Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we have a basic low spoiler or the duck spoiler are there any other options?

gen 2 has so many more options and especially the vorsteiner wing looks amazing

·
Registered
125 Posts
To my knowledge, there are:
Lip style (3 piece stick on)
GT Style
High GT Style (just taller version of GT)
Duck Bill (I like these honestly, but never seen a version that wasn't quite expensive - like what I have better)
Prior Designs (Big wing)
Maxton Designs (Big wing)
APR (BIGGGGG wing)
Vorsteiner Gen 2 modded (I believe someone has gotten a gen 2 vorsteiner to work on a Gen 1 - don't think it fits well personally from what I remember, but taste is super subjective - no idea how they managed it)

The APR was a bit too much for my tastes (for a street car), the prior designs is expensive and I don't think it fits the car well - very straight lines on a naturally curvy car.

I have the Maxton, only ever saw the renders on their site when I bought it, took a risk and am quite happy. I think it fits the car well (end plate plane lines up with the slope of the quarter well, curve matches natural curve of bumper, etc). Still haven't seen it on any other car (in person or pictures). It's heavy, but well built and bolts into existing locations on the frame of the hatch. Had it on the track and to high speeds with no issues. Does require paint/wrap. End caps are just ok if you look closely, might have some dry carbon ones made eventually. Makes the hatch heavy enough that the struts don't like it (stays up sometimes, sometimes needs a prop if not on perfectly level ground or nose down).

At work so I can't post photos, but I have a bunch on my instagram (@driven_rmg) if you're curious.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audi-R8-Bi-Turbo-1.jpg

very interested in how to get this spoiler wagenworks car has this and they had a different version of it also

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks like a custom job to me, that's always an option, but it won't be cheap. Could ping them and find out.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
To my knowledge, there are:
Lip style (3 piece stick on)
GT Style
High GT Style (just taller version of GT)
Duck Bill (I like these honestly, but never seen a version that wasn't quite expensive - like what I have better)
Prior Designs (Big wing)
Maxton Designs (Big wing)
APR (BIGGGGG wing)
Vorsteiner Gen 2 modded (I believe someone has gotten a gen 2 vorsteiner to work on a Gen 1 - don't think it fits well personally from what I remember, but taste is super subjective - no idea how they managed it)

The APR was a bit too much for my tastes (for a street car), the prior designs is expensive and I don't think it fits the car well - very straight lines on a naturally curvy car.

I have the Maxton, only ever saw the renders on their site when I bought it, took a risk and am quite happy. I think it fits the car well (end plate plane lines up with the slope of the quarter well, curve matches natural curve of bumper, etc). Still haven't seen it on any other car (in person or pictures). It's heavy, but well built and bolts into existing locations on the frame of the hatch. Had it on the track and to high speeds with no issues. Does require paint/wrap. End caps are just ok if you look closely, might have some dry carbon ones made eventually. Makes the hatch heavy enough that the struts don't like it (stays up sometimes, sometimes needs a prop if not on perfectly level ground or nose down).

At work so I can't post photos, but I have a bunch on my instagram (@driven_rmg) if you're curious.
Yours looks great!! I couldn't find that one when I was looking, went with a PPD one.
1.jpg

2.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
thought so, I am not in love with the the front one I put on, and may switch it to Maxton, where did you order from?
I bought through a vendor on the forums (UltimatePD I believe, I'd have to double check). I was buying all 3 at the same time and he was able to source the wing much more quickly than anywhere else I checked. I've heard the splitter is available on Amazon sometimes for a good price. Regardless, it's a really reasonably priced item from what I've seen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 238562

very interested in how to get this spoiler wagenworks car has this and they had a different version of it also
Yup, this is hands down the best looking big wang I’ve seen for the R8. But I hit them up on YouTube when I first saw it and they sent me down a path that clearly was not the same one.

Did not mount formed to the rear fascia like that. Must be custom mounts. I’ve never even been able to find the same upper and was going to just machine my own mounts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Would be interested to understand what you think of the quality of this wing, I’m considering it myself. Was it easy to fit and have you done any high speed driving with it on?
The wing did come unpainted, so it needed to be prepped and painted by a bodyshop. It was a little annoying lining it up with the baseplate for drilling the installation holes, but shouldnt be a problem with 2 people and some painters tape. Maxton had told me people have gone 130+ mph with the wing and no issues. It does have some shake to it like the other GT wings that mount to the baseplate. You can install brackets for extra security if you're worried.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The wing did come unpainted, so it needed to be prepped and painted by a bodyshop. It was a little annoying lining it up with the baseplate for drilling the installation holes, but shouldnt be a problem with 2 people and some painters tape. Maxton had told me people have gone 130+ mph with the wing and no issues. It does have some shake to it like the other GT wings that mount to the baseplate. You can install brackets for extra security if you're worried.
Thanks APOLLOSKI that’s great, I may give this one a shot and add the brackets too.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with German Rush‘s GT carbon wing. They are local to me, installed and deactivated the auto spoiler. Very happy with them and I’ll be buying more shortly...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry a "PPD" wing?
It looks great! Where can I buy it? 😊
@wiredup has a prior designs PD wing from their GT650 line for the Gen 1 I believe. I was considering it before I found the Maxton I have.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@wiredup has a prior designs PD wing from their GT650 line for the Gen 1 I believe. I was considering it before I found the Maxton I have.
Ahaa! Prior Design. Ok yes they look ok but I heard all Prior Design kits are really heavy. I wonder how much that prior design wing weight?

You know the weight for the Maxton wing?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahaa! Prior Design. Ok yes they look ok but I heard all Prior Design kits are really heavy. I wonder how much that prior design wing weight?

You know the weight for the Maxton wing?
I don't know the weight - I imagine the Prior Design's wing is similar construction, a big wing that's sturdy is going to weigh a decent amount unless you use expensive materials. Upside is the Maxton is super solid, I've had it on track and seen 170+ mph with zero issues. It ties into the hatch frame directly. I'd assume the Prior Design's is similar. Only real downside is the Maxton is just heavy enough the hatch doesn't like to stay open on its own sometimes -_-

To me, there's two reasons to have a wing: performance or appearance. Most wings fall in the appearance category, given that the speeds required to need a wing are really rare unless you track regularly. If it's for appearance, is it worth worrying about a little extra weight on a ~3600 lb car?

Obviously a personal opinion, but I wouldn't worry about the weight unless it's a track car... in which case try and source an LMX/GT3 R8 wing or use the APR setup.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts