Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning my car today and came across this marking on the rear driver side alloy.

If you run your finger over it, it feels like the alloy surface has split as there’s a clear “ripple” in the surface.

Anyone seen similar before and if so, any idea if it’s cosmetic or structural damage? I’m 99.9% sure I’ve not hit anything!!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Can't be certain from the picture, Reece, but it looks like it could be a fracture.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
As Trev said, looks like a hairline crack! hope it's just the surface coating that's damaged.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely a crack and looks surface rather than anything else.

I wondered if any owners had seen similar symptoms on their cars and what the fix was?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've had this same fright on another car. It looked just like a crack, as yours does, but luckily it was just some road tar. If it is a crack, you'll need to replace it, so go ahead and see if it won't scrape off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had this same fright on another car. It looked just like a crack, as yours does, but luckily it was just some road tar. If it is a crack, you'll need to replace it, so go ahead and see if it won't scrape off.
Thanks. Thinking about it, that sounds quite plausible. I'll have a check and come back to you. Cheers GT#298.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion of thinking differently - bit of elbow grease and alloy cleaner and ta da..... mark gone.

Cheers to my friend across the pond!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Great result Reece and a huge thumbs-up for the wealth of knowledge on here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts