Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a decision. I need to move out of country for at least a year. I can try to store my R8 or sell it--which I just put out a feeler to sell and have a firm good offer over sticker for it. Since I was planning on getting a V10 when it comes out, that sounds ok. My dealer took my order to be first for a V10 (or V12 if ever), but now he may be renigning saying that they may not get more than 2 more for the life of the R8--where they thought it would be a total over the years of 9. (They have so far received 2 and have 2 other orders not alocated) in. I think he is making this up to free up them to sell to others at above (way??) sticker--as he had the deal with me to sell at sticker. Does anyone at all have any real info on future R8s being made/available in even less quanities in the US (as he implies)> As I was under the impression there would be more (not many-not less), or the US not getting as many? I really think they know/think they can get more than what they promised me and this is their way of dumping me. By the way, I have been a good customer of theirs and always had good service--but I believe they are getting greedy. So do I sell with the hope of geting another R8 within a year or two or hold on to mine--without driving and storing it. I would hate to lose out and not have an R8. My inclination is to sell now while I can and buy later---but don't know if this will even be possible. Any QUICK inside info will be very helpful.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some truth in the US getting fewer cars than originally expected a year or so ago. A lot of this is weak Dollar so Audi can sell R8's in just about every other part of the world and get a much better profit on them. Who knows about the V10 version yet...Bottom line, no one really knows the rules and the rules are subject to change without notice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
another thing i noticed is that the average asking price 2 months ago on ebay has been around $145-150K. i noticed a few now at the $165-180K range, used with miles.

Seems it may be harder to get. Only the Audi insiders know. Most cars are going to be selling outside of the USA from what I heard as well.

A local dealer said he may have orders waiting for at least 2 years.

Did you think of leasing it to someone while you're gone? Or at least take it with you. It's fun in part of the world.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had drinks with the manager of my Audi dealership yesterday. he told me last year he received 1-2 R8s per month...and sold them for an average of over $30k over list. Since May he's been getting about 1 R8 every 2 months with even fewer on the horizon. There is a building frustration with his customers waiting for one.

He received his first 2009 last week (which sold immediately for significant $ over list) and does not know when his next one is coming in due to (what he's being told) Audi cutting back US allocation for 2009 model.

He has very little motivation to lie to me...but I don't know where his information is coming from so this could be taken at face value.

Bottom line does seem to be that one of the largest Audi dealerships in the USA is getting less than half the R8 allocation previously expected. He suspects the reason is (as mentioned above) the Euro strength against the dollar....but he has not been given a real reason from Audi NA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Robot, which dealership in L.A. are you talking about? Rusnak? I've heard various things about the availability of 2009s, most recently, that there are all sold out and there's a 2 year wait.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting and many thanks. I guess no one really knows, but it does seem reasonable that they cut back at USA because of the dollar. So, I have to decide yet. At this stage, I am leaning towards holding keeping it (75%) unless I get an offer that I assume will cover my future--but main thing is I want to keep or have an R8 later when I return and would hate to miss out. I never thought about leasing as an individual-figuring it was way too impractical/unsafe from many points of view-mainly like seeing your car run into the ground.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why keep it? You may want a different car when you return... Take the money and run, they will eventually depreciate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts