Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I had this message flashed on my dashboard: "Gearbox Malfunction. You can continue to drive but gearbox functions will be limited."
It obviously scare the s... out of me! I sent it to Audi service centre the next day and after 2 days of testing and checking they could not find anything wrong. They saw the log in the car's computer system but could not figure out why. Has anyone experienced it before and what do u think is wrong with it?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
what do u think is wrong with it?
The problem is that the car is not an "it", it's a "her". Obviously, she caught you admiring that Porsche Turbo going the other way. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
my car does the same from time to time, it goes and comes, i think its just a computer malfunction, theres nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same here, happened couple of times, message comes and goes ..

Don't worry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. Happened to me and gearbox had to be replaced; just got home with it and a few days later can't drive it past 3rd gear. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Needless to say, not happy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me for the past few months, comes and goes, and lately every day, slips 3rd gear and sort of coughs and splutters into 4th. I did the always open valve modification with the screws when I first got the car and was wondering if it had anything to do with it, so I put it back to standard, and never had the problem again, definitely related!!
Car doesn't sound as good now.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Any update on this? Just happened to me (09' V8 R-Tronic / 20K miles) - got the error but continued to drive home.
For most of us that have had this it's very sporadic (a couple of times for me in 45,000km). It typically goes away and is most often just due to one of the many sensors having a hiccup. If it persists or becomes more regular then get it checked out.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I wrote up something on this back in June of 2010. I have no clue how to find the post.

If I remember correctly...There are two sensors that MUST agree with each other on the position of the gear in the gearbox or you get a message light. My dealer replaced one of the sensors and I have never had the problem since.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have now the same problem when I drive it hard it shows that error. when I turn off the car it goes and drive it again hard it shows back. the transmission shift seem ok I will try to get dongle OBDII to read the error.
my question to anyone had this problem before when message comes did notice any kind of restriction on the transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts