Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum based in the UK and have just started searching the market for an Audi R8. Hoping to learn and get more knowledgable on all things R8 by participating on the forum.

I definitely want a coupe and would like to aim for the V10.

I have noticed that for a good example prices are starting as follows:

Gen 1 V10 2013+ it is about £50-55k
Gen 1 V10 Plus £55-60k
Gen 2 V10 £70-75k
Gen 2 V10 Plus £80-85k

So a jump of only about £5-10k between variants and the gap between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is not as wide as I thought it would be. Especially given that the Gen 1 is based on the Gallardo and Gen 2 based on the Hurcan and the gap between those models are a good £50k+.

I would be really interested to know peoples thoughts on what they consider to be the best value V10 variant right now given the spread above?

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
For me, a lot of it comes down to aesthetics. I much prefer the Gen-1 looks over Gen-2. If you need more updated infotainment, Gen-1 is going to feel ancient (and it is) in that regard. But I also prefer the aesthetics of the Gen-1 interior - analog dials, e-brake, shifter, center screen, etc. The Gen-1 V10 or V10+ with S-Tronic is going to give you relatively similar performance to the non-plus Gen-2... but the Gen-2 V10+ (and later Performance) is going to be a much bigger gap. But I'd maintain they're all more than plenty for the road.

Age may be a consideration for you, though. A newer Gen-2 should have less problems than an earlier Gen-1, for instance. But I'd also suggest that the Gen-1's are not extremely problematic, either... but age is age. With age will come more issues.

At the end of the day, if you like each, I'd just cross shop them and see what you find. Value wise, Gen-2 may cost you less to operate, but Gen-1 is probably going to hold value better (further into depreciation territory). Whether you intend to hold it for a few years, a long time, how you'll use it - all considerations that may affect your decision.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Reactions: JDaniel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Frame cracks put me off buying a gen 1. Gen 1 manual v10 might be the best long term buy and has bottomed out in terms of value imo. I think that will be the most sought after R8 in the future.

I’ve noticed gen 2 plus prices seem similar regardless of condition. Even cat cars are £80+.

I want a gen 2 plus but could be tempted by a non plus. I think gen 2’s will depreciate a bit more. Especially with the impending market correction In the uk.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
manual choice limits me to gen 1.

Reactions: dinkman

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in the US, so our prices are different. Right now, a quality 2014 v10 spyder (original msrp 188k) is going for about $120k. A 2017 Spyder with an original msrp of around $195k is still around $150k, but probably won't ever reach $120k unless it has 80k miles or more. I think the 2017-2018 R8's are the best value.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Depends on if you want a manual or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in the US, so our prices are different. Right now, a quality 2014 v10 spyder (original msrp 188k) is going for about $120k. A 2017 Spyder with an original msrp of around $195k is still around $150k, but probably won't ever reach $120k unless it has 80k miles or more. I think the 2017-2018 R8's are the best value.
Much cheaper in the U.K., even with the current weak £ . Especially gen 1

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Frame cracks put me off buying a gen 1.
Frame cracks have been grossly over exaggerated on the web and even considering the low risk it's only cars built before September 2010 that potentially could be at risk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses so far gents.

A few thoughts: -
- I would want to stick with the facelift Gen 1 V10 so I think as much as I would like a manual they are pretty thin on the ground so I suspect I would need to settle for a paddle shift car if I go down this choice of variant.

From the comments so far I understand that the newer the car the less problematic I expect it will be, and the consensus on here seems to be that the Gen 2 offers better value in that respect. With regards to depreciation, I feel as though as the gap between variants is so small if the Gen 2 falls the Gen 1 will fall in line otherwise the gap would be next to nothing.

Aside from value, are the driving dynamics very different between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, as I understand the chassis is completely different with the latter based on the Huracan?

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,569 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far gents.

A few thoughts: -
- I would want to stick with the facelift Gen 1 V10 so I think as much as I would like a manual they are pretty thin on the ground so I suspect I would need to settle for a paddle shift car if I go down this choice of variant.

From the comments so far I understand that the newer the car the less problematic I expect it will be, and the consensus on here seems to be that the Gen 2 offers better value in that respect. With regards to depreciation, I feel as though as the gap between variants is so small if the Gen 2 falls the Gen 1 will fall in line otherwise the gap would be next to nothing.

Aside from value, are the driving dynamics very different between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, as I understand the chassis is completely different with the latter based on the Huracan?
I owned 2 Gen 1 V10 R8s. First a 6 speed manual coupe and a few years later I picked up a 6 speed Spyder. Both were great cars and I truly enjoyed my time with them. That said, I got a Gen 2 V10 Performance Spyder last year and I am beyond thrilled with it. Everything is just better about it..even though its the same motor, it feels completely different in the gen2. It’s a true super car when it comes to performance.

I dont mean to offend any Gen1 owners (flame suit on) but the Gen1 by todays standard is slow, simple as that. Most V8 turbo powered Germany sedans (dare I even say SUVs) would give a gen1 V10 R8 a good run for its money). The interior is dated and has been for many years now…the gen1 R8 was essentially designed in the early to mid 2000s and Audi doesn’t do a good job of updating things during the life cycle, as in the last model year (2015) of the facelifted gen1 R8 has the same infotainment system as a 2008 V8 coupe. Don’t get me wrong, the Gen1 is a classic and will go down in history as such. But given the option, and price not being a huge deciding factor, there is no chance I would take a Gen1 over a Gen2.

Reactions: dinkman and uni11

·
Registered
610 Posts
To each their own, but GEN 2 owners will always say theirs are better due to newer tech whereas GEN 1 (6MT) owners will always prefer theirs due to more timeless design and analog feel.

The (US) market has already spoken though. GEN 1 V10 6MT will continue to appreciate as a timeless analog supercar.

Let's revisit this in a decade or two and see how 'new' GEN2 interior feels with the LCD screen gauges. GEN1 analog gauges are timeless.

Rolex vs. Apple Watch. One is disposable tech that becomes obsolete, the other is an heirloom you pass onto your children.

Smart money would buy pristine LHD EU examples of GEN1 V10 6MTs and export to US to take advantage of the current delta in values.

·
Registered
2008 R8 V8 RTronic
76 Posts
All great cars in there own way.
I have a G1 but if I could justify it would take a G2 everyday.
Infotainment on the G1 is upgradable with apple car play etc for £1k so no big issue there if this is a must. Or like me use an Bluetooth receiver and Spotify etc from phone works a treat and I daily my R8.
Agree with the G2 dash being out of date in 10 years but the G1 becoming analogue and cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I owned 2 Gen 1 V10 R8s. First a 6 speed manual coupe and a few years later I picked up a 6 speed Spyder. Both were great cars and I truly enjoyed my time with them. That said, I got a Gen 2 V10 Performance Spyder last year and I am beyond thrilled with it. Everything is just better about it..even though its the same motor, it feels completely different in the gen2. It’s a true super car when it comes to performance.

I dont mean to offend any Gen1 owners (flame suit on) but the Gen1 by todays standard is slow, simple as that. Most V8 turbo powered Germany sedans (dare I even say SUVs) would give a gen1 V10 R8 a good run for its money). The interior is dated and has been for many years now…the gen1 R8 was essentially designed in the early to mid 2000s and Audi doesn’t do a good job of updating things during the life cycle, as in the last model year (2015) of the facelifted gen1 R8 has the same infotainment system as a 2008 V8 coupe. Don’t get me wrong, the Gen1 is a classic and will go down in history as such. But given the option, and price not being a huge deciding factor, there is no chance I would take a Gen1 over a Gen2.
Good to get some insight into someone who has owned both generations as I expect many in one or the other camp would understandably argue that their choice is the better of the two. When you say it feels completely different, aside from the speed aspect what exactly feels different? is it the handling characteristics, exhaust note, more aggressive or something else?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
@uni11 not sure if you are aware of this but the Gen 1 base is limited on power by Audi but can be disabled with an ECU tune. this gives around 55-60 bhp, costs around £1K and can be done by Ricky.
I had mine done about 3 years ago and consider it essential.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@uni11 not sure if you are aware of this but the Gen 1 base is limited on power by Audi but can be disabled with an ECU tune. this gives around 55-60 bhp, costs around £1K and can be done by Ricky.
I had mine done about 3 years ago and consider it essential.
Thats useful info. I have actually seen a couple of Gen 1 cars with claimed remap figures of closer to 600bhp. I actually was under the impression that the Gen 1 engine was based on the Gallardo LP560-4, and the Gen 2 engine is not quite the same as it is based on the Huracan 610-4 which I assume was quite different. Are the engines infact the same but just a different tune?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thats useful info. I have actually seen a couple of Gen 1 cars with claimed remap figures of closer to 600bhp. I actually was under the impression that the Gen 1 engine was based on the Gallardo LP560-4, and the Gen 2 engine is not quite the same as it is based on the Huracan 610-4 which I assume was quite different. Are the engines infact the same but just a different tune?
Yes they are the same engines essentially with different levels of tune. I think the Gen 2 has a different fuel injection system and the later Plus different cams.

Reactions: uni11
1 - 20 of 26 Posts