Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
I don't know the weight - I imagine the Prior Design's wing is similar construction, a big wing that's sturdy is going to weigh a decent amount unless you use expensive materials. Upside is the Maxton is super solid, I've had it on track and seen 170+ mph with zero issues. It ties into the hatch frame directly. I'd assume the Prior Design's is similar. Only real downside is the Maxton is just heavy enough the hatch doesn't like to stay open on its own sometimes -_-

To me, there's two reasons to have a wing: performance or appearance. Most wings fall in the appearance category, given that the speeds required to need a wing are really rare unless you track regularly. If it's for appearance, is it worth worrying about a little extra weight on a ~3600 lb car?

Obviously a personal opinion, but I wouldn't worry about the weight unless it's a track car... in which case try and source an LMX/GT3 R8 wing or use the APR setup.

Well i wpuld like to have both apperance and performance ofc 馃槄馃憤 Why I asked is since I like both the Maxton and the Prior D wing, but if one of them is maybe twice as heavy, than I will choose the lightest of them ofc. 馃憤

Registered
I don't know the weight - I imagine the Prior Design's wing is similar
Diablosangelis you are the only one I have found using this wing and even when Im mailing Maxton about the wing they have barely any information at all. If you have some information about the maxton wing that you would like to share to us all it would very much appreciated.

Maybe pictures of the brackets and how its fastend into the car, maybe you know how wide the wing is?

(The PD wing is 60.5inches,153cm which is about the same as the smaller APR300 wing)

Registered
Maxton design has a normal sized GT wing as well.

View attachment 239824
I love this wing because it looks OEM with a slight twist to make it unique. It鈥檚 also less common than the GT-style. I went as far as purchasing the wing, but it鈥檚 still in the box because I was not able to find it in carbon fiber so I鈥檝e been trying to find a local person that can overlay for me. Still no luck so I may sell. Do you know if the place that you got yours sells a carbon fiber version?

Registered
I love this wing because it looks OEM with a slight twist to make it unique. It鈥檚 also less common than the GT-style. I went as far as purchasing the wing, but it鈥檚 still in the box because I was not able to find it in carbon fiber so I鈥檝e been trying to find a local person that can overlay for me. Still no luck so I may sell. Do you know if the place that you got yours sells a carbon fiber version?
Maxton doesn't make a carbon fiber option. Your best bet would be to have it wrapped in vinyl closely matching the oem blades. Honestly, it would probably still look better than any overlay...those can get sloppy.

Registered
Diablosangelis you are the only one I have found using this wing and even when Im mailing Maxton about the wing they have barely any information at all. If you have some information about the maxton wing that you would like to share to us all it would very much appreciated.

Maybe pictures of the brackets and how its fastend into the car, maybe you know how wide the wing is?

(The PD wing is 60.5inches,153cm which is about the same as the smaller APR300 wing)
I'm at work so can't do many pictures at the moment, I'll try and get some soon. I have some on my Insta (@driven_rmg) that can probably show off most angles and features. I can try and get some measurements as well.

I have yet to see this on any other car, the pictures on their website look like renders, not sure if they're just heavily edited, and I was unable to find a single review or other owner online that has it. I bought it blind and am honestly thrilled with how well it turned out. It's not perfect by any means, but I think it looks really good, fits the body lines of the car really well, and is super structurally sound.

Don't know the weight. Didn't do the install personally, but was told it was fairly simple. It has two bolts on each bracket that pass through the panel on the hatch (forward of the stock spoiler) and connect to brackets that pick up existing holes in the hatch frame. It's heavy, but extremely sturdy (track day, 170+ mph, etc). It is solid, not hollow, and the fasteners to the bracket and end-caps are threaded into the wing itself. Has to be paint matched or wrapped, end caps are carbon-look, not actual carbon (I've thought about having some real ones made, but they look pretty good as is).

Complaints:
Weight - hatch doesn't like to stay up on its own, it will sometimes, but it's right at the limit of the stock gas struts.
Surface for paint - Not sure if the painter did much prep work (doubt it for what I was charged) and you can see subtle imperfections (kind of looks like dents from the right (or wrong) angle). I would think a good painter/body shop could fix it, but most people don't notice unless I point it out.

Maxton doesn't deal with US customers is my understanding, I believe they have two approved US vendors, but UltimatePD on here is who I went through I believe - he was able to source the wing much faster than approved vendors, at a equivalent or better price. I got lip, skirts, and wing from Maxton through him.

EDIT: There are two threads currently where I'm being asked about this wing, so I'll do my best to put together a review this weekend.

Attachments

Registered
Maxton doesn't make a carbon fiber option. Your best bet would be to have it wrapped in vinyl closely matching the oem blades. Honestly, it would probably still look better than any overlay...those can get sloppy.
I guess that would explain why I have not been able to locate a carbon fiber version. I would only perform the overlay if I knew the outcome would be good. That鈥檚 why I will probably end up keeping the GT-style spoiler.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts