Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the R8 Owners Manual (for U.S. and Canada cars) and found something I have not seen mentioned elsewhere.

The manual (page 189) says that it is critical to use a gas with very good detergent additives and that in recent years many major brands have reduced their detergent additives to unsuitable levels. According to the http://toptiergas.com/ website the manual said to check, the following brands are the only ones that meet Audi's R8 standards:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

This list surprised me, both by including some discount brands and by not including some premium brands, such as Mobil and BP.

This is the first I've ever heard about premium brands in the U.S. being deficient in their abilities to protect engine components. Does anyone here have any perspective on this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe this is a more critical issue with direct injection?
I always knew the additive package varied brand to brand, but a safe assumption was buying premium insured sufficient additives. Perhaps this is not the case anymore?

·
Registered
274 Posts
interesting...
looks like it is basically saying to buy gas from well known suppliers-
no disagreement there- i already do that with my other cars!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think they call it CYA in manual speak.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that it's always a good idea to buy brand-name gas. But I'm still suprised to see some premium-priced brands (such as BP-Amoco and Exxon-Mobil) missing from this list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts