Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how to remove the steering wheel airbag cover on a Gen2? Or maybe a link to a video. I can't seem to find one specific to a Gen 2 or any instructions.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No need - I found one

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you share what you found
It's not the greatest video but it gives the basic idea how the cover is attached to the aribag mechanism. I sharpened one srewwdriver and was able to do this fairly easily.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple pics of the finished product.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Rim Motor vehicle

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the complete wheel installed. The red stitching goes great with my red diamond stitched seats.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Here is the complete wheel installed. The red stitching goes great with my red diamond stitched seats.

View attachment 270450
looks great! Who made the wheel?
What paddles are those?

Did you have the airbag re done with the red stitch? If so, how does that affect if the airbag goes off?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks great! Who made the wheel?
What paddles are those?

Did you have the airbag re done with the red stitch? If so, how does that affect if the airbag goes off?
The wheel and airbar cover was supplied by askcarbon. You can find them on instagram or FB. The paddles are copies from a Urus. Just remove the old paddles and these fit right in using the oem elecronics. The complete aribar cover was replaced with a new cover and I ordered it with the red stitching. I still have the old oem one. It won't affect the airbag deployment.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
The wheel and airbar cover was supplied by askcarbon. You can find them on instagram or FB. The paddles are copies from a Urus. Just remove the old paddles and these fit right in using the oem elecronics. The complete aribar cover was replaced with a new cover and I ordered it with the red stitching. I still have the old oem one. It won't affect the airbag deployment.
That’s who I ordered from too. I didn’t like the Urus paddles but now that I see yours I do like them. They made me a custom paddle that was 3cm shorter than their typical long carbon one.

So you take the guts out of your OEM paddles and put them in the paddles they supply? Is that how it works?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s who I ordered from too. I didn’t like the Urus paddles but now that I see yours I do like them. They made me a custom paddle that was 3cm shorter than their typical long carbon one.

So you take the guts out of your OEM paddles and put them in the paddles they supply? Is that how it works?
Once you have the OEM paddles off the steering wheel, there is a metal pin that needs to slide out. Remove the pin and the paddle comes away from the electronic part. Put the new paddle on and slide the pin back in. The pin acts as a hinge. Be carful when you pop off the silver trim and control buttons. There are wires underneath that need to be disconnected that run to the paddle shifter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts