Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm 90% sure I'm going to go the coil route, and was thinking Gt coils would be the best choice. I have also found the H&R RSS + coils to look great, and of course there is V3's which would be a little overkill IMO. I'd like to spend around 3-4K max ish.

Any other options, and coilover guys, please chime in as well on your experiences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’ve got some KW V3 waiting to go on my gen1
They are exceptional quality and if you shop around (here in the UK) you can get them with the plug in electronic parts to trick the computer into thinking the original shocks are still fitted for £3300 all in.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Ohlins are another excellent coilover, but not sure of prices in the US.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning heavily towards GT coils, with RSS+ in second.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I always relate Ohlins as motorbike shocks, top quality motorbike shocks.
Yes they are very popular with high-end bikes such as Ducati and MV, but also widely used in motorsport applications in cars.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I'm leaning heavily towards GT coils, with RSS+ in second.
GT coils are a good choice as they are already correcty valved and sprung for the R8. The downside is the damping is fixed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm okay with fixed dampening, I really would like to just lower the minimum 10mm from stock, and set/forget it.

I do like that they are specifically optimized for the type 42.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you are just looking to lower and have the nice stock ride, there are a couple of options just adding threaded spring perches and replacing stock springs.

but if you want full coilovers, another option not mentioned is JRZ.

·
Super Moderator
3,605 Posts
H&R lowering springs are good for -10mm. I've had them on my V8 for many years now and am very happy with them. No need to go with the HAS.

·
Chassis Engineer
201 Posts
Ohlins are another excellent coilover, but not sure of prices in the US.
The Ohlins TTX kit for Gen 1 is $5,370 plus $510 for mag ride delete. This Ohlins tune is more track biased. Our Ahlman Performance R/T tune (springs and damping) of these TTX's is $5,500 plus the same mag ride delete. see details here Audi R8 Coilovers - for Gen 1 - Ohlins TTX Suspension

Our R/T tune for the Ohlins TTX's give a ride as good as stock (mag ride comfort mode) and better including for body control, rough road grip, handling, steering feel and linearity. Feel free to call with any questions.

·
Chassis Engineer
201 Posts
I always relate Ohlins as motorbike shocks, top quality motorbike shocks.
For sure Ohlins heritage is with bikes, but we have been using them in IndyCar and NASCAR for 30 years. Koenigsegg uses them for their cars. And they have suspension setups now for many hundred performance cars. With these TTX versions being the highest performance. The motorcycle heritage is good for exotic cars in that they have a similar duty cycle, which often includes a lot of sitting / storage. The Ohlins seals are designed to deal with this usage and not have any issues (and low friction) while many "racing" shocks like Penske's use a "wet seal" for low friction but they lose fluid with every stroke. Not a big deal on a race race that has the shocks rebuilt many times a week. Problematic for exotic cars because their dampers end up empty by the end of the driving season or before.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I have the H&R RSS+ and can say they are ride and feel great. Can't go wrong with KWV3, have had these on all of my other cars but chose to try something different this go around.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought very light use GT coils, plus edc delete modules. Best option for me for durability and oem parts.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They sit 10 to 25 mm lower, that’s the range. I’m planning on doing the minimum 10 mm at this point, possibly lower eventually

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got KW V3's on my 2012 V10 and have been very pleased. Noticeable improvement in how the car feels on turns and they were able to set the ride height to match stock (can always lower with a quick adjustment). Would def recommend

1 - 20 of 22 Posts