from inside the car, this was only very early cars mind.

The error code is to say one of the tank senders has an issue.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Ricky

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid for 4 new sender units. Replacement did not involve engine out for any of them and all were handled from behind the seat....so I was told by Audi. Initially I expected engine out for this job and was surprised\grateful that did not happen.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
That's some good work then!! I bet someone struggled like hell!

The best way to describe changing pumps on these is like decorating your living room through your letter box!

Glad it is sorted!

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to know about the fueling. I just had this issue fixed. Extended warranty paid for itself. The bill would have been just under $1200 at Jim Ellies Audi in Atlanta Ga.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey guys,

facing the same issue with my 2008 V8. it first started after my 10 year service early 2019 when taking back my car and seeing that the needle is on empty. I complained to my car manager, thinking that they have taken my car on a joy ride and emptied the fuel tank as I was sure it had 1/2 a tank when I took it into the Audi dealership for my routine yearly maintenance. Since the covid lock down (I have not been driving the car much), I have been facing the same issue on and off. But for the past 4 weeks (driving the car 4 times), the issue has been permanent. Is it worth addressing the issue with the dealership, or shall I ignore it for now? I heard someone mention detaching the battery then plugging it right back, any idea if that helps? Thanks!

OT
4.2 V8 fsi (2008), QuickSilver Exhaust Titan SuperSport

1 - 16 of 16 Posts